ATi's old IP and CPU manufacturers

Sabastian

Regular
I recall some years ago now that Intel was forced to pay ATi to use a number of their IP's. Does anyone recall just what that was? Been watching AMD and wondering if the ATi buy out will pay off. Obviously ATi came with a huge price tag and AMD management thought it was a buy. So there may be some gold in not only ATi's gpu developement but their massive IP library. Would Intel still need to pay for the rights to use this IP still?

If this topic is beaten to death, please ignore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think they do, as any IP owned by ATI is now owned by AMD. Any such IP and licensing of it would have been considered to be part of the value of the company at the time of the sale.

I would think that would explain to a large degree the price tag of ATi of course. AMD will likely benifit in more ways then just collecting licencing fee's from Intel as well. Looking at AMD stock I'd wager there is some real value in that price range. I suppose AMD could refuse to licence that IP. IIRC the deal was for ATi to manufacture chipsets for Intel boards in exchange for the licencing of the IP.

Umm, wasn't that one of those cross-licensing deals that Intel is so fond of? ATI got to make Intel chipsets and Intel got cross-license rights to ATI IP as of that time?

Intel loves those. There isn't a lot of evidence they do much other than make them nigh impregnable to a patent lawsuit. I mean, I've not heard anyone whisper yet that Larrabee is really Xenos at heart with the serial numbers filed off (ZOMG!).

Umm, wasn't that one of those cross-licensing deals that Intel is so fond of? ATI got to make Intel chipsets and Intel got cross-license rights to ATI IP as of that time?

Intel loves those. There isn't a lot of evidence they do much other than make them nigh impregnable to a patent lawsuit. I mean, I've not heard anyone whisper yet that Larrabee is really Xenos at heart with the serial numbers filed off (ZOMG!).

Yeah I'm pretty sure ATi would be locked out of the Intel chipset market at the time(and currently lol) if they didn't licence the IP. It really didn't work out for ATi I don't think as their chipsets never did take off.

lmao yeah that would be funny as hell wrt Larrabee.

Back