NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a whole pile of dead technologies that fit that bill at one time.

that only happened because most of the failed technologies weren't competitive one or more areas in the marketplace, tegra doesn't have blatant flaws.

Sure, there's lots of room for lots of people to make money, but its not a guarantee.

again only if you understand why other products have failed. Why do you think Apple has been successfully?

That's probably because I never predicted Tegra's doom. And there's lots of competition already in place, and more coming.

There is only one company right now that has a chip that can compete with Tegra, Qualcomm by the time others get proper engineering teams and expertise to create a chip that will compete, it will take years.

that only happened because most of the failed technologies weren't competitive one or more areas in the marketplace, tegra doesn't have blatant flaws.

I disagree with that assessment. Some products just don't happen to be what consumers want for one reason or another.

again only if you understand why other products have failed. Why do you think Apple has been successfully?

Apple has been successful in marketing fashionable and easy to use and they've had quite a few technical failings that they've managed to overcome. It's certainly not because of performance.

There is only one company right now that has a chip that can compete with Tegra, Qualcomm by the time others get proper engineering teams and expertise to create a chip that will compete, it will take years.

Competitive on performance or not, there will be lots of competition. And again, I think you overestimate consumers needs for performance in the tablet market. If it can playback HD it's probably fast enough for 90%+ of the target market.

Last edited by a moderator:
OT: Squilliam: Err, any pic of me is probably pretty old, so that probably helps to make me look younger :p And it's not *that* bad thankfully, so my glasses are perfectly normal.
Razor1 said:
While Qualcomm is their biggest competitor, I would argue that Texas Instruments and ST-Ericsson are also extremely competitive. Samsung and Renesas aren't far behind either.

I disagree with that assessment. Some products just don't happen to be what consumers want for one reason or another.

That is a product failure, they didn't understand the market.

Apple has been successful in marketing fashionable and easy to use and they've had quite a few technical failings that they've managed to overcome. It's certainly not because of performance.

up to a certain point but window phones were there before the Iphone, and they were easy to use but they failed....

Apple made something no one else had, from feature set to performance. You are selling yourself short because of "ease of use" that's a mac guy taking.

Competitive on performance or not, there will be lots of competition. And again, I think you overestimate consumers needs for performance in the tablet market. If it can playback HD it's probably fast enough for 90%+ of the target market.

You are thinking about a product that would have came out last year. Its going to be alot about performance, look at the Atrix, you get the dock for that its now a notebook. Because the OS is solid its going to have all the features that computers have so now we have a common ground Cell phone makers are going to be looking for low power SoC's that have the performance to do what low end desktop computers and notebooks can do. To say portable devices aren't going to need performance is the same thing that was said 7 years ago when gaming laptops were first introduced.

You are thinking of individual mobile platforms, nV is thinking of a general processor that will work with anything you throw at it. The best thing of all in 3 years or so when Windows 8 comes out you will have a unification of mobile devices and computers.

OT: Squilliam: Err, any pic of me is probably pretty old, so that probably helps to make me look younger :p And it's not *that* bad thankfully, so my glasses are perfectly normal.
While Qualcomm is their biggest competitor, I would argue that Texas Instruments and ST-Ericsson are also extremely competitive. Samsung and Renesas aren't far behind either.

Well TI and Ericsson are at least 6 months to year behind on a competitive chip by then you will have Tegra 3, but yeah they can compete well if they speed up their development.

That is a product failure, they didn't understand the market.

up to a certain point but window phones were there before the Iphone, and they were easy to use but they failed....

Apple made something no one else had, from feature set to performance. You are selling yourself short because of "ease of use" that's a mac guy taking.

You are thinking about a product that would have came out last year. Its going to be alot about performance, look at the Atrix, you get the dock for that its now a notebook. Because the OS is solid its going to have all the features that computers have so now we have a common ground Cell phone makers are going to be looking for low power SoC's that have the performance to do what low end desktop computers and notebooks can do. To say portable devices aren't going to need performance is the same thing that was said 7 years ago when gaming laptops were first introduced.

You are thinking of individual mobile platforms, nV is thinking of a general processor that will work with anything you throw at it. The best thing of all in 3 years or so when Windows 8 comes out you will have a unification of mobile devices and computers.

Lets just say I disagree with everything you said in this post.

<edit> I'm not suggesting in anyway that tegra is a failure in anyway, I'm just far from convinced that it's going to show any kind of market dominance. Just another player in a crowded field, a good player even, but that doesn't mean these other products are going to disappear even if they are over matched in performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well TI and Ericsson are at least 6 months to year behind on a competitive chip by then you will have Tegra 3, but yeah they can compete well if they speed up their development.

Not that true either; OMAP4's very competitive with Tegra 2 and will launch in the Playbook quite soon.

I'd have to argue that Tegra n+2's chances of really shining through will be adoption by a vertical platform (Please don't look at KIN), where I suppose things are really done much better; on Android now it feels like another alternative, albeit one of the fastest.

They're trying to build an ecosystem around the chip with Tegra Zone, but I think they really need to create this unified hardware platform on top of Android that leverages not just its own appstore but also a killer-app sort of implementation versus stock Android builds.

Razor1 said:
You need a refresher course on the state of mobile SoC development.

Not that true either; OMAP4's very competitive with Tegra 2 and will launch in the Playbook quite soon.

I'd have to argue that Tegra n+2's chances of really shining through will be adoption by a vertical platform (Please don't look at KIN), where I suppose things are really done much better; on Android now it feels like another alternative, albeit one of the fastest.

They're trying to build an ecosystem around the chip with Tegra Zone, but I think they really need to create this unified hardware platform on top of Android that leverages not just its own appstore but also a killer-app sort of implementation versus stock Android builds.

You need a refresher course on the state of mobile SoC development.

2nd half of 2011 is what I am aware of for OMAP4's to show up at least for smart phones. That puts Tegra 3 right around the same time.

pre-order or actual sales? surprised on carrier hasn't picked up that phone yet.....

It was showed off last month that's all I have heard about it other than coming out later this year.

pre-order or actual sales? surprised on carrier hasn't picked up that phone yet.....

It was showed off last month that's all I have heard about it other than coming out later this year.

I saw there was some UK carriers announced earlier this month. Nothing I know of in the US tho.

Even Intel's Atom is too slow for enterprise and many business and even artistic needs.

Slates are going to be similar to standard PC computing needs. There will be uses which don't require much resources (media consumption) and there will be uses that require far more (photo editing, compositing, dynamic video editing, etc.).

Regards,
SB

how would it be to slow ? its plenty fast enough for taking notes , checking email and using office with the ocasional web surfing and video watching.

I use a atom with an ion chipset and it does fine for such tasks and its an older n270 .

<edit> I'm not suggesting in anyway that tegra is a failure in anyway, I'm just far from convinced that it's going to show any kind of market dominance. Just another player in a crowded field, a good player even, but that doesn't mean these other products are going to disappear even if they are over matched in performance.

I dont think anyone is saying Tegra will have any sort of dominance. Why would it? But what's so wrong with being just another player in a huge market? Going to that from nothing in such a short time would be a massive success.

how would it be to slow ? its plenty fast enough for taking notes , checking email and using office with the ocasional web surfing and video watching.

I use a atom with an ion chipset and it does fine for such tasks and its an older n270 .

I have an Atom based slate. It is SLOOOOOOW like a netbook. It's quite speedy enough for media consumption (music and 1080p video due to the video acceleration chip), basic web browsing (some sites, as well as the use of multiple tabs can make things unpleasant), popcap style games (as long as 3D isn't needed), and very basic everything else.

It struggles quite mightily when asked to perform anything even remotely strenuous. Large images, complex PDFs (incredibly slow and painful), photo editing and compositing (which I had already mentioned), etc...

Hence why I'm, personally, waiting for Core i3 and Core i5 based slates as well waiting to see what AMD will introduce to the segment (beyond Bobcat based cores as those are only slightly faster than Atom).

I'll probably still get a few more Atom based slates and/or Bobcat based slates for a group application that I have in mind which doesn't require much power and only requirement is being a cheap Windows based slate. But for that I'm definitely waiting for at least Oaktrail or Ontario for that. Or possibly even an Arm based Windows 8 slate depending on timeframe.

Regards,
SB

well i guess next week we will see how the newer atoms fair with tablets as a slew of them are set to be announced.

I would love a llano with 6-8 hours of battery life. AMD just seems to be moving way to slow

I dont think anyone is saying Tegra will have any sort of dominance.

You might want to read the last couple of pages, because someone certainly did.

I have an Atom based slate. It is SLOOOOOOW like a netbook. It's quite speedy enough for media consumption (music and 1080p video due to the video acceleration chip), basic web browsing (some sites, as well as the use of multiple tabs can make things unpleasant), popcap style games (as long as 3D isn't needed), and very basic everything else.

It struggles quite mightily when asked to perform anything even remotely strenuous. Large images, complex PDFs (incredibly slow and painful), photo editing and compositing (which I had already mentioned), etc...

Hence why I'm, personally, waiting for Core i3 and Core i5 based slates as well waiting to see what AMD will introduce to the segment (beyond Bobcat based cores as those are only slightly faster than Atom).

I'll probably still get a few more Atom based slates and/or Bobcat based slates for a group application that I have in mind which doesn't require much power and only requirement is being a cheap Windows based slate. But for that I'm definitely waiting for at least Oaktrail or Ontario for that. Or possibly even an Arm based Windows 8 slate depending on timeframe.

Regards,
SB

i5 slates (such as the Asus Eee Slate) are already shipping. I played around with one in best buy a week or so ago.

i5 slates (such as the Asus Eee Slate) are already shipping. I played around with one in best buy a week or so ago.

Cool, now just have to wait on more user experiences to see if some of the issues with dual capacitive touch + active digitizer have been ironed out. As well as finding out if it uses standard SSDs or basic PCB only SSDs.

Heh, looks like it's sold out everywhere online.

Regards,
SB

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21005

windows 8 might be a huge step foward for touch interfaces

18801_large_Microsoft_Next_Gen_UI.png

Lets just say I disagree with everything you said in this post.

Well if they can manage to get 20% of that market in the long run they will sell a lot more SoC units than another company is selling x86 CPUs. With their overall efficient cost model this is quite a huge opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back