The old and unwieldy GTA4 thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we will have to wait to find out the truth unless you have some evidence one way or the other.

Can you confirm this is fake or real from a reliable source or are just speaking from what you feel?

Split screen in GTA4? Only on PS3? Would be the biggest kept secret in the console wars yet, the trolling that would happend after this on sites like GameFAQs and Neogaf would be immense.

This is a fake.

Why on earth would the X360 version not be able to run split screen but the PS3 would?

The only way that would be able to run on the PS3 and not on the X360 (because Xenos would certainly not be the bottleneck here), would be if they managed render most of the graphics they normally render on the RSX on the Cell. And the chances of R* having the developer talent to pull something like that is slim to none.

Split screen in GTA4? Only on PS3? Would be the biggest kept secret in the console wars yet, the trolling that would happend after this on sites like GameFAQs and Neogaf would be immense.

This is a fake.

Why on earth would the X360 version not be able to run split screen but the PS3 would?

The only way that would be able to run on the PS3 and not on the X360 (because Xenos would certainly not be the bottleneck here), would be if they managed render most of the graphics they normally render on the RSX on the Cell. And the chances of R* having the developer talent to pull something like that is slim to none.
Well graphics is not much related to it, and GTA4 does not seem to be a CPU hog more than GTA3 unless the usage of Natural Motion and other tech is more costly than it looks. It would be due to the standard HDD if it's not a fake. Streaming 2 different locations in a huge map for co-op is easier with HDD installation.

Though I don't rate this rumour highly, IIRC Sony sent 'the boys' round to help. Could be, while MS was making a deal for DLC, Sony was talking about a two-player mode for their platform. And if the previously mentioned 'friendship' between R* and Sony is true, and it's not just money changing hands, R* may have felt it worthwhile to add a split-screen mode. Or if the limits are CPU load as one suggests, it could possibly be an intended feature they couldn't manage to implement on XB360.

I can't believe some people are even considering that to possibly be real.

Installing the 360 version on your system's hard drive, however, will bring performance almost up to par with the PS3.

I really doubt that this is going to happen. Or they have switched things around to make the PS3 look good

I think we will have to wait to find out the truth unless you have some evidence one way or the other.

Can you confirm this is fake or real from a reliable source or are just speaking from what you feel?

Let's just call it a hunch. :)

It's possible but not probable, even if you can ignore the language and absence of history of the site. For one, game is 360 lead, and we should feel lucky if we get a decent port.

Well graphics is not much related to it, and GTA4 does not seem to be a CPU hog more than GTA3 unless the usage of Natural Motion and other tech is more costly than it looks. It would be due to the standard HDD if it's not a fake. Streaming 2 different locations in a huge map for co-op is easier with HDD installation.
... which 360 has as an option apparently.
In addition to geometry rendering overhead, there is the hard-to-ignore memory issue for double streaming.

Well, they can always have simplified assets thanks to BD space. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:LOL:

Fancy dismissing an article, then trying to use something from it in the very next sentence.

Some call it sarcasm, others call it (dis)proof by contradiction. ;)
But I wasn't really dismissing the article there, I was dismissing hdd as an enabler of double streaming. The game may have split screen for multiplayer or limited coop.

:LOL:

Fancy dismissing an article, then trying to use something from it in the very next sentence.

Is that directed towards me. If I'm trying to use something from it it's to prove that the article is BS. Most of the arguments are the same ones that people have had for most cross platform games, or following the trend of controversy over lighting and such.

I pointed out what I did because it is the only thing that could be considered not the norm, and it is the PS3 that installs games to the HDD not the 360. That alone should raise some eyebrows

I can't conclude one way or the other why the split-screen mode was not available on 360, but I assume by the drop in on-screen objects on the PS3 that the 360 just couldn't handle it.
wow

that's rich... I can't believe anyone is taking that "article" seriously except for the obvious reasons.

If the PS3 version really does have split screen, they should be promoting the hell out of it to prevent people from jumping ship to the 360. At this point, there would be no reason to keep a feature like that secret.

im not agreeing with the rumour, though i do easily see GTA4 being a CPU bottlenecked game
And the chances of R* having the developer talent to pull something like that is slim to none.
huh, im sure most ppl would agree R* have some of the most talented developers in the business

huh, im sure most ppl would agree R* have some of the most talented developers in the business
Really? GTA's have never been graphical showcases, but they have been fun.

I'd call them extremely talented game designers, not really talented developers in league with those that can consistently max out hardware (PD for example).

I wouldn't even go that far.

Gone are the days of lemmings and the original GTA concept, they just churn out the same crap but with bigger maps and different music.

If it wasn't for the hype and name recognition I doubt it would sell more than Saints Row.

I wouldn't even go that far.

Gone are the days of lemmings and the original GTA concept, they just churn out the same crap but with bigger maps and different music.

If it wasn't for the hype and name recognition I doubt it would sell more than Saints Row.

Ehmmm there is a bit more to the series than that. Are you sure your not talking about Quake? Or as some call it 3D FPS games.

I like the games, but GTA San Andreas is no big leap over GTA 3 and it's worse than Vice City in my opinion.

Everything they added to GTA San Andreas made the game worse, and from what I hear they are all gone now anyway (working out, buying clothes etc.)

The biggest addition was that you could swim instead of drowning the moment you touched water. Hardly the height of innovation or good game design in my opinion.

I like the games, but GTA San Andreas is no big leap over GTA 3 and it's worse than Vice City in my opinion.

Everything they added to GTA San Andreas made the game worse, and from what I hear they are all gone now anyway (working out, buying clothes etc.)

The biggest addition was that you could swim instead of drowning the moment you touched water. Hardly the height of innovation or good game design in my opinion.

I consider GTA "like" games a genre in it´s own right and unlike FPS games i expect this genre to innovate alot over the coming years.

I am not looking for new features as such, i am more interested in where the next game is gonna take me.

Really? GTA's have never been graphical showcases, but they have been fun.

I'd call them extremely talented game designers, not really talented developers in league with those that can consistently max out hardware (PD for example).
im not talking just about graphics, but about them being extremely talented developers, having the huge open worlds with lots going on, running on the ps2 with 32MB is pretty amazing.

GTA3+sequels sold at least 50million copies thus theres obviously a huge market
how many similar games to GTA are there? saints row + what else?
why arent companies trying to take a piece of this huge pie instead of entering the crowded FPS arena?
true GTA is a 800pound gorrilla but its also a LOT more difficult to develop a GTA style game (or MMORPG etc, how many of those are on consoles?) than a FPS/car racer etc

im not talking just about graphics, but about them being extremely talented developers, having the huge open worlds with lots going on, running on the ps2 with 32MB is pretty amazing.
Yeah, I'm having trouble understanding all those technical belittling of Rockstar, it's probably one of the most complex games at the time.

And I don't even like GTA3+.

True Crime, Crackdown, The Godfather, Mercenaries, The Simpsons: Hit and Run, ... there was a period of maybe two years when every big publisher simply HAD to have a GTA-style game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back