"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

then it is not a complete car as the rims and tires are missing. Seeing BS/photomode F3 shots shows very high polygon amount for rims and tires so as total it would certainly go above 200k.

Anyway the most important will be how visible LOD changes are. Rims are usually the first to go down in detail when wheels are spinning at certain speed and rim replaced with low detail rim + blur texture.

When the GT5 comes out people will do reverse engineering and pick the car meshes out and then one could see the LODs, polygon amounts and probably more (like in F3 .bin files).
\

Hello my friend, you are correct.

The polygon amounts are for the body, not including tires and rims.

I don't know what is the amount for those objects. Maybe the total maximum in-game car amount is not very different from interior mesh (80k).

Yea.I knew it...they cant possibly be that bad.But yea poly count on cars that are not in direct focus is a bit lower than i thought it would be but game will still look ace...heh,good design and art team can do wonders.

This is interesting:

There's little you can fault with the overall presentation of the visuals: there are some absurdly high-quality models for each of the premium-level cars (reputedly allocated a budget of 100,000 polygons for the highest LOD models on the premium cars)

The next challenge is somewhat more difficult to overcome. In producing two similar but very different viewpoints for 3D, the geometry of the scene - the wire-mesh, if you will - needs to be processed twice. With Gran Turismo 5's cars reputedly pushing more than 100,000 polygons, that's a huge array of vertices that need to be processed twice to achieve true stereoscopy.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gran-turismo-5-tech-analysis?page=1

Grandmaster is talking about highest LOD of gameplay model (second quote suggest so)?

don't modern GPU's render billions of polygons per frame? seems a few million per frame is kinda low but i'm sure all the other features eat up power.

i remember Messiah on the PC advertised each of their characters used 100,000 polygons and that was back in the Voodoo 3 days.
I wonder what Fight Night Round 4 has per character?

i remember Messiah on the PC advertised each of their characters used 100,000 polygons and that was back in the Voodoo 3 days.
I wonder what Fight Night Round 4 has per character?

Messiah had 100k for highest LOD for characters which it scaled to depeding on distance and CPU used or alternatively if you used Geforce256 with TnL.

don't modern GPU's render billions of polygons per frame? seems a few million per frame is kinda low but i'm sure all the other features eat up power.

Depends on game complexity. Soem games needs to have geometry fully or partially processed several times. For example in Crysis character polygon count is twice with shader setting set to medium or high and upwards than base mesh but geometry complexity is the same visually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not even that much, IMHO.
Consoles are easily capable of a few million polygons per scene, which they usually render multiple times because of Z or light pre-passes, and multiple shadow buffers. More polygons, however, don't always make sense as they can bring down the fragment shader efficiency when using too small triangles.

I was just wondering if their 4xAA is actually 4xMSAA or 2xMSAA with alternating sample pattern (2xTAA + 2xMSAA). Both would look almost identical at 60 fps... and they have "Anti-Flicker" option in the settings (most likely disables the TAA, since it could theoretically at least cause flicker on some TV sets).

But AFAIK if framerate drops under 60fps then the TAA will get disabled, no?

That atleast the case with ATI X800 series that supported TAA but if framerate dipped below 60fps it was disabled. Having this in mind and GT5 often droping frames and not holding much of 60fps then it will be a mixed bag regarding results.

2 and 5 are premium cars. You can see how idnicidual car parts are geometrically while GT4 cars cant have those shapes since highest LOD for GT4 cars is 4-5k polygons.

Btw saw these 2 comparisions of highest LOD cars in photmode.

http://i.imgur.com/1mDyt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uGxnJ.jpg

Are these photomode pics or gameplay/replay? Because AFAIR Forza3's cars never looked so "curvy" from my experience. Polygon edges were very visible during gameplay or replay. Never looked that detailed.

As for GT5 I have no idea since I havent gotten my hands on the full game yet

Are these photomode pics or gameplay/replay? Because AFAIR Forza3's cars never looked so "curvy" from my experience. Polygon edges were very visible during gameplay or replay. Never looked that detailed.

As for GT5 I have no idea since I havent gotten my hands on the full game yet

I guess these are replay photo mode shots (not photo travel, which has higher precision). The GT logo at the top right gets added when taking photos...

But AFAIK if framerate drops under 60fps then the TAA will get disabled, no?

That atleast the case with ATI X800 series that supported TAA but if framerate dipped below 60fps it was disabled. Having this in mind and GT5 often droping frames and not holding much of 60fps then it will be a mixed bag regarding results.

Isn't the problem that at lower frame rates it becomes visible/noticable - ie. the flicker problem? Maybe in that case it would make sense for a GPU driver to turn it off, but Polyphony state in the options menu in a round about way that it will/can cause flickering.

Back