Firmware 2.41 available... *

No problems here. And since we can now have 100 friends...I can stop deleting people. So if you want to add me my PSN is deepbrown.

It's just slower than XMB generally. I've noticed it lagging in Everyday Shooter. So far it's been a disappointing update as it lacks the finesse of XBL. Why hasn't Sony implemented XBL's invite system? Where's cross-game voice chat?

The XMB is overlayed on your game without pausing the game. So it is definitely going to have less resources and more multitasking to cope with. I think considering that, it's working pretty well. I imagine you can bring it up while a replay of your GT5 trophy winning run is still running, and right now it works just fine over for instance the Super Stardust opening screen with all the stars flying around in the background while you have the XMB up to compare trophies. It's pretty slick actually.

Yes, Xbox Live isn't matched feature for feature yet, and I'm sure Microsoft will want to keep it that way. ;) However, this FW 2.4 is a big step forwards, and opens op the groundwork for all the other important stuff. I'm thrilled to have it. Hopefully they can put it back up for everyone again soon.

I didn't notice the in-game XMB to be slower than usual, but I only have tried it in Super Stardust title screen. There was the similar lagginess and jumpiness that was in out-game XMB though, that was introduced in my PS3 with the 2.40 update.
The controls even jumped in SSD-HD in-game menus and gameplay too.

The XMB is overlayed on your game without pausing the game. So it is definitely going to have less resources and more multitasking to cope with. I think considering that, it's working pretty well. I imagine you can bring it up while a replay of your GT5 trophy winning run is still running, and right now it works just fine over for instance the Super Stardust opening screen with all the stars flying around in the background while you have the XMB up to compare trophies. It's pretty slick actually.
I opened the XMB in MGS4 and the game seemed to know where to pause. Nice. It paused the gameplay and the cut scenes, but it didnt pause some things like the continue screen

It looks like it depends on the game

Yes, that's true. It says on the playstation blog somewhere I think that it's up to the developer to decide when to pause or not to pause. I'll be testing other games when I have a chance.

I didn't notice the in-game XMB to be slower than usual, but I only have tried it in Super Stardust title screen. There was the similar lagginess and jumpiness that was in out-game XMB though, that was introduced in my PS3 with the 2.40 update.
The controls even jumped in SSD-HD in-game menus and gameplay too.

in-game version doesn't cache for obvious reasons, it reloads everything every time so you often see reloading animation, but since those are background loads it's still almost as responsive as the regular XMB. (I haven't noticed any changes on that with 2.4).
Refresh rate however seems to be same as the game it's running on top of, so it may look less smooth on 30fps games.

150 dollars, that got priced pretty fast..

I read it in the v2.4 NeoGaf thread yesterday. It very well could have been a problem where the tech support guys didn't know about the issue yet. Happens with almost every company.

Tommy McClain

Yes, that's true. It says on the playstation blog somewhere I think that it's up to the developer to decide when to pause or not to pause. I'll be testing other games when I have a chance.
Titles that appear to keep running under 2.40 when the XMB is up, well.. they'd have done the same under < 2.40. It's just that you wouldn't have seen it due to the black screen that obscured everything. :)

In summary, games just get told when the OS is nabbing pad input, and react accordingly. I don't think this is any different to how things are on 'other consoles' to be honest.

Dean

Found a very good use of Ingame XMB_ Messaged friends while MGS4 installed, the install didn't stop and was done by the time I finished messaging ! :)

Installed the update yesterday.
The controller is acting weird now.
It "jumps around" in XMB (not in game XMB, although it might do it there too, just haven't had time to use it much yet..) and also in games the controller input seems to be cutting off for a split second every now and then.
Otherwise everything seems to be working fine, just that I really don't feel like playing games when the controller fails to register occasionally.

I did reset the controller and repair it, but it did not help.
Also tried my old SIXAXIS, where it behaved similarily.
If i use the controller with usb wire, there is no lag, so it seems to be a Bluetooth issue.

Now I am doing a backup -> format -> restore, hope it will help. Otherwise all I can do is just wait for 2.41.
All this when my summer vacation is just starting, the weather reports forecast rain for the foreseeable future and I'd have time to play.

I've got the bluetooth related 'weakness' as well... effected some PixelJunk Monsters gaming yesterday. ;) Luckily a very survivable game to have it glitch up in. But I imagine it'll be addressed in the next update. I didn't bother trying to repair or anything, because I've got a launch system and I'm sorta of used to some BT glitching. Not that this wasn't noticeably more frequent though...

I also had a crash/reset when trying to install the Super Stardust patch yesterday, but I tried it again immediately afterwards and got it to download and install ok.

Secondary observations I'll make are that in-game XMB works from Folding, and that it doesn't work from any PS1 or PS2 title. I'm not surprised at the later, but I was hopeful, since I spend a surprising amount of time on these games (Odin Sphere and Rogue Galaxy left to play on PS2, and playing Wild Arms on PS1). The Folding discovery was nice though.

I think the Bluetooth glitches, if common, are as important as the rare bricking (I would rate both as P1 in the bug tracking system :p ).

I like in-game XMB because it is a general user-level multi-tasking approach. Sony should be able to extend the service over time based on the same user framework (e.g., Toggling between PlayTV and gaming for PS4 ?).

In the mean time, I think Sony is still evaluating what to enable for multi-tasking (Old PS games or DVD/Blu-ray viewing). I wish the Blog would do more than just dishing out an FAQ though. They should also run a survey on our needs one month after a major firmware is out.

I managed to get rid of it by doing a compete system format.
After I restored the backup, it came back again, but then I did the "restore system defaults" and everything's fine again.
It might have been enough if I had just resetted the defaults in the first place, but now I think I have the exact same settings anyway, so I don't know what setting caused the glitch :???:

I did get the "rebuild database" error after exiting Super Stardust HD, when the icons didn't reappear and I was left with the wavy background. After that everything's fine again.

terrible QC on sonys part, its a wonder that they can let such a thing slip through, after all consoles only have limited customability + theres not much variation in hardware + perpherials

The knives are out now :LOL:

There are very few PS3s that have been bricked there's always going to be some products sold that are not 100% working the same as others, the fact the failure rate is so low with the PS3 shows their QC is extremely good.

There are very few PS3s that have been bricked there's always going to be some products sold that are not 100% working the same as others, the fact the failure rate is so low with the PS3 shows their QC is extremely good.

Well, I don't know about that...

"Extremely good" I think at least requires no bricking whatsoever to be in play. ;)

terrible QC on sonys part, its a wonder that they can let such a thing slip through, after all consoles only have limited customability + theres not much variation in hardware + perpherials

You will have to provide some kind of evidence after making such a post.

If not your just spreading internet rumours and adding fuel to the fire. A fire which Sony apparently reacted to instead of waiting around and seeing if it was true or not.

Well, I don't know about that...

"Extremely good" I think at least requires no bricking whatsoever to be in play. ;)

So far i havent seen any real bricking reported on this update, if you can format the harddrive and bring the PS3 back it would a stretch to call it a brick.

Back