Warner Exclusive Blu-ray= More PS3 sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q: Any plans to adopt Blu-ray?
A: No plans at all, not at this moment

Q: Are there no plans for next gen optical disc at all?
A: We don't have any plans to announce at this time.
May not be the right time to make such an announcement, the humiliation must be hard as it is.

Q: What is the next-gen NAND flash memory you'll be producing? What does that mean, exactly?
A: 3D NAND is a possible candidate, but just one of them. To avoid any confusion, we cannot say which next-gen memory technology Toshiba will choose to pursue. Nothing is final.
Interesting.

Edit: here is some more on the new Flash business:
Toshiba and SanDisk to expand NAND flash production with construction of new 12-inch fab in Japan

Toshiba and SanDisk today announced that they have signed a non-binding memorandum of understanding to form a new production joint venture and construct a new 300mm wafer fab in Japan to meet the anticipated future demand for NAND flash memory.

The two companies will now select the plant site, targeting a production start-up date in 2010.

A total of 50% of the new fab's production capacity will be allocated to the new joint venture. Within the joint venture the parties will equally share wafer output and funding for the equipment. The remaining 50% of the fab's production capacity will be managed by Toshiba and half of the output will be provided to SanDisk on a committed foundry basis.

The agreement provides SanDisk an option to convert its committed foundry capacity into the joint venture or to convert to a non-committed foundry arrangement. Construction of the new facility is expected to start in calendar year 2009.

Toshiba and SanDisk expect to sign a definitive agreement later in 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that they only sold 730,000 players world wide. I thought it was more than that. The Xbox addons totalling 50% of all HD-DVD players in the US is quite high!

Universal will soon release in Blu-ray says Craig Kornblau, President Universal

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?article_id=12118

At least one of the two studios exclusive to HD DVD is already gearing up to join the other team.

"While Universal values the close partnership we have shared with Toshiba, it is time to turn our focus to releasing new and catalog titles on Blu-ray," said Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

"The path for widespread adoption of the next-generation platform has finally become clear. Universal will continue its aggressive efforts to broaden awareness for hi-def’s unparalleled offerings in interactivity and connectivity, at an increasingly affordable price. The emergence of a single, high-definition format is cause for consumers, as well as the entire entertainment industry, to celebrate."

Sony finally wins a format :LOL:
actually, people seem to just remember the formats that failed for Sony... they were also part of pioneering the CD-R technology, as well as DVD+R (of course they weren't alone, but they aren't alone with Blu-Ray either). Many people (including myself) generally prefer DVD+R (especially DVD+R DL media) as disc manufacturers generally make them better. some of their other formats that "failed" weren't really meant to replace anything. the only format war that i know of where Sony lost, was BETA vs VHS (BETA was actually the superior product too).

actually, people seem to just remember the formats that failed for Sony... they were also part of pioneering the CD-R technology, as well as DVD+R (of course they weren't alone, but they aren't alone with Blu-Ray either). Many people (including myself) generally prefer DVD+R (especially DVD+R DL media) as disc manufacturers generally make them better. some of their other formats that "failed" weren't really meant to replace anything. the only format war that i know of where Sony lost, was BETA vs VHS (BETA was actually the superior product too).

Beta made Sony lots of money in the Professional World, and still does like other of their formats.

Toshiba's capitulation is just the beginning. If ps3 sales experience a substantial boost in the US. It could take second place in monthly US sales(it's going to take second worldwide anyway.), and speed up the schedule of the successor of a certain console that could soon be in third place ;)

Toshiba's capitulation is just the beginning. If ps3 sales experience a substantial boost in the US. It could take second place in monthly US sales(it's going to take second worldwide anyway.), and speed up the schedule of the successor of a certain console that could soon be in third place ;)

It would have to be a substantial boost. If it just continues January's lead, the PS3 won't reach 2nd place this generation.

It would have to be a substantial boost. If it just continues January's lead, the PS3 won't reach 2nd place this generation.

Still could become the number two or even number one worldwide though, and I'm pretty sure Sony would settle for 3rd in the U.S. if it meant 2nd or 1st overall.

Startrek is in the Blue Bag..

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ic60f3f2e7077b9b8dc969933f25fc601

"We are pleased that the industry is moving to a single high-definition format, as we believe it is in the best interest of the consumer," the statement reads. "As we look to (begin) releasing our titles on Blu-ray, we will monitor consumer adoption and determine our release plans accordingly."

It will take some time before my anger towards Paramount will fade (their move towards HD-DVD exclusive was a bit rough). But nice to see them swallow pride so quickly..

HD DVD was being outsold, and we know now player sales were lacklustre. What possible reason was there to go HD DVD exclusive? Maybe they thought they could help push that format and decide a winner? Or maybe there was a big payout. The latter seems quite likely. Either that or Toshiba used Jedi mind tricks.

They had to be paid,why else move to the losing format?

I think they got paid as well, i dropped my jaw when i heard they jumped ship, there were no real solid reasons, and the way they did it made it seem way more than drive by attack on Blu-Ray. And there are other ways to "pay" than plain money. Stamping discs and PR stuff were likely the payoff, still worth money of course.

I believe the financial incentives were not straight cash but marketing deals, etc. For example Toshiba was handling the re-mastering/encoding of Star Trek: TOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back