Activision buys Bizarre Creation: Info on current and future projects in here

Bizarre have explained the move. Basically they didn't like the hassle of being an independent trying to find a publisher and worrying about that side of things. Being owned by Activision gives them freedom to refocus on game creatoin without worrying about business stuff. Activision were chosen because they let their studios operate with independence, rather than trying to dictate how they operate.

Bizarre have explained the move. Basically they didn't like the hassle of being an independent trying to find a publisher and worrying about that side of things. Being owned by Activision gives them freedom to refocus on game creatoin without worrying about business stuff. Activision were chosen because they let their studios operate with independence, rather than trying to dictate how they operate.

read: we're tired of PGR and want to go multi-platform. ;)

Tommy McClain

Ninja Theory aren't Sony owned. It's funny how no-one can remember who owns who in these discussions!
You'd think people could spend 10 seconds checking Wikipedia, at the very least.

"Naughty Dog is an American video game company founded by Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin in 1986, and based in Santa Monica, California. It has been part of Sony since being acquired in 2001."

"Both Evolution and BigBig studios where acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment in September, 2007."

"Insomniac Games is an independent US video game developer founded in 1994 that has released award-winning hits for PlayStation and PlayStation 2 for 12 years."

...and such.

Ya, and I do agree that Turn 10 has a lot to prove with regards to their graphics.

I just hate this talk like their some 2nd tier developer, when in reality the make one HELL of a sim racer. Forza 1 was awesome for it's time, and Forza 2 is still a great game, despite being rushed out the door (relative to the competition anyways).

What turn 10 needs is new art directors. I read a interview with the lead designer (in the Forza 2 CE edition) where he said they made the cars extra "shiny" and the colors of the road extra bright to make things stand out more. **** THAT! Give us realistic lightning, if i wanted to play very shiny games, id play gears of war.

The PGR series has always stood out graphically. Both Turn10 efforts have been spotty (e.g. the overbright with huge aliasing issues as well as filtering issues in FM2). FM games really rock on many levels (AI, physics, online, livry, progressive in areas like damage, etc) but graphics are not one of them imo.

Turn10 would be better off taking a break from FM (do FM3 on the Xbox 3) and do a WRC game next for the 360. Branch out some. There is no need for PGR5 on the 360, and ANY PGR game on the 360 will have to compete against PGR4.

http://www.360-gamer.com/news.asp?id=1536

Claims MS basically fired BC from the PGR series before BC sold to Activision.

Before its recent acquisition by Activision, Bizarre Creations had already been told by Microsoft that it would no longer be used for the development of future instalments of the microsoft-owned PGR series - thus ending a close working relationship and presumably prompting Bizarre's eventual sale.

What turn 10 needs is new art directors... Give us realistic lightning.

I think for certain games, a certain look is desirable to match the experience. If the aim of the developer is to create the most realistic experience possible, realistic graphics are a part of that mix.

For an arcade type racer, a team may decide that an over the top graphic style with "extra shinny" cars is what would work best, but a psuedo sim, where the engine is tracking every detail down to the pressure exerted on the tire caps per each wheel @ 240 fps, should probably stick to aiming for realism on the visuals.

Having said that, Joshua nailed it:
Both Turn10 efforts have been spotty (e.g. the overbright with huge aliasing issues as well as filtering issues in FM2). FM games really rock on many levels (AI, physics, online, livry, progressive in areas like damage, etc) but graphics are not one of them imo.

The t10 team has not only lacked from an art direction stand point, but from a technical standpoint as well.

So what is stoping Activision/Bizarre for making a "sequel" of "Metropolis Street Racer" ? Or does MS also own that IP ?

Sega owns the rights to Metropolis Street Racer.

I hope Bizarre don't get sucked into trying compete with Need for Speed or Juiced on those sorts of levels. If in 2 years I see an advert for a Bizarre game with a bikini-clad model, with a smile as false as her boobs, draped over the bonnet of a car informing the audience that "There are times when being fast is a bonus", I'll cry for 1,000 years.

If I remember well the engines of the PGR3 and FM2 were pretty the same and was based on some Rare technologies… I think it's in the FM2 collector edition's book…

If I remember well the engines of the PGR3 and FM2 were pretty the same and was based on some Rare technologies… I think it's in the FM2 collector edition's book…

This is not correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back