Movie Reviews 2.0

Soooo

Watched Frozen the other day with my stalker. Won't go into it any more than that but a fun movie to watch if you are not alone.

Depends on your tolerance for singing Disney princesses. I was sort of half-okay with Tangled, but I couldn't wait for Frozen to be over despite the pleasant company. I guess I just hate musicals with a passion. I find the concept of replacing normal communication with singing utterly bewildering and stupid.

My wife is a Disney obsessive (I blame the parents) and so I was forced to watch Frozen with her the other day. For all of the hype in the media about it being the best Disney film ever, I couldn't help but think it was inferior to Tangled, and thought it was little more than "Tangled on Ice".

In comparison to the better Pixar movies, neither Tangled nor Frozen has anything to show.

Oh, my wife also loves musicals so I've been forced to watch a few of those as well. I find it very difficult not to laugh out loud when the Chorus hams it up and gurns at the audience during the musical numbers. I think I just perhaps must be lacking the theatrical gene so can't appreciate this kind of stuff!

I find the concept of replacing normal communication with singing utterly bewildering and stupid.
I cant understand it as well, theyre aimed at kids, yet kids (& most adults) hate the songs.

btw Ive seen 105 animated disney films (still need to see Victory Through Air Power 1943, Make Mine Music 1946, Song of the South 1946, Doug's 1st Movie 1999)

Edge of Tomorrow felt like a videogame in some ways.
Incredible movie; I only saw the movie-poster so I was completely caught off-guard :D

Edge of Tomorrow felt like a videogame in some ways.
Incredible movie; I only saw the movie-poster so I was completely caught off-guard :D

I keep hearing good things about it, but it has been pretty quiet on the marketing front... It came and went without much noise.

I keep hearing good things about it, but it has been pretty quiet on the marketing front... It came and went without much noise.

You mean like the days they were all over everything for doing premiers in London, Paris and New York on the same day? And again when they did it again in the Far East?

In this day and age, something arrives, gets consumed and then the media and all of us are onto the next thing.

You mean like the days they were all over everything for doing premiers in London, Paris and New York on the same day? And again when they did it again in the Far East?

In this day and age, something arrives, gets consumed and then the media and all of us are onto the next thing.

Maybe I missed it but it definitely was a more muted launch than a lot of other movies.

I know EoT from reading Kotaku, and it got there because it was an adaptation from a Japanese novel. If it wasn't an adaptation from Japanese novel then it wouldn't be on Kotaku thus I probably wouldn't watch is because I simply don't know that it existed. My sister just plain didn't know that it existed. She wanted to watch X-men, but one (or few) of her friend either already watch it or just doesn't like X-men. I think their first alternative is that Jolie movie, but again, some already watched it, thus it came to this unknown Tom Cruise movie... and all of this happening at the theatre with zero research about the movie.
Anyway, it wasn't promoted enough... Or maybe the promotion drowned behind those super heroes movies.

I actually watched EoT during the first weekend, before much of the marketing work had been carried out. The theatre was less than half full as I recall. I seem to recal that Cruise and Co appeared on various UK chat shows/interviews around a week after the opening weekend instead of the week before as usual. It certainly went under the radar a little bit over here.

I've just watched Transformer. I know that I'll probably watch it for the eye candy, but what I don't expect is that the story is so terrible. I think it's worse than the previous Transformer stories.

Just saw Man of Steel on bluray. I have to say that it is spectacularly bad. The script is so bad and the action sequences are just so over-done. No aspect of the movie made me care; Superman fighting Zod? I don't care. Superman saving Lois Lane? Who cares? Metropolis totally destroyed? Okay, so what? Superman wins? Okay, fine.

There's no humour, no tongue-in-cheek which makes Iron man or the Avengers fun.

It takes itself too seriously, it has a terrible script and no amount of decent acting can save it. I give it 2/10.

Back