Why MS needs Blu-ray or doesn't need it... *Spin-off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a second. Are you trying to tell me and everyone else who uses wireless on their PS3 that it doesnt "exist" simply because for you at the very personal level it doesnt have that latest wireless n" you are talking about?

What about the complete absence of it from the 360`s?

No but don't tell me it exists and is a feature the 360 lacks when the ps3 is missing 2 of the 4 wireless standards.

To me i have to buy a wifi usb device for wireless n and i'm sure there are alot of others who have to also and those who need wireless a . The ps3 i own will never have wireless n unless i buy it . Wireless n is better than wireless g in every way and really why did they half ass it and not update to wireless n with the new consoles they put out .

The PS3's library is nearly as good as the 360's now, and Sony looks like it has the edge in terms of christmas exclusives, but I'm not sure a Blu-ray drive at around $150 is worth it for MS.

I disagree with the library . Also the exclusives this holdiay season .

I find many PS3 games at cheaper prices than they initially were at 2/3 the original price, including Uncharted, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword etc. At play.com even MGS4 had a price drop which is a new game.

Gamestop lists uncharted at $59.99 , motorstorm at 59.99 , HS at $49.99 , MGS4 at $60.

You dont get it. I dont have to pay for something extra beyond what I have to pay already to have an internet access. But that wasnt where I was alluding to.

The fact that it is free, it makes it much more userfriendly and convenient. You do not have to worry about subcriptions. I only plug it on whenever I want and I play online without having to keep in mind which months I paid for or if I dont get my money's worth back because my schedule becomes dense and cant play as often. In other words my schedule and paid subscription are completely free and independent. Simply because subsciption is not there.

Free does not make something easier to use , it may make it easier to look over its faults , but it doesn't make it easier to use and doesn't make up for all the features it lacks over the other online service , even the online store has been half assed since launch .

Is that why in terms of sales it does very well and as good as DVDs used to do in their early live cycle? Blu Ray prices will fall and it will become a casual thing in time. Ever seen a "product live cycle curve"? We are still at the very beginning

Yes in time , but that time may not be in the xbox 360s life cycle .

Care to explain this? I cant see the logic.

Bluray needs to increase sales , its growth is behidn dvd growth at this time . they need to start selling to an expanded audiance as classic movies and catalog movies are not moving very well .

Bluray needs every player sale possible to survive .

However a bluray value is only $300 now compared to over $500 this past holiday season. By the holiday season it will be even lower . Each year the value of bluray shrinks . Mean while the 360 would need a faster bluray drive than the ps3 has and it will drive the cost of the 360 up.

This convo is moot because we don't know the price of the 360 vs the ps3 this holiday season and it could easily be more than $50 bucks price diffrence,

What ms needs to focus on is getting the price cheaper and increasing the hardrive space. The pro to 60 gigs is nice but the elite should jump up to around 200 gigs . all 3 skus should drop 50 bucks in october / nov

Last edited by a moderator:
No but don't tell me it exists and is a feature the 360 lacks when the ps3 is missing 2 of the 4 wireless standards.

This is kind of off topic, but you are spinning too hard, I'm dizzy.

802.11G is the de facto standard in Wi-Fi. 802.11A never took off and N is not even final. 54Mb is higher than most people's broadband, so if you need more for HD streaming then use the gigabit port.

Trying to twist the inclusion of 802.11b/g in the PS3 as a negative is going to be hard to pull off, I wish you the best of luck ;)

BTW I use G for both my PS3 and 360, as many many people do. It should be part of any modern device. The PSP has it, the Wii has it, the only one who milked me for $99 was MS.

BTW I use G for both my PS3 and 360, as many many people do. It should be part of any modern device. The PSP has it, the Wii has it, the only one who milked me for $99 was MS.

I think the PSP is 802.11b, like the DS, but I could be wrong. Still, that's the only actual complaint I can see about lack of Wi-Fi: the Wii, which has been making Nintendo a profit since launch has it, as have all the other consoles. That said, this is probably way off-topic, from a topic that already spawned from an off-topic discussion. And I think we're dangerously close to console wars here.

This is kind of off topic, but you are spinning too hard, I'm dizzy.

802.11G is the de facto standard in Wi-Fi. 802.11A never took off and N is not even final. 54Mb is higher than most people's broadband, so if you need more for HD streaming then use the gigabit port.

Trying to twist the inclusion of 802.11b/g in the PS3 as a negative is going to be hard to pull off, I wish you the best of luck ;)

wireless n provides more than just a bandwidth increase.

we used to run wireless g but we'd have to set up range extenders for our house , with wireless n i don't need to do that and we get faster speeds through out .

wireless g hits 54 Mbit/s but as you move further from its range the speeds decrease and if your in an area where the strenght gets stronger and weaker like clock work it could be a very bad thing.

Regardless, wireless n products are being sold and have been for a year , they all work fine togther and its a much better product than wireless g

There are all diffrent people.

people who don't need wifi
people who need wireless b /g
people who need wireless a/n

As you can see a blanket statment doesn't work. You say why doesn't the 360 provide wifi out of the box , well why doesn't sony provide wireless a/n out of the box ?

To me i have to buy a wifi usb device for wireless n and i'm sure there are alot of others who have to also and those who need wireless a . The ps3 i own will never have wireless n unless i buy it . Wireless n is better than wireless g in every way and really why did they half ass it and not update to wireless n with the new consoles they put out .

Man you are trying very hard to find a negative that doesnt exist.

Gamestop lists uncharted at $59.99 , motorstorm at 59.99 , HS at $49.99 , MGS4 at $60.
Apparently Gamestop is milking consumers out.

Free does not make something easier to use , it may make it easier to look over its faults , but it doesn't make it easier to use and doesn't make up for all the features it lacks over the other online service , even the online store has been half assed since launch .
It makes it easy for many including me and my friends and it is certaintly shaping up better and better as time passes. It does its work well. Its not as bad as you make it sound like

Yes in time , but that time may not be in the xbox 360s life cycle .
The 360 has nothing to do with it.

Bluray needs to increase sales , its growth is behidn dvd growth at this time . they need to start selling to an expanded audiance as classic movies and catalog movies are not moving very well .

Bluray needs every player sale possible to survive .

However a bluray value is only $300 now compared to over $500 this past holiday season. By the holiday season it will be even lower . Each year the value of bluray shrinks . Mean while the 360 would need a faster bluray drive than the ps3 has and it will drive the cost of the 360 up.

This convo is moot because we don't know the price of the 360 vs the ps3 this holiday season and it could easily be more than $50 bucks price diffrence,

What ms needs to focus on is getting the price cheaper and increasing the hardrive space. The pro to 60 gigs is nice but the elite should jump up to around 200 gigs . all 3 skus should drop 50 bucks in october / nov

And you believe that Blu Ray is in desperation to increase its sales and for that they need the 360?

Especially after you said that Blu Ray may not reach its peak before the 360's life cycle ends?

And we thought that the Blu Ray is doing as good as DVD's when they were first introduced

edit: are you also aware of the various issues to make a Blu Ray 360?

Again I ask you, are you aware of the the trend of a product's life cycle or are you comparing current DVD sales with current Blu Ray sales :???:

As you can see a blanket statment doesn't work. You say why doesn't the 360 provide wifi out of the box , well why doesn't sony provide wireless a/n out of the box ?

This is crazy. Not having wi-fi isn't that big a deal, but you're spinning the lack of 802.11n as being the same as the 360 not having any Wi-Fi support. If you need a/n, you can buy a bridge for the PS3, like you would the 360. If you just want b/g, you don't have to buy anything extra on the PS3 but for the 360 you need extra hardware, no matter what.

Man you are trying very hard to find a negative that doesnt exist.

why , i rather pay $50 less for the ps3 without wifi if i don't need it or i have to buy my own adapter . To me the fact that it comes with something useless to me doesn't matter as i have to pay money on both systems to get what i need.

Apparently Gamestop is milking consumers out.

And how about bestbuy ? How about walmart ?

Amazon has uncharted for $60 , motor storm $60 , heavenyl sword is $60 also

Wow all these stores are milking customers .

It makes it easy for many including me and my friends and it is certaintly shaping up better and better as time passes. It does its work well. Its not as bad as you make it sound like
every multi console game my group of friends (we are about 27 of us right now that get online at least once a week and play) buy the xbox 360 verison because the online support of the system is much better . We only see that becoming more so as we can all load games to our hardrive this fall and it will have the 8 player party where we can all do our own thing till everyone is ready to play .

The 360 has nothing to do with it

the 360 has nothing to do with a thread that deals with the 360 including bluray and if it should be done or not ?

And you believe that Blu Ray is in desperation to increase its sales and for that they need the 360?

I think bluray needs more sales faster and another 250k a month or so plus a few million over the holidays in just north america alone would look mighty good to them .

Especially after you said that Blu Ray may not reach its peak before the 360's life cycle ends?

bluray could be at its peak right now for all we know.

And we thought that the Blu Ray is doing as good as DVD's when they were first introduced
i haven't heard anything of hte sort, however i'm speak of dvd currently growing at a faster pace than bluray is growing (or at least qtr 1 of this year)

Again I ask you, are you aware of the the trend of a product's life cycle or are you comparing current DVD sales with current Blu Ray sales
bluray in 10 years has nothing to do with xbox 360 now. The xbox 360 is entering its 4th holiday season this year , in another 10 years we will be talking about the 4th xbox and what will be in it and the 360 and ps3 will be a distant memory , even in 5 years we will be talking about the new xbox and not the 360. In 3 years it will be the same thing .

Right now bluray sales are not high enough to warrent ms spending the money on including it. its just not a big enough deal for most people and it will only serve to increase hte price of the 360 .

This is crazy. Not having wi-fi isn't that big a deal, but you're spinning the lack of 802.11n as being the same as the 360 not having any Wi-Fi support. If you need a/n, you can buy a bridge for the PS3, like you would the 360. If you just want b/g, you don't have to buy anything extra on the PS3 but for the 360 you need extra hardware, no matter what.

no what i'm saying is that its not a pro to myself and others because it doesn't provide me what i need. If I go and buy an xbox 360 and it comes with a grill cover for my grill is that a value add to me if i don't have a grill (yes i know its silly but this is to make people understand)

Whats a value to you is not a value to me . As I said i'd have to buy a wifi adapter for both systems .

Just like to some people blurayis a value and to others they will never use it . If you ask people what they rather have on the ps3 , a bluray drive or a cheaper price many might pick the bluray drive and many may pick the cheaper price.

its not wrong of people to choose bluray and its not wrong for people ot choose cheaper prices.

I've never met a person who uses A or N networks. You are trying to turn a major selling point into a negative and it's a laughable attempt. Do you hear the crickets from the crowd of support for your POV?

If you "need" A or N then it's available for both systems, most, and I mean like 95% don't need it.

I've never met a person who uses A or N networks. You are trying to turn a major selling point into a negative and it's a laughable attempt. Do you hear the crickets from the crowd of support for your POV?

If you "need" A or N then it's available for both systems, most, and I mean like 95% don't need it.

meet more people .

Walk into best buy and the number of wireless n devices are as great as wireless g devices and gaining growned.

I don't know how its a major selling point , i've never used the wifi on my ps3 once because its obsolete for my needs .

anyway i wont continue , i made my point that its only a selling point to some people (dispite those pushing an agenda in this thread)

I don't know how its a major selling point , i've never used the wifi on my ps3 once because its obsolete for my needs .

Hold on. Do you have a PS3 or not? If you do, could you please clarify your complaint that you need to exit a game to read your friend's messages? I fail to understand how that's an issue post 2.41. If you already responded I must've missed it.

Hold on. Do you have a PS3 or not? If you do, could you please clarify your complaint that you need to exit a game to read your friend's messages? I fail to understand how that's an issue post 2.41. If you already responded I must've missed it.

I have a ps3 . I haven't updated it yet , been busy with work . I will check it with dbz over the weekend. is 2.41 okay to download or is it still brickin systems ?

why , i rather pay $50 less for the ps3 without wifi if i don't need it or i have to buy my own adapter . To me the fact that it comes with something useless to me doesn't matter as i have to pay money on both systems to get what i need.

The price of the PS3 will not be reduce by $50. It'll probably be a couple of bucks. When the PS3 was in design, N was not ready...and beside G is good enough for majority of the population (that want wireless) at the time. A is mainly used by corporate...most household will have b/g only. If you really arguing for the inclusion of A into the PS3, then the 360 should have include RF cable in addition to composite and component.

Now, if you're arguing that PS3 shouldn't have included wifi in the first place because N was coming out soon...then the 360 shouldn't have designed with only component support. It should have a module interface, that allow people to plug in an adapter so they can use HDMI, because HDMI was coming to every TV.

Anyway, back the subject on hand...

Yes, Bluray will continue to get more popular. And will become a standard in which people will get video. However, 360 doesn't need Bluray. If people want to watch a Bluray movie, they can do so on one of hundreds of cheap Bluray players (in the future of course).

Now, whether if the 360 needs a Bluray for games...that's debatable.

On one hand, you have HiDef video (FMV) that will eat away on the DVD. However, games with you spend most of the time watching instead of playing isn't very progressive thinking. There's a reason why movies are on the decline while games market continues to grow. People want interactive entertainment.

On the other hand, there will be games where storage could be a concern. But we have gone down this path before...multi-discs. Nothing new here. It worked in the past and it will continue to work in the future.

The size of the HDD is increasing at an astonishing rate. You can get a 1TB for $170! Several manufacturers have released 1.5TB HDD. In 3-4 years time, with the next xbox or playstation, you don't really disc...everything via download.

The question is, will broadband be fast enough? Yes, it will. MS current infrastructure isn't large enough for 100+ million xbox wanting to download the lastest games. However, there are events in play that will make P2P, the accelerator of getting content to everyone in relatively fast without depending on MS or Sony to build a huge infrastructure. The size of games will always be in check by development cost (barring doing stupid things like 4 hours of HD video).

Who's going to pay for all this? You, the gamer, and advertisers. Yes, them...somebody going to subsidize the huge HDD and the broadband, because nobody is going to buy a $500 console. Sony proves this, already. Even with Sony's name recognition couldn't do it...nobody can.

My response was alright, you said that:

And i said that VHS owners and Laserdisc said the exact same thing about their VHS collections.

I don´t argue that VHS is better than DVD, it isn´t. Never was, but i feel the exact same way about DVD today that i did about my VHS and Laserdisc, totally worthless and only when the options are used up i fall back to DVD. And i don´t think i am the only one that will end up having that idea.

Big difference VHS tapes break or wear out over time so you had no choice but to replace movies you watched a lot. I have 8 year old DVDs that look just as good as the day I got them even after many uses. You also forget about nasty mechanical noise and vertical scrolling time to time in a movie till it got tracked back. You can not even remotely compare VHS to DVD and DVD to Bluray. The jump from VHS to DVD was 10000x greater than the jump from DVD to Bluray when you compare all factors. I was very happy to replace all my VHS tapes with DVDs. This time around no chance I pay a premium to upgrade my collection. When I start to see Blurays in the 5 dollar bin I will consider replacing my DVDs.

I think you and a few hard core video/audophiles feel that way. The rest of us are content with our DVDs at a time when catalog bluray titles cost more than new release DVDs.

And how about bestbuy ? How about walmart ?

Amazon has uncharted for $60 , motor storm $60 , heavenyl sword is $60 also

Wow all these stores are milking customers .

It's been a while since I've seen someone so elegantly poke a hole in one of their own arguments. Once you've argued that Live Gold isn't $50 because better deals can sometimes be found you really can't dismiss others making essentially the same point. Hint: Amazon has Motorstorm for $20 new.

It's been a while since I've seen someone so elegantly poke a hole in one of their own arguments. Once you've argued that Live Gold isn't $50 because better deals can sometimes be found you really can't dismiss others making essentially the same point. Hint: Amazon has Motorstorm for $20 new.

Exactly.

I can't even remember the last post in this thread which was about Microsoft needing or not needing blu-ray...

Big difference VHS tapes break or wear out over time so you had no choice but to replace movies you watched a lot. I have 8 year old DVDs that look just as good as the day I got them even after many uses. You also forget about nasty mechanical noise and vertical scrolling time to time in a movie till it got tracked back. You can not even remotely compare VHS to DVD and DVD to Bluray. The jump from VHS to DVD was 10000x greater than the jump from DVD to Bluray when you compare all factors. I was very happy to replace all my VHS tapes with DVDs. This time around no chance I pay a premium to upgrade my collection. When I start to see Blurays in the 5 dollar bin I will consider replacing my DVDs.

I think you and a few hard core video/audophiles feel that way. The rest of us are content with our DVDs at a time when catalog bluray titles cost more than new release DVDs.

I understand all the points about VHS, i owned more VHS tapes than most other people, and even prerecorded movies :)

What i said, and still is saying, many people said that they would not buy all their old movies which they alread owned on VHS. THAT IS ALL I SAID. I did not claim something else, what happend was most likely something like.. "shit this DVD looks nice"..."i´m gonna get a surround system", "hey look bladerunner on DVD, ok i got the Tape, but just this one time". But i am absolutely sure that the same thing will happen for many that say the same thing about DVD/Blu-Ray. I bought my 4th Bladerunner on Blu-Ray eventhough i didn´t plan to get catalog titles i already have on DVD, it was remastered and even the new DVD looks better than the old. Yes the DVD brought more new stuff into the game than Blu-Ray, apart from all the things you mention most important for many was Surround sound.

The Blu-Ray "killer" feature right now is picture and sound quality (and for me the popup menu :)). More fluff will be added and maybe it will even be something worthwhile. But as TV´s grow in size and people become used to HDTV broadcasts their DVD´s will look older and older and those catalog titles will once again make their way into the shopping basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back