Movie Reviews 2.0

Edge of Tomorrow is pretty entertaining and well worth a watch.

Some quite good bits of humour in there as well as all the action.

Yeah I agree, it was much better than I expected it to be first 2 thirds were better than the last 3rd IMO but still an excellent film overall.

Did you see the trailer beforehand? It really hits the brown note. Could not expect anything but the worst after watching that.

Just saw "Oblivion" --much better than I thought it'd be from the trailers, which screamed "generic sci-fi movie kicked out by a computer scriptwriting program".

Oh, hi. Been away awhile. How ya been? Miss me? ;)

A while???!

Nice to see you too, Wavey. :smile: I haven't had any eye-popping run-ons to edit for awhile. Had to copyedit two massive volumes by a PhD on the Academy Awards (google "Who Won?!" by Robert James) to get that old feeling back just a little. :cool:

What have you been doing Geo, besides watching Oblivion? :)

A little of this, a little of that. A lot of Robert A. Heinlein, a bit of Civil War, a bit of an independent publishing company run by my wife (which is where I copyedited those two movie volumes), a lot of other better paying work.

I almost edited your post just now by hitting the wrong button. :LOL: I've sent a PM to the team to please move my account back to whatever status old fogies enjoy without having staff privileges. So, no point in asking me to lead a coup d'etat. :D Also, I was afraid I might succumb to temptation and ban and unban Digi a couple dozen times just for the nostalgia of the thing.

Just saw "Oblivion" --much better than I thought it'd be from the trailers, which screamed "generic sci-fi movie kicked out by a computer scriptwriting program".

Yes it is very good. Not totally original but almost all sci-fi stuff borrows something from something.

If you enjoyed Oblivion, you'll probably enjoy Edge of Tomorrow as well as both are pretty good.

It has to be said, though Cruise may be a bit whacky in real life, he does tend to select pretty reasonable roles in the movies. Very few really bad films in his resume and most are quite enjoyable.

Father's Day gift was How to Train Your Dragon 2 yesterday. Meh. I liked the first one better. The visuals are spectacular in this sequel, but it really felt like a handful of set pieces cobbled together via a kludgy script.

Welcome back, Geo. Missed opportunity banning/unbanning Digi though. :p

Soooo

Watched Frozen the other day with my stalker. Won't go into it any more than that but a fun movie to watch if you are not alone.

Also watched snowpiercer. American movie directed by a famous Korean director/actor. The world fell into another iceage and all the survivors are riding on one train. The back is very much a slum and the more you get to the front the better life gets. At first it felt very fallout to me but gradually it got worse to the point where you start thinking things just didn't really make sense anymore. Wouldn't recommend to watch this movie unless you have 2 hours with nothing better to do.

A movie I did like a lot was Lone survivor. It's based on a true story during the Afghan war. A bunch of soldiers are send on a mission to kill a bad guy. Needless to say things go south and from there on it becomes a battle to survive.

Normally I don't like Iraq/Afghan war movies that much mostly because it is hard to sympathies with them. Wars mostly fought for money more than anything else. WWII has the good guys vs bad guys, Vietnam wars focus more on how fucked up things actually were but Iraq/Afghan war movies are more like a bad promotion for those wars.

Anyhow, the reason I liked Lone survivor was because it actually focused more on the individuals and their direct problems instead of the war itself. I recommand watching this movie.

Back