Rumor: Slim PS3 on the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different experience? They just snatched out the UMD drive and gave it some internal memory. Hardly a different experience especially considering that UMD hasn't been much of a success and there seems to be a relatively healthy segment of owners who use their memory sticks for their PSP content.

Sure it´s a different experience. Your games will load much faster, you can have 10-20 games loaded and always at hand (number depends on game size). You are also totally dependent on some kind of download service, which may appeal to some people others not at all.

The PSPGo is also considerably smaller which matters a lot in the portable space. Remember the price premium that small mobile phones used to carry before they became common?
Using myself as an example I never considered buying a first generation DS or PSP because I found them to bulky. The PSP3000 is still a fairly big device to put in your pocket. The PSPGo seems to be in the DS territory sizewise and will probably sell really well in Japan just because of that.

For a release of a Slim version you need composants with low heat…
Have we got some news infomations for the die-shrink of Cell and RSX and their heats?

Precisely what I was wondering.

Cell is at 45nm since some time this year (see this thread) and I believe RSX was at 65m last time I checked.

I would assume for the slim design SCE would (have to) wait until RSX is also at 45nm, when both can probably be merged onto a single die because
- they've shrunk to a quarter of their original size at 90nm
- they're on the same process

Off topic, but for the PSP Go I'm wondering if they'll support DS3 controls like Resistance Retribution did through a PS3 hookup. The PSP Go having BlueTooth basically should allow you to use a DS3 controller, the keypad add-on thingy, headsets, internet through hooking up with your phone, etc. Will be interesting to see how far they'll take it.

dont know if has been mentioned but what will the new Slim come with or not come with. for example will it only come with 2 USB ports and I heard that they are thinking of removing the on/off switch at the back that is current in today's PS3's

I don't think it's THAT slim like the PSTwo to warrant any special low power components. Yes heat should be an issue, but overall you are still dealing with a PS3 that is at least as tall/slightly taller than the Xbox 360 (I measured with relative CD-ROM lengths in PS, and a muddy 360 approximation myself)

On the width factor I can't put a solid relative figure, but most probably again => 360

Most signs point to Toshiba's 45nm being ready for volume, but even 65nm CBE + RSX should theoratically not be a problem at all. The 360 even handled 2 90nm chips in a similar chasis volume, and would have been well off if not for MS cheapening out on ATI. ;)

Precisely what I was wondering.

Cell is at 45nm since some time this year (see this thread) and I believe RSX was at 65m last time I checked.

I would assume for the slim design SCE would (have to) wait until RSX is also at 45nm, when both can probably be merged onto a single die because
- they've shrunk to a quarter of their original size at 90nm
- they're on the same process

There are no 45 nm Cells in any PS3s on the market yet, but the 45 nm design was presented at ISSCC-08 and will probably show up in the slim model in the pictures leaked.

The 45 nm design of the RSX was not even ready for pre-production in october last year (link) so don´t expect it to show up in the new model coming out this fall.

Don´t expect any merged Cell-RSX designs any time soon or ever for that matter because it may not cut any costs. They are after all not on the same process as it is today. The Cell requires an advanced SOI-process and the RSX seems to work with an ordinary CMOS bulk-process.

I don't think it's THAT slim like the PSTwo to warrant any special low power components. Yes heat should be an issue, but overall you are still dealing with a PS3 that is at least as tall/slightly taller than the Xbox 360 (I measured with relative CD-ROM lengths in PS, and a muddy 360 approximation myself)

On the width factor I can't put a solid relative figure, but most probably again => 360

Most signs point to Toshiba's 45nm being ready for volume, but even 65nm CBE + RSX should theoratically not be a problem at all. The 360 even handled 2 90nm chips in a similar chasis volume, and would have been well off if not for MS cheapening out on ATI. ;)

Ok, but if this "PS3 slim" is in the same size than 360… is not Slim for me…

Maybe they'll make the power adapter external like on the 360?

No idea what will happen to be honest. I'm not expecting the PS3 to become a whole lot smaller, but it may become a bit smaller and lighter (it's very heavy right now).

Well, the net is awash with the slim now, Foxconn and Pegatron aparently have contracts and will ship them out from the end of July.

A new interesting report from W.Morgan...

Wii HD could damage PS3 comeback, says Wedbush Morgan
In our view, if Nintendo can offer such a device* by year-end 2010, it will be in a position to seriously damage Sony’s chances of a comeback this cycle.
We would expect publishers to support such a move, given that the cost of porting an Xbox 360 game to the new Wii Plus HD format would likely be lower than the cost of building a ground up Wii game (we estimate under US$ 5 million). Should Nintendo be able to convince publishers like EA and Take-Two that the Wii Plus should be supported by the entire EA Sports catalog and by the next installment of Grand Theft Auto, it should be in a position to successfully convince consumers that the Wii Plus is the last console they will ever need to purchase.

( * 1080p, 60fps, NextGen wiimote, backwards compatibility etc)

Agreed but if they manage to keep the psu internal, it's still a nice improvement.

Even if it were to be an external PSU, I'm counting on the size to be more of notebook A/C adapters instead of the 360trocity, due to the lesser amount of power draw needed.

Hopefully with the 45nm chips total power consumption will <110W peak, substantially smaller bricks are possible.

BTW backplate pic (below) does NOT make sense if the PS3 needs to be oriented vertically.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/Wollan/PS3_Slim_5.jpg

Shouldn't the "slab" at least get to share one of the edge with the curvature surfaces?

Pachter's a clown, though. First he says: 'PS3 will have a huge comeback, 360 will be third place. Then he adds: but if there's a Wii HD, that'd crush the PS3 comeback'. He's clearly in the realm of fanfic now.

Effectivelly! ;)
For me he's like horoscope in press people magazin. He predict many things in the hope that one is right! :LOL:
But did he predict something right one time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I get what you mean now.

I was thinking of a PS2(fat)-ish slab where quite some of the weight is present there.

Really absurd...why these analystes have this stupid conviction? The developers haven't said is more cheaper a multi ps360 not long time ago then 360 & wii? Why the wiiHD (a totally new console following its opinion but I really doubt it) would be different and less expensive of the ps3 in 2010 :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure it´s a different experience. Your games will load much faster, you can have 10-20 games loaded and always at hand (number depends on game size). You are also totally dependent on some kind of download service, which may appeal to some people others not at all.

The PSPGo is also considerably smaller which matters a lot in the portable space. Remember the price premium that small mobile phones used to carry before they became common?
Using myself as an example I never considered buying a first generation DS or PSP because I found them to bulky. The PSP3000 is still a fairly big device to put in your pocket. The PSPGo seems to be in the DS territory sizewise and will probably sell really well in Japan just because of that.

Yes, its more portable but the core experience is still the same and having 10-20 games downloaded from PSN and readily available on the PSP has been around for a while now.

I can understand that Sony will like to give time to retailers to dwindle their current stock of PS3 but even the PS2 slimline was introduced a couple of months before release. The PS3 Slim is a marketable event and I doubt that Sony will just release them into the wild without trying to create some level of hype before they are actually available for retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back