[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4 *spoilers*

You should go to the firing range if you just want to practice. You will get unlimited ammo on all the guns you have already unlocked. You will get to practice CQC to your hearts content because the practice VR soliders don't even fight back.

Playboy magazine I don't think you are supposed to pick back up. It's an expendible item. If you wanted look at the girls you need to hold L1+R1, Circle, Then Triangle. But then those exact instructions are given to you when you hold down L2.

Also FYI, The instruction manual that comes with the game is actually a very cool read too. It has comic book art in it and other goodies.

I have to admit--I spent a good 2 minutes trying to look at the hot chicks in "teh video game" and I failed. I just couldnt figure it out. :oops:

Dont put the controller down during cutscenes. Sometimes you can press L1 to see things from Snake's perspective and X for flashbacks. Watching flashbacks will earn you Drebin points at the end of the act.

You should go to the firing range if you just want to practice. You will get unlimited ammo on all the guns you have already unlocked. You will get to practice CQC to your hearts content because the practice VR soliders don't even fight back.

Thanks for the tips !

Playboy magazine I don't think you are supposed to pick back up. It's an expendible item. If you wanted look at the girls you need to hold L1+R1, Circle, Then Triangle. But then those exact instructions are given to you when you hold down L2.

Yeah I flipped through. I remember that Playboy cover from few years ago. Didn't realize the magazine is an expendable item. I practised it in-game, and then when I needed to use it, I couldn't pull it off (Didn't see the zero counter). Naturally, I was busted and died.

Also FYI, The instruction manual that comes with the game is actually a very cool read too. It has comic book art in it and other goodies.

That's right ! :)

The controls do take a bit to get use to--but once they become familiar it's like second nature.

One thing I did was go to the Shooting Range (main menu) and practiced there. It really helped@ :D

HAHA:eek:

I thought there would be something like that available but I have barely touched the game and will go immediately to that the next time I play (maybe this evening).

WTF health warning!
is this standard practice with games now?
i love the cigarette in the mouth in the same shot :)

apparently the game has sold above expectations so far in japan, it may even bring the dire ps3 up to wii numbers for a short time :)

apparently the game has sold above expectations so far in japan, it may even bring the dire ps3 up to wii numbers for a short time :)

:LOL: Would be pretty tough to hit Wii number since the appeal is not universal (like casual sports and workout). But some excitement is good for Sony and its Japan userbase.

MGS4 is an interesting project from the following perspectives:

* PS2 user conversion. It seems that Sony did not aggressively push for any discount deals in Japan. In US, there is the Walmart US$100 gift card, but it was not a focused effort either (They left it up to the market/price sensitive buyers to discover the deals themselves).

* $ spent per user who bought MGS4. Because of the pristine quality, many are willing to spend more. e.g., I went for a hi-end headphone just to match the game (It was a good buy nonetheless).

WTF health warning!
is this standard practice with games now?
You get them in the manuals, and I'm sure I've seen them elsewhere in games for ages, telling you to take a 15 minute break for every hour's play etc.
Patsu said:
:LOL: Would be pretty tough to hit Wii number since the appeal is not universal (like casual sports and workout). But some excitement is good for Sony and its Japan userbase.
Wii's selling about 45-50k a week at the moment in Japan. PS would need a spike of about 30-40k one week to outpace Wii, for that week!

Still, looking at how PSP has suddenly gained momentum to be the premier selling hardware in Japan for the past couple of months since a few major titles appeared, there remains hope for the overly optimisitic ;) If 300k software units were sold though, I doubt 10% of those were new hardware, given the 2 million existing PS3 owners in Japan. That'd be a lot of people buying PS3 over there without an interest in MGS.

I just started this game, at medium difficulty and I must say it's quite impressive in the way it conveys lots of things going on around you. There's a lot of ways to do things. I'm playing it just below the European 'normal' and I've died a few times already. Cutscenes haven't seemed too long yet and I absolutely love the sound. I'm not far enough into the game to say anything meaningful on the gameplay though, so I'll get back to that. But overall, it's easier than before, in terms of control. But there's also more going on right from the start than before. The sneaking suit really helps at this difficulty level, I can use it to crawl on the ground and get past a lot of soldiers that way. The stun knife is quite effective too. I just got past the statue and I didn't need it for cover this time, although I struck the pose anyway just for fun. ;)

I beat MGS4 the day after I brought it home, I played it hardcore, and yes I am very very impressed. B/C I don't have an HDTV, I went ahead and bought an HDMI to DVI converter for my PC monitor so I could play the game in Hi-Def.

I'm blown away by how much content there is here. I'm only just completed the third act. And I've already seen far more production values than in all of a full retail game like Uncharted. The attention to detail is insane.

They easily could have sold this as 2 separate games. But it just shows what high standards Kojima had for this game. He obviously wasn't just trying to make a good game. He was trying to make the greatest game ever made.

On a technical level it has many times surpased my expectations of what they they were going to be able to achive. I keep running into these scenes where I am saying out loud, that is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. But the thrills just keep coming and coming.

Also I've never seen a screen tear. Never seen a model or texture pop in funny. Never saw some strange animation glitch or a werid clipping problem. For the immense size of this project it is truely an amazing achivement that they game seems as perfect as it seems to be.

I just got a bit further (got to Drebin, that cutscene is on pause now - pause and skip are two great additions to cutscenes ;) ), spent some time in the shooting range first a bit practicing my weapons and my CQC, then played along some more. I'm starting to get into control surprisingly quickly. The responsiveness seems better than in MGO, and I've done my fair share of CQC combat now. It's a classy game and it is indeed a lot easier to play than any of the previous games. I did manage to make both sides my enemy though, lol.

Anyone find the loading during chase scenes frustrating? I don't mind the loading between chapters, or installing at the beginning, because this matches the pacing of the game. But in the middle of two chase scenes about 3 times...that doesn't match the pacing at all...very odd.

Back