[360] Alan Wake - Still awake

The screen tearing has been greatly reduced from previous showing.
And please comparing the textures to that of max payne 2 is just ridiculous.
As for the gameplay, I am sure it will be solid as evident from the hands on report. So saying otherwise would be like saying that any game which you have not played cannot have good gameplay.

I don't think so... sadly but in the vid it looks more present during cut scene strangely.

Well there's still time for polishing the frame-rate considering from what I've read that the frame-rate is almost always the last thing to fix in a development process - there's still hope I guess, Bioshock was another example where the game had horrendous tearing but the final product came out with a solid frame-rate and no tearing (assuming you don't have the unlock frame-rate option on).

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=60342&postcount=18

We hate dithering and aliasing just as much as you I think. Hardware 4xAA on the Xbox360 is nice for a lot of things - it did take us a while to get the most out of it (E.g, refactoring the renderer quite a few times).

Shadow aliasing doesn't really have anything to do with the generic framebuffer resolution or aliasing quality, but having the game run with 4xAA in the framebuffer is kind of rubbing in any other visual quality problems there might be.

We don't like ugly things, so we fix them before shipping.

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=60352&postcount=23

We like 4xAA. Due to the alpha-to-coverage feature on the Xbox 360 GPU, it's one of the key reasons we can render a lot of "alpha test" foliage like trees and bushes without them starting to shimmer or dither (as alpha-to-coverage with 4xAA effectively gives us 5 samples of alpha "blend" without actually using alpha blend). Of course that leads into a lot of interesting ways how to get the the other "standard" z-buffer based rendering schemes to not alias, but let's not get into that discussion right now.

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=60357&postcount=26

The game is locked to 30 FPS (well, except menus, manuscript pages, etc which run at 60 FPS). All cinematics are guaranteed to run 30 FPS (as we actually background load the next location, in case there's a location change). If you saw video tearing in the published press material, it's 99% due to video sync issues (E.g, PAL video cams or 59.97 Hz vs. 60.00 Hz screen update).

While playing Alan Wake on a Xbox 360, if the game framerate drops below 30 FPS we resort to screen tearing (same idea as Gears of War uses).

We're right now just fixing bugs and making sure nowhere in the game would the framerate never dip below 30 FPS. I know there's still a few heavy locations in the game where we resort to dipping below 30 FPS, but we're working very very hard to get all those solved.

4*MSAA shouldn't be that surprising imo as its using A2C.
It means Plenty of bandwidth available..right ?

Hope it renders at 720p native as it's quite important to me, sub HD games are just too blurry on my TV. But I'm quite impressed by the new 5min gameplay, so hope it breaks that barrier:).

From art direction and design to lighting,atmosphere and story, it looks to me that AW is going to be the epitome of this generation of consoles.

Alan's jacket is more like a joke to me, really. Lighting is good and all, but that is a very low-res piece of geometry with lots of aliasing in the textures and far too sharp normal maps.

Alan's jacket is more like a joke to me, really. Lighting is good and all, but that is a very low-res piece of geometry with lots of aliasing in the textures and far too sharp normal maps.

I am surprised by your statements, because I thought the jacket was neat as it appears to have some sort of cool cloth phyics when Alan moves, which looked good to me...

On the other hand, the phyics for large moving objects need some more tuning, as for instance the big wooden lighthouse piece (or what ever it is) seems to weigh only 10kg, when hitting Alan and afterwards falling down the bridge.

The geometry of the jacket is indeed awful, just look at his arms (eek)...the red "fluffy" like jacket worn by Alan's friend seems to be very nicely detailed though.

P.S.[I think that the sharp normal maps somewhat helps in giving the jacket a coarse & wooly look.]

Otherwise the game looks very nice and if they can really pull off 30 fps + 4xAA then it really is a big technical achievement on top of the nice environments.

Perhaps the jacket is low poly to facilitate cloth physics. Haven't watched any of the recent video's so just throwing that out there.

Regards,
SB

I'm really liking the atmosphere and tone of this. Looks good and certainly on my radar. The Eurogamer preview was very nice.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19856039&postcount=1116"]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19856039&postcount=1116

Found this at Gaf forums !

Their image isn't really fair at all. The indoor renderer in Alan Wake is quite astounding, so the comparison could have been better. Not only are the textures and models high quality, the lighting really sets it off.

Hope they include an option to turn the constant tunnel vision effect off its very distracting. Apart from that its looking great reminded me very much much of the recent RE games, better controls and a interesting setting/story is a recipe for excelence!

I was wondering if anyone had any idea of the memory bandwidth to GPU that Alan Wake needs to run with 64bit HDR, 1280x720, 4xMSAA and all the rest. Any idea?

Back