How much do you pay for your internet connection?

pcchen

Veteran
Supporter
People here keep talking about the high fee of internet connection. I think it's interesting to compare with other countries.

Currently I use a 1.5Mbps/384Kps ADSL connection, the monthly fee is NT$1,787 (roughly US$51). I have another slower ADSL connection at home (512Kps/64Kbps) which monthly fee is NT$895 (roughly US$25.5).

I pay $40/month for cable modem access. I do get a $10 discount (normally it's $50/month) for also being a television cable subscriber.

That includes, of course, not only the bandwidth, but the ISP. (My ISP is CableVision).

A few years ago I had ISDN, and it was a much worse deal. I had to buy my own adapter, it was slower, it as "dial-up", and while I had a choice of providers that supported ISDN service, that meant I still had to pay separate ISP fees in addition to having the ISDN lines. I think that was running about $80/month total.

It's about €45/month (inc. 20% VAT) for 512/64 ADSL with 4GB traffic for me. But it's not the best offer, I'm already looking for an alternative.

I use dial-up at home.....it is included in the telephone charges! It is very expensive though!

£25/month for NTHell Cable connection - 600Kbps. Not a bad service but e-mail is a bit flaky at busy times and the newsgroups are pretty crappy.

In theory there is a 1GB/day limit but I'm told they don't complain unless you exceed 30GB/month. I've certainly downloaded over 1GB for several days on the trot without any complaints.

I know some countries have superfast connections - do they also have transfer limits or not?

£30/month (£25 with tv/phone) for telewest 512/128 cable. Service is almost always excellent, 11-15ms pings to telehouse located game servers, good newsgroups, 30mb webspace and no d/l limit. Not bad for the UK pity the uk sucks at broadband in general :(

$30/month for 10Mbps (no modem, just a TP wall outlet).

I don't know if there's any official limit, but I've heard max 7Mbps day average. (That's a lot.)

Earlier it costed $20/month. But my landlord decided it would be better with some competition so they threw out that ISP from the cables. Now there's two competing companies so there can be some price wars. Both charge $30/month.

Nice move. :rolleyes:

Btw, what would you call a connection like mine? I've never seen anyone describe their connection like that, and wonder if any of the abbreviations mean the same thing.

I have a cable modem split between myself and my roommates. Usually pay about 8 bucks a month, (I'm guessing the total is around 40 or 50).

maskrider said:
Around US$30/month for a 6M/256K ADSL connection.

No official transfer limit.

That's quite an unbalanced connection. With a downstream that high, you really should get more upstream... cripes.

I get 1.5M/256K for $40 a month, from ComCast. It'd be more (not sure how much) if I didn't already get their Digital Cable TV though. Hehehe... spend like $80/mo so you can save ~$10/mo on the 'net access. Yay.

They really should increase that discount... :p

Tagrineth said:
maskrider said:
Around US$30/month for a 6M/256K ADSL connection.

No official transfer limit.

That's quite an unbalanced connection. With a downstream that high, you really should get more upstream... cripes.

I get 1.5M/256K for $40 a month, from ComCast. It'd be more (not sure how much) if I didn't already get their Digital Cable TV though. Hehehe... spend like $80/mo so you can save ~$10/mo on the 'net access. Yay.

They really should increase that discount... :p

The ISP would expect users to download a lot more than upload, and that sucks indeed.

Some other ISPs have a symmetric 10M/10M (nominal for sure).

It takes ages to upload the media files to my server from my 256Kbps uplink speed through SFTP. :(

But I will be a lot happier when I am downloading updated FreeBSD ISO images with 6Mbps downstream. :D

I'm still stuck on a dialup connection at home, I live in a place that still hasn't got access to broadband, though the street opposite has! So I pay £14.99 a month for a 24/7 dialup.

I did flirt with a satellite link once but it was too exspensive for what you got. Though the downlink speed was pretty stupendous. Still have the kit somewhere.

At work I have Gigabit connections and access to satellite so I tend to use that the most.

Back