NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a valid question because tablets outside of ipad and readers, are still very much a niche market.

Ipad is going to see the same thing that is happening to the i-phone now, the i-phone is loosing ground to android phones, once people start figuring out there is nothing special about apple products they will move away from them.

Tablets are going to and actually are replacing netbooks so it a fairly large market and not a niche.

Ipad is going to see the same thing that is happening to the i-phone now, the i-phone is loosing ground to android phones, once people start figuring out there is nothing special about apple products they will move away from them.

Tablets are going to and actually are replacing netbooks so it a fairly large market and not a niche.
Android has gained marketshare, by using a pile of different platforms to compete with iphone, no one android product is in the vicinity of the iphone.

While I agree that the tablet market will grow simply because they are pushing so many devices, it's also going to be very cutthroat and there's really no telling who if anyone is going to take significant share from Apple. I'd certainly have a hard time believing it's going to be a single platform taking a bunch of it. As any new product that is going to compete with the ipad is also going to compete with a lot of other products.

Android has gained marketshare, by using a pile of different platforms to compete with iphone, no one android product is in the vicinity of the iphone.

While I agree that the tablet market will grow simply because they are pushing so many devices, it's also going to be very cutthroat and there's really no telling who if anyone is going to take significant share from Apple. I'd certainly have a hard time believing it's going to be a single platform taking a bunch of it. As any new product that is going to compete with the ipad is also going to compete with a lot of other products.

That is true but isn't that the same thing that happened to apple computers vs PC? Open platforms will always beat closed ones if features are similiar. And the Tegra chips are probably going to be the most performant chips for SoC platforms for some time to come. Intel, AMD don't have anything to compete with them. So far only Qualcomm can compete, but have to see how the new Snapdragon stands up.

I agree Tablets are cut throat just like netbooks, parts have to be dirt cheap, but when you have very few companies that really compete performance wise to the Tegra its a sure market, just like Tesla, in 2 or 3 years it went to make 100 million for nV and next year its going to be much more.

The problem with tegra is enterprise . I would never get a tegra 2 or 3 tablet for the work place it just has no place there.

AMD's fusion and intels atoms will dominate the higher end tablets because of this .

I agree Tablets are cut throat just like netbooks, parts have to be dirt cheap, but when you have very few companies that really compete performance wise to the Tegra its a sure market, just like Tesla, in 2 or 3 years it went to make 100 million for nV and next year its going to be much more.

Computing performance and sales aren't exactly a direct correlation in any portable market.

Are the Airs that rare down in Jurong? I see them everywhere in the city. But worry not, maybe you could still afford a Mini and get the benefit of Nvidia ;)

The airs are rather unpopular in my uni campus, the people who use macs (all in my school anyway) all get Pros; Obviously to play Left 4 Dead. Yuppies vs gamers eh. :D
I love my old Pro, 8600M hasn't died yet so it's all fine.

The problem with tegra is enterprise . I would never get a tegra 2 or 3 tablet for the work place it just has no place there.

AMD's fusion and intels atoms will dominate the higher end tablets because of this .

Virtualization on Android will change that if Enterprise ever decides it needs a full blown tablet rollup.
VMWare was recently shown on an LG phone I think.

Even Intel's Atom is too slow for enterprise and many business and even artistic needs.

Slates are going to be similar to standard PC computing needs. There will be uses which don't require much resources (media consumption) and there will be uses that require far more (photo editing, compositing, dynamic video editing, etc.).

Regards,
SB

Computing performance and sales aren't exactly a direct correlation in any portable market.

They aren't so far because of power usage, Tegra has a very low power envelope though.

Virtualization on Android will change that if Enterprise ever decides it needs a full blown tablet rollup.
VMWare was recently shown on an LG phone I think.

This is all dependent on the OS and support, Windows 8 should elevate that, but again that's the future.

They aren't so far because of power usage, Tegra has a very low power envelope though.

I think its more that they aren't because the performance is superfluous to a lot of peoples needs. (Browser, media player, e-reader, casual gaming).

/shrug its going to be very crowded market by the end of the year

I think its more that they aren't because the performance is superfluous to a lot of peoples needs. (Browser, media player, e-reader, casual gaming).

/shrug its going to be very crowded market by the end of the year

well that's the nice thing from what I heard anything a google phone can do (apps) the tablets can do too. I really see no need for tablets I think they are kinda useless if you have one of the newer super smart phone.

well that's the nice thing from what I heard anything a google phone can do (apps) the tablets can do too. I really see no need for tablets I think they are kinda useless if you have one of the newer super smart phone.

The phones are too small to be a good browser or reader, the iPad is successful as basically a large ipod touch. I don't think performance alone is going to move much of that market.

To each their own. I myself think smartphones are kind of useless, but that's only because they don't really do anything good enough for me that I would want in a mobile device. As a music player they are too large. As a web browser they are too small. As a media player they are too small. As an ebook reader, LCD/OLED sucks arse. For applications again too small and not powerful enough.

That doesn't mean I don't think other people obviously find something about them to justify their sometimes hideously high prices for what you get (IMO).

But then I don't assume that everyone in the world feels the same way about everything. So it's easy to see different needs for different people.

Regards,
SB

Heh, heavy myopia makes an iPhone 4's screen more than good enough for browsing and applications, imo ;) Resolution is probably more important to me than screen size, but I understand it's the other way around for many people.

Anyway, unless you want to discuss Kal-El's support for 2560x1600 resolutions on tablets and how that somehow implies NVIDIA is delusional or pushing features for marketing reasons alone, we're getting badly off-topic here.

it's a valid question because tablets outside of ipad and readers, are still very much a niche market.

It's not a niche market. It's a new market with tremendous growth potential.

Given the sheer size of the smartphone/tablet/netbook market that Android addresses, you don't need to be top dog to make money. A decent slice of the pie will be enough to bring home the bacon.

I just don't understand where your predictions of Tegra's doom are coming from. All signs point to growth in these markets. The hardware, software, mainstream consumer interest and marketing dollars are all in place.

It's not a niche market. It's a new market with tremendous growth potential.

There's a whole pile of dead technologies that fit that bill at one time.

Given the sheer size of the smartphone/tablet/netbook market that Android addresses, you don't need to be top dog to make money. A decent slice of the pie will be enough to bring home the bacon.

Sure, there's lots of room for lots of people to make money, but its not a guarantee.

I just don't understand where your predictions of Tegra's doom are coming from. All signs point to growth in these markets. The hardware, software, mainstream consumer interest and marketing dollars are all in place.
That's probably because I never predicted Tegra's doom. And there's lots of competition already in place, and more coming.

Heh, heavy myopia makes an iPhone 4's screen more than good enough for browsing and applications, imo ;)

'scuse me mr Arun... Are you saying that all those photos you have which show you look younger than reality are wrong because you have to wear big glasses to offset your myopia?

OT: Tablets are good for people who have myopia simply because of the ability to resize font on screen and for that you need a good GPU to run the interface smoothly and to scale the fonts and pictures quickly. I know this because I know someone with severe myopia and this relates to Nvidia because they are producing the tablet reference design for Android 3.0 and tablets are good for people with myopia.... So erm YEAH!!!

Sure, there's lots of room for lots of people to make money, but its not a guarantee.

Agreed, but past sales is an extremely poor indicator of what's to come in a market such as this.

That's probably because I never predicted Tegra's doom. And there's lots of competition already in place, and more coming.

T'is true, you didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back