[PS3] Uncharted 2

I had an odd experience today during 1 match, my connection would randomly "stop" and I wouldn't be able to move. This was happening to pretty much everyone during the match at all times. Very strange.

Beat the game on Hard a few days ago.

I bought the game for SP and I'm glad that was still the main focus by ND. The MP didn't appeal to me at all and the co-op was disappointing. The AI in co-op simply does not exist. They spawn at pre determined points, travel their scripted paths and shoot. During the script you can shoot them all day and they'll never acknowledge it. Not to mention, it's often fighting wave after wave of enemies spawning from the same location making the co-op tedius and boring.

Back so SP thought which is the main reason I bought the game. The SP had a good lenght. The script and story follow that of a major summer action blockbuster thus don't expect depth but expect to be entertained. The pacing of the game is good. The last quarter is a bit weak but the first 3/4 keeps things going.

The graphics in the game are amazing. Esp chapter 16, which while is more of a tech demo than a level still goes a long way to set the bar. A vibrant color palette certainly doesn't hurt anything. THe game is at it's best in ourdoor, bright enviornments. In caves and indoors, it doesn't really stand out against other top notch games.

The audio is the game is also top notch. Good use of surrounds without over doing it like other games often tend to do.

The gameplay is pretty straight forward. Take cover, shoot. Advance. Rinse and repeat. However the progression in hand to hand combat is most welcomed. It's a bit simple but still an improvement over the first one and generally works well.

THe worst part of the game is the platforming and puzzles. There is a LOT of if in the game and it's never really fun. Drake will jump a mile if he's following the right path but he can't leap two feet if you're not doing what the game is asking of you! The heavy scripting in platforming takes all the fun out of it. If they want to focus this much on platforming, they need to focus on making it better then. Or take it out. I had a few issues where I wasn't in the right spot for a cut scene initiate or I'd great frustrated and jump leap to my death hoping I'd reach the right area.

All said and done, this is the first PS3 exclusive that I properly enjoyed and found to be fun and without major issues. I certainly look forward to the sequel. I'd rate the game a solid 8/10.

For UC3, I'd like to see better platforming, thus more freedom to move around, larger scale battles and enemies who are not buller sponges. I think if they can/could add more enemies on screen and bigger scale battles, they could certainly reduce their armor. It would make the game even better.

I bought the game for SP and I'm glad that was still the main focus by ND. The MP didn't appeal to me at all and the co-op was disappointing. The AI in co-op simply does not exist. They spawn at pre determined points, travel their scripted paths and shoot. During the script you can shoot them all day and they'll never acknowledge it. Not to mention, it's often fighting wave after wave of enemies spawning from the same location making the co-op tedius and boring.

Back so SP thought which is the main reason I bought the game. The SP had a good lenght. The script and story follow that of a major summer action blockbuster thus don't expect depth but expect to be entertained. The pacing of the game is good. The last quarter is a bit weak but the first 3/4 keeps things going.

The graphics in the game are amazing. Esp chapter 16, which while is more of a tech demo than a level still goes a long way to set the bar. A vibrant color palette certainly doesn't hurt anything. THe game is at it's best in ourdoor, bright enviornments. In caves and indoors, it doesn't really stand out against other top notch games.

The audio is the game is also top notch. Good use of surrounds without over doing it like other games often tend to do.

The gameplay is pretty straight forward. Take cover, shoot. Advance. Rinse and repeat. However the progression in hand to hand combat is most welcomed. It's a bit simple but still an improvement over the first one and generally works well.

THe worst part of the game is the platforming and puzzles. There is a LOT of if in the game and it's never really fun. Drake will jump a mile if he's following the right path but he can't leap two feet if you're not doing what the game is asking of you! The heavy scripting in platforming takes all the fun out of it. If they want to focus this much on platforming, they need to focus on making it better then. Or take it out. I had a few issues where I wasn't in the right spot for a cut scene initiate or I'd great frustrated and jump leap to my death hoping I'd reach the right area.

All said and done, this is the first PS3 exclusive that I properly enjoyed and found to be fun and without major issues. I certainly look forward to the sequel. I'd rate the game a solid 8/10.

For UC3, I'd like to see better platforming, thus more freedom to move around, larger scale battles and enemies who are not buller sponges. I think if they can/could add more enemies on screen and bigger scale battles, they could certainly reduce their armor. It would make the game even better.

Did you try the co-op arena I could not get past round 10.

Get help from deepbrown. He seems really into U2 co-op (Got 2 invites from him while I was away). Kittonwy is a good partner too since he loves U2 MP (plus he's funny).

I suspect if you get JardeL, he'll probably steamroll the enemies also.

I feel that Halo 3's mp experience is vastly superior to that of UC2's mp portion.The gametypes in Halo 3 are simply more fun in my humble opinion.

It's a totally different type of game! in Halo or KZ you can't jump and climb or scale up to higher areas of the map. You can't sneak up behind someone and choke them to death. You can't creep up to a ledge and fling some camper 100feet to his death. You can't roll. You can't hide behind cover. It is simply not comparable.

Also I have to say the chain reaction game type is just brilliant! I think that is my favorite mode so far for me. It's a great idea.

I've shot enemies as soon as they've appeared in co-op and I think you are missing the point of it slightly.

The aim is to progress through the level in a co-operative manner, so if you are all there just taking out enemies you are achieving that goal.

It's not like say the co-op in Ninja Gaiden 2 where you just have to kill everything, in U2 you have to get to the objective and checkpoints.

I like the way the enemies spawn (although it did annoy me until I worked it out as both my co-op partner and I where on our first play in co-op mode)

RobertR1 said:
There is a LOT of if in the game and it's never really fun. Drake will jump a mile if he's following the right path but he can't leap two feet if you're not doing what the game is asking of you! The heavy scripting in platforming takes all the fun out of it.

I usually think of it this way. The right path has enough grip for Nate, so even if it's further away, he has to go for it. The later levels have temporal and spatial variation in platforming to spice things up too.

I thought platforming is very well done for what they are trying to achieve (One crisis after another, Indiana Jones style). The fact that people miss the "grip" cues and fall to their deaths tell me that at least it's not a no-brainer.

IMHO...
If they want to, they may introduce harder platforming as U3 side quests, or as long as it doesn't break the main story pacing.

Am very keen to try R&C:ACiT and The Last Guardian to see how their developers mix story, platforming and action differently to make an entirely different game.

It's a totally different type of game! in Halo or KZ you can't jump and climb or scale up to higher areas of the map. You can't sneak up behind someone and choke them to death. You can't creep up to a ledge and fling some camper 100feet to his death. You can't roll. You can't hide behind cover. It is simply not comparable.

Also I have to say the chain reaction game type is just brilliant! I think that is my favorite mode so far for me. It's a great idea.

This is what I like about the multiplayer being able to transverse through the level by climbing definitely adds to the experience.

THe game is at it's best in ourdoor, bright enviornments. In caves and indoors, it doesn't really stand out against other top notch games.

I thought Level 17 and 18 (Mountaineering and Heart of Ice) were actually some of the most stunning environments in the game.

A few quick words...

Just pick the game up an 1hr ago... the only thing I can say is :oops:!

The best looking console graphics I have seen in quite some time. The lighting, texturing, and draw distance is f'ing unbelievable. I can't believe how the lighting is awesome... awesome being an understatement. Well, back to the game... :D

Three Crappy Blackberry pics:
Outside.jpg

blue2.jpg

Blue.jpg

Lol the lighting is beautiful, probably best in class, but off screen Blackberry pics can't quite convey that :smile:

The only things I would disagree with are the bullet sponge enemies and the indoor environments. I can think of many indoor area's that were simply stunning like
the cavern where you find the dead bodies and light the blue flame, or the 'light bouncing' puzzle, which was also indoors

Enemies do take a lot of hits, but like I said before, this is simply something that happens with all videogames. I'm not saying that's an excuse, but it's certainly not as bad as some other games (which I will not mention).

Enemies do take a lot of hits, but like I said before, this is simply something that happens with all videogames. I'm not saying that's an excuse, but it's certainly not as bad as some other games (which I will not mention).

I would say it is an exaggeration that "all videogames" do this.

I don't have UC2 so I cannot say one way other another, but this definitely seems to be a "preference" area that seems to frequently coincide with the skill based nature of the game. Cover games (outside of like GRAW) tend to be a lot more forgiving than traditional shooters. You soak up hits and your enemies do too. Then you have games like CoD where a couple pops and the guys go down (+ hardcore which is even more brutal). One thing that turned me off from GeoW2, besides the net lag, was that your standard guns resulted in a lot of "spay" fights. Not totally devoid of skill, but also not as rewarding as a solid flanking movement resulting in you taking out an entire side by yourself. The only saving grace in GeoW2 is that there were some weapons that changed this pace (+ nades, saw).

From what I have seen UC2 uses more realistic weapons so that makes it a little more challenging to get that variety. Space/SciFi shooters have that advantage to be more creative at weapon balance / range / alt fires.

Anyhow, I can think of a lot of console shooters that don't utilize the sponge model. It isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as it is balanced and works with the gameplay mode/theme.

I'm not saying that's an excuse, but it's certainly not as bad as some other games (which I will not mention).
games are meant to be chiefly fun
not just damage but just movement,(I havent played the game but) Im sure no human could do what drake does (running,jumping around continuously)

imagine if the game was realistic you'ld have situations like

player ( with the joystick ) left left left you cunt
drake (on his back wheezing away) fuck off

Took the time this weekend and finished the game on Crushing. I actually didn't find it that hard at all and I even got the survivor medal on it. Only thing that really sucked was that I missed 5 treasures (I was hoping I'd get them all). Looks like I'll have to crawl over the levels again looking for them. I also found a few interesting bugs/glitches in the game. For instance,
after schaffer dies leave the room and jump to the next rooftop. Dispose of the two enemies then hang from the ledge opposite the side from where you jumped over (the camera will be facing the door from where you jumped). Shimy along the right side and the ToD will change. Pull yourself back up the ledge and the sun will change position again.

not just damage but just movement,(I havent played the game but) Im sure no human could do what drake does (running,jumping around continuously)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Was having fun playing co-op arena until after level 10...
only 10 levels wtf I was expecting something along the lines like horde, 50 lvls. It was just starting to get good :(

Yea, that's my point exactly. If the enemies take less damage, how do you tune it so the challenge is still there? Force enemies into cover and have them utilize blind fire? Stock them up with dozens of grenades to flank you out while using blind fire?

If they can only take a few hits, you never have to come out of cover with a 3rd person camera and blind fire. The game literally becomes a breeze. For those who think I'm lying, turn on 1 hit kills, play on crushing, and then laugh it off because not one section in the game is ever difficult. You can literally use blind fire for almost every scenario in the game and leave unscathed. It's just not fun.

This model works in a First Person Shooter because they usually don't have a cover mechanic, so you bob in and out of cover (a wall) to kill the enemies, exposing yourself, there's no blind fire.

Edit: This is getting way off topic. I'll stop the discussion here, sorry everyone.

Just got to chapter 16. :oops: One of the very few times in my gaming history where my jaw literally dropped. Even though not much is going on, I can't believe ND pulled this off on the PS3. And I'm just loving the game so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
More words... lol

The further I get, the more eye candy becomes a sweet tooth :oops:. The “Nepal” skyline is breathtaking, especially during the
"Fish out of water"
view (LMAO). The cinematic production and sound is topnotch also…

What really makes me love this game is the “Humor”. No other game that I have ever played, made me laugh so much or enjoyed playing?

Back