How much do you pay for your internet connection?

In QC/ON (Canada):
1.5M/384K DSL goes for ~US$20 (30CND)
You can get 3M/640K for ~US$40 (dslreports.net)
Or cable (3M/200K) for ~US$30 (dslreports.net)

If you wondered why Canada had a reputation for having the cheapest internet.. :D

$50 U.S. for 768k/768k DSL with no limit.

I feel it's a bit on the expensive side, but the service has been excellent, and the only alternative is 1.5M/128k cable for just a few bucks less, with substantially worse service.

SEK 399 a month, which should be about US$ 50, for 1M/384k Cable connection.
In a few months that will be either 10M/9M VDSL or 8M/1M ADSL, for the same price. So far no download limits.

Deepak said:
I use dial-up at home.....it is included in the telephone charges! It is very expensive though!

Ditto. 1 pence per minute for a dial-up in the UK. Given that we don't use the home connection that much (a few hours a month), it works out much cheaper than any other options.

$300 every 3 months + $75 every month.
On the third month you still must pay the $75.

($300*4)+($75*12) = $2100 every year

This gives me 3Gb limit every month and once I go over 3Gb my connection slows down between 20Kbps-28.8Kbps. I don't have to pay any extra, I basically have unlimited internet access.

I pay 12e/month for my 10/10mbps ethernet connection supplied by FUNET (Finnish University Network). Yes I know, I'm privileged ;)

45 CND a month for 2.5mb down 400kb up cable. No offical transfer limits, they says its 10gig/5gig but I've almost doubled both 'limits' and I wasn't charged extra or anything :p

Update:
My connection is 10/10Mbps, but they don't guarantee anything. But in practice I think it's always limited by other factors than my ISP.

I tried dslreport's test and it said 774kbps download and 2762 upload (no I didn't swap the figures). But that's across the pond. I tried some other similar tests here in Sweden, and then I get 4-6Mbps download (I haven't found any upload tests here).

On a good day, I get 7Mbps to the file archive at sunet.se .

Kyyla:
Yes, it's nice when your university connects you. My university had the same deal. And before that, the university computer club had a rather good deal. The computer club here was rather early with internet and www. Ethernet connected student housing before most people knew what a modem was. And the fifth web site in the world (back in the days when CERN had a web page that listed all registred web sites).

Basic said:
On a good day, I get 7Mbps to the file archive at sunet.se .

My record is 2MB/s from microsoft.com, so it's actually a bit faster than 10mbit. And yeah, it's great when university hooks you up. This connection used to be even cheaper.

I have 512/128 adsl, costs 35€/month with 4GB limit (and since last week unlimited traffic between 2-7am until the end of the year)

I live in the middle of nowhere and suffered for years with a dial-up connection that would only connect at 26.8 k, thanks to the crappy phone lines and amount of switches, etc... it had to travel.

My local ISP recently installed a fixed wireless system, however, and I was the first to jump on board. $60 USD/month for 1.5Mbps down / 384 kbps up. Since I'm still pretty far from their dish, I typically get about 980k - 1.1 Mbps download speeds, which just tickles me to no end compared to the ol' dial-up crap.

The blessing in disguise is that we use the wireless internet connection for our phoneline now, too: www.vonage.com

I pay a $40 flat fee for unlimited domestic long distance (and Canada too). The system is transparent in that I just run the phone router from my main router to the phone distribution hub, and all our phones are connected through that. In other words, you don't even know it's there, aside from the occasional glitch during conversations. You just pick up a phone, hear a dial tone, and dial away.

The other side effect of living in the country is that everyone my wife calls is long distance: her family, my family, her friends, etc... The net-net of the situation is that even with my $60 wireless internet bill and $40 Vonage bill, I'm still about $100 or more ahead per month with the long distance savings (a $200 long distance bill wasn't uncommon for us!)

your
download «1454 kbps

your
upload «399 kbps

not bad for dsl 43$ can a month plus 15% tax

Thanks everyone. It looks like the internet fee in Taiwan is a bit high, but not ridiculous. I can barely remember the day I used 14.4K modem to connect to the internet :)

I use millenium cablespeed access. I didn't recieve a discount for having the basic cable channels, but I did get a bonus 600 channels just for 10 more bucks a month.

pcchen said:
Thanks everyone. It looks like the internet fee in Taiwan is a bit high, but not ridiculous. I can barely remember the day I used 14.4K modem to connect to the internet :)

Take a look at mine and then compare it to Telstra's broadband prices. o_O

Tried both Cable and DSL together for about a year. Similar prices but no limits (yet) for cable. DSL more Stable (1 down period of 3 hours in about 2 years). Cable painfully slow in aft/eve. Had to make a choice (too expensive for both).

Here's what I got now:

Bell Sympatico: $45 CND including modem rental. 1meg down/128k up.

10 Gig/month limit up/down combined.

They offer $69 CND for 3 meg down with 20 gig limit.

Only regret in getting rid of Cable is newsgroups. Sympatico newsgroups are completely uselss. :cry:

- Stewie

Back