Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

It says there at the bottom:
PS3/360: 720 (scaled internally) 30fps
XBOne: 720 60fps
PS4: 1080 60fps

'Scaled internally' is code for sub-720 rendering.
PS3 #1
pic_night_ps_ps3.jpg

pic_daytime_ps_ps3.jpg

PS4 #1
pic_night_ps_ps4.jpg

pic_daytime_ps_ps4.jpg

360 #1
pic_night_xbox_360.jpg

XBOne #1
pic_night_xbox_one.jpg

I can only link 6 pics, but you can see the last 2 pics of the 360/XBOne comparison in the original link.

I meant direct like for like comparisons

I have a better native screenshot (948ko) of MGS5 on PS4 where we can clearly see the clean and sharp post AA:

mgsv_1080p.jpg

I think I already posted it somewhere... But some may want to see it again.

In my opinion this kind of sharp and clean 1080p (like Tomb Raider DE or AC4), even cross-gen, is better and has a better "next-gen" effect than some of the full "next gen" titles.

Found some Dark Souls 2 screengrabs from the 360 version:

http://i.imgur.com/1aZvThu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YJ9RtHs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/h8fkkJk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MItMQGK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mZsapOO.jpg

Looks like sub-HD to me (is it 1024*720 with 2xMSAA again?) and this version is apparently not v-synced, any noble soul willing to spill the beans on this one? thanks in advance.

It's 1280x720 with some post-AA (looks like FXAA). The compression is really fudging the presentation tbh.

Here's some cropped pics I took from the last Infamous IGN gameplay video.

What am I looking at?

Infamous_shooting_motion_blur_2_cropped.png

Infamous_shooting_motion_blur_3_cropped.png

I know the motion blur is heavy in this game, but are those things only ghosting artifacts created by the (evidently too strong) motion blur?

A miserable pile of artefacts. :p

----

Dunno. Seems very suspicious and familiar. *cough* Wonder if it has to do with those derp'd screenshots that look 1920x540. *cough*

hmm hmm mmm.... /time to take a rest.

---

It'd be best just to wait for non-shit captures to analyze (to rule out accidental frame blending on IGN's part, which they did have issues with for COD: Ghosts)

Not a pixel counter but, my first 20 second try got me something like ~800 vertical.

So I'm guessing they stuck at 792P. Disappointing if so.

Edit: So I wasn't too far off.

Edit deux:
Alstrong said 792P 2XAA too before his edit, just to confirm.

I can't believe we're still getting games with upscaled UI... it looks so bad. And it's not even hard to do right, yet not a whole lot do it right...

What's really telling is that they couldn't reach 800p.

Psychologically 792p is still in the 720p-ish resolution for most people.

If they could have added 8p and reach 800p!
Like The Order 1886!! (not really, I know)

They really must be limited by this 32MB vram limit.

@TheWretched Maybe they upscale the UI to save more kilobytes of Video memory reserved for the (double) framebuffer @ 2xMSAA & textures?

@TheWretched Maybe they upscale the UI to save more kilobytes of Video memory reserved for the (double) framebuffer @ 2xMSAA & textures?

Well, the OS upscales the final output buffer to the display resolution anyways... so the OS should provide a way to overlay the final UI after the upscale (or within the upscale process). Wasn't the Xbox hailed for its "three display panes" that allowed for exactly that?

Its Forward Rendered game, the 32mb edram is not a problem even for 1080p.

Do you think this would have to do with it? I'm not sure what would be the bottleneck in this case:

Digital Foundry: But Source is fast, right? It has to be if I can play Portal 2 at 720p60 on a Surface Pro.

Drew McCoy: The thing about the Source Engine when we got it is that we actually branched from Portal 2. It was DX9, very single-threaded and they used the way that engine worked to its best possible potential for Portal. It can't render that much on-screen. The main thread just can't push out enough jobs, so we've done a huge amount of work. We didn't choose this engine because it was going to be 60, we chose this engine knowing that we'd be spending the next two years making it fast.

It's actually a pretty slow engine for showing stuff on-screen. What we have in a level now would run in single digits on what it was before - if you could even get it to load at all. It's been a huge engineering task, so what we did was put all the engineering [team] on the back-end so design [team] could be up and running at the task, otherwise engineering would have to be creating tools and design would be sitting around twiddling their thumbs. We only have a dozen or so engineers - it's pretty small for the amount of work they've done.

Its Forward Rendered game, the 32mb edram is not a problem even for 1080p.

Ahh.. it'd be a big problem when it comes to how you manage shadow maps.

Unlike a pure deferred renderer, and assuming a single pass forward renderer, then all your shadow maps must all be accessible for the majority of the frame. The sunlight cascades in titanfall look pretty high res.

So you'd have the msaa depth and color buffers - one would assume fp16 rgba. Plus a resolve target for the color buffer... that doesn't leave an enormous amount of space for shadow maps. Although you could probably have the depth and rgb resolve target alias. And from that point on post processing would have most of the space free to use as it needs.

So you'd be looking at just over 6mb free after the main render target+depth. That wouldn't be enough for two 1k shadow maps, unless they were 16bit.

Back