[PS3] Uncharted 2

Also had some griefs with the gameplay shortly after
what the heck is triggering the defeat of the goat-yeti, and why the heck do I have to figure this out by trial-and-dying. I still dont have a clue what does it, I think you need to get up close to get the quicktime events twice?

The answer to your question I think
is that you have to get enough hits on it to trigger the event. Similarly to the boss-guy on the train, it's not just time dependant. A good way of fighting the 'goat-yeti' is to keep running (or circling him as close as possible so that he can't catch you) and keep (blind) firing. He'll catch you eventually, but as long as your health is good, he won't kill you. Repeat this until you beat him

Not necessarily LED, just Samsung LCD/LED TV's in general. It's not limited to LCD tech either, some Plasmas have pretty bad input lag as well (Samsung and even some Pioneer Kuros). Pretty much all HDTV's have input lag due to the processing of the video signal causing the delay, but some have more lag than others obviously. Panasonic has fairly low input lag which is why I'm most likely going to buy a Panasonic PDP as my next TV purchase.
Did you read the link?

Thanks for the link! I'm actually quite shocked at the large difference. When I first hooked up the PS3 to that Samsung TV set, I thought the PS3 or the controller was less responsive or even broken, perhaps because of it being in 1080p mode rather than 720p which I am used to from my own set.

This list is quite an eye opener. I'm really hoping (for my sisters sake) that game-mode will make a noticable difference to the better, as I'm beginning to think my catastrophic performance on normal-mode in the game has a lot to do with the Samsung's horrendous lag. If it'd be the only TV set I knew, I guess I could re-adjust to it, but I'm just used to something better...

Actually, now that I think of it - since I haven't used "game-mode" yet, I am pretty certain the lag is above 100ms - that sounds about right when I consider how sluggish controlling the XMB felt. I will have to check for sure when I get there to see which TV model number they have...

Input lag will definately be a decisive factor when I buy my next projector (which will be 1080p). Lag above 100ms is just scary.

Did you read the link?
Did I look at the input lag numbers? Yes. Did I read it? No, I don't understand Italian. Plus I question some of those numbers as I have seen several tests myself from members at AVSForum and never have I seen LCD/LED TV's exceed 90ms. Is that still bad? Of course it is, but that's well in the range of Samsung's other displays (PDP, LCD). My point was, all Samsung displays have relatively high input lag, whether it be their LCD's, 'LED' TV's, or their PDP's. Then I went on further explaining that all HDTV's have input lag, some more so than others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic: My Samsung is an 07 model (lns3251d rated at 8ms) and I've never had any input lag problems. Mine does have a game mode but I've never used as it's configured for the xbox 360s component input - it is possible to readjust the settings but I've never bothered with it. I guess the best possible thing to do if you're buying a new set is to make sure to test the TV beforehand to distinguish if there's any input lag - I'd recommend asking the store to hook up a console to it and test the settings there if you're unsure.

My Samsung Plasma (PS42B450) has no noticeable input lag... :p
Well here's a thread on Plasma's and input lag where people have done tests on the B650 (Samsung 09) and A650 (Samsung 08) Plasmas and have measured ~60ms, which is right around what Samsung LCD's measure. Whether you notice it or not is another question, because not everyone does. I didn't notice any input lag on my Samsung LCD until I played KZ2. Then I bought RB2 and confirmed that there is indeed lag.

As you can see, even a 9G Pioneer Kuro (5020) has fairly bad input lag whereas Panasonic is fairly low.

Off topic: My Samsung is an 07 model (lns3251d rated at 8ms) and I've never had any input lag problems.

I'm new to the topic as I haven't really used an LCD for gaming before, but I'm actually pretty certain I wouldn't have noticed it, if all I had was the LCD set. I certainly wouldn't have attributed it to the TV but probably down to the XMB or game being that way. Having a benchmark to compare it to kind of highlights it. I checked the list and while I didn't find the specific model number (maybe they're different in Europe), I'm going to assume on of the LED tv fits the bill at 100+ ms of lag.

Anyway, sorry if I dragged this a bit off-topic. ;)

Off topic: My Samsung is an 07 model (lns3251d rated at 8ms) and I've never had any input lag problems.

The 8ms figure is for response time, not for input lag. Response time means how fast a pixel can go from black to white and to black again. Maybe it was all clear for you, but I read that as you might have confused the two.

The 8ms figure is for response time, not for input lag. Response time means how fast a pixel can go from black to white and to black again. Maybe it was all clear for you, but I read that as you might have confused the two.

I guess I misread what you guys were talking about. I thought people were talking about their TVs being responsible for the input lag.

We are, and TV's are responsible (to an extent) for input lag. Response time, however, is a separate issue and is not related to input lag. Because most modern HDTV's do so much processing to the video signal, it causes a delay between your device and what is being displayed. When you watch a movie, you won't notice anything, but when you're playing video games, you may notice a slight delay in the controls.

To test input lag, most people connect a PC to the display they want to test, as well as a display that is known for having no input lag (typically a CRT monitor) and then they run the counter test as seen in the photos in the link I posted few posts up.

My experience also is that Samsung processing is not great. They take short-cuts where consumer cannot see.

They are best for marketing. They sold many TVs with false advertising and so now all the companys do the same false advertising. Also, Samsung LED technology is not good. It has not enough accuracy for local dimming. But people don't know that not all LED technology is the same.

Also I have to say this. I have a friend who used to repair TVs and he loves plasma TVs. He says because of LCD his business is down but at least plasma TV give him some business.

You are right DJSkribbles we are not on topic on this.

Ah okay. I was confused by the link someone posted with all the ms stuff (guess I misunderstood what input lag was). I was thinking (with all those 150ms numbers) that people where getting bad ghosting/smearing picture from really high response times. Funny my TV does do a lot of that extra processing stuff (DNIE, DNR etc) but I haven't noticed any. But I'm guessing if I did some testing against a crt I'd probably notice some.

Well personally, I'm a fan of their displays. They generally offer a lot of picture tweakability like a color management system is almost standard on all of their mid to higher-end displays, and they offer full grayscale/white balance adjustments in the user menu. I also (generally) find their displays aesthetically pleasing. They are also fairly close to the 'standard' out of the box which is a plus for people who don't have the equipment to calibrate on their own or aren't willing to spend a considerable amount to get it professionally ISF calibrated.

The only type of TV's from them that I don't necessarily like, are their 'LED' TV's. They cost considerably more than the typical CCFL backlit display, but they're only edge-lit so there is little benefit over a traditional LCD. Their new LED backlit display with local dimming, however, is a great TV but it costs an arm and a leg.

I'm getting a Plasma for my next TV, and the only reason I'm not getting an 09 Samsung PDP (which have been getting very good reviews) is because they have more temporal image retention issues than Panasonic or Pioneer. They also have bad input lag like their LCD's.

Anyway, maybe this discussion should be moved Video Technology, Displays, & HTPC section.

F*** Lazarevic is frustrating on the harder difficulty settings. I wish they had a checkpoint for each time he gets mad. I don't even know if I want to attempt it again as I know I'll just break something.... I quit before I got really angry.

F*** Lazarevic is frustrating on the harder difficulty settings. I wish they had a checkpoint for each time he gets mad. I don't even know if I want to attempt it again as I know I'll just break something.... I quit before I got really angry.

Crushing is pretty hardcore, it takes skill, it can get frustrating but it's supposed to be hardcore, play it at a lower difficulty if it bothers you that much.

If all fails, search youtube. There are tricks/tactics that will make it very easy.
1st trick is about hanging from a ledge where he cannot hit you, 2nd is even easier: don`t run away ! Just keep standing by him next to a resin bulb.He will not shoot you. Stun him with the bulb then keep meleeing him until the bulb regenerates. Repeat.

If all fails, search youtube. There are tricks/tactics that will make it very easy.
1st trick is about hanging from a ledge where he cannot hit you, 2nd is even easier: don`t run away ! Just keep standing by him next to a resin bulb.He will not shoot you. Stun him with the bulb then keep meleeing him until the bulb regenerates. Repeat.
:LOL: That's exactly what I did. The second trick you mentioned is what I did. Thank god for easy ways out. :LOL:
Crushing is pretty hardcore, it takes skill, it can get frustrating but it's supposed to be hardcore, play it at a lower difficulty if it bothers you that much.
Heh, I was only playing on Hard. :oops: I'm not a hardcore gamer so I'm not the greatest at shooters. Weird because I'm usually pretty good playing shooters online but I have great difficulty playing shooters on the hardest setting. I probably could beat it on crushing (I beat UC1 on crushing) but I feel that if I attempted it, I would probably break my hands from punching things.

But the female NPC character was downright scary looking.

So true. I think some of the regular npcs looked better than her. I don't think they quite got her right in my opinion.

On a side note, I love Uncharted 2 and it is indeed the best looking game on consoles in my opinion.

...Of course it's impossible to know for sure but I think the conclusion still stands that if it were an open world game it probably wouldn't have the visual fidelity that it has now.

If anyone could achieve it though I would think it would be ND, even with the stunning level of fidelity they have now they still admit there is room for improvement. And even if they dropped to just UC1's level they would still have one of the best looking open world games on a console!

On a side note, I love Uncharted 2 and it is indeed the best looking game on consoles in my opinion.

I second your opinion!

Back