Wipeout HD [PSN]

Eurogamer tv interviewed the game director and he said that they had intended to release Wipeout as a 1080/30 game.
However they had problems with PSN integration and Sony's internal epilepsy tests, so they decided to shoot for 1080/60 and include trophies and other stuff, whilst they tackled the other issues.
Are there any other 1080/60 games on PSN?

I'm almost 100% positive that the game has been 1080p/60fps since it's very first announcement.

That said, another 1080/60 game on PSN that most folks seem to forget about is Calling all Cars. For 2D games, there's PJE and PJM. I also think flOw is 1080p, but I'm not sure of the frame rate (though I think it's 60).

I never really understood why 'upscaled' media doesn't count. If it's scaled well enough to look better than standard 720p media, then it counts, IMO.

Because it's not the same amount of pixels in the source as 1920x1080, simple as that.

To a pixel counter, that matters. To the average consumer sitting ~6ft from their HDTV, not so much.

We can talk pixels, colors, contrast, etc, all day long, but at the end of the day, what looks the same from about 6ft, looks the same.

WE may know the difference, but that doesn't mean it matters. Playing CoD4 and then swapping to say, Resistance FoM really doesn't speak volumes for resolution, since CoD4 isn't 720p, but RFoM is.

Like I siad, it counts to everyone except the pixel counters. It's really not that important, since you're not urking out massive amounts of details, even if it is close to twice as many pixels. You can't notice from normal viewing distances.

Look 3 posts above yours :p

I never really understood why 'upscaled' media doesn't count. If it's scaled well enough to look better than standard 720p media, then it counts, IMO.

Well, that's the point really. The quality of the image is typically closely related to the source material. In the case of Super Stardust, 1280x1080p is still 50% more pixels than 720p, so it does count, just not as much as 1920x1080p, which is about 100% more pixels. ;)

Of course we're discussing a non-AA image here. Once you start using effects like motion blur, AA, depth of field etc. in 720p that you don't use in 1080p, then things change.

We shouldn't count Tekken 5 though as it uses PS2 assets with very minor upgrades if any. It is a given to get 1080p native at 60FPS. If not I'd lose all hope.
It uses arcade assets (more geometry, higher res textures) and adds some self-shadowing and post processing filters.

No mention of reviews? Eurogamer gave it a 9/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=238638

But in the end, it all comes down to impact. With its cool, clean design and mixture of chilled ambience and frantic action, WipEout has always been at the heart of the PlayStation brand - so it makes sense that all the stops have been pulled out to make this HD debut something truly stunning.

The extra effort has paid off. The result is a game that commands your attention, ruthlessly hauling your eyes into the flatscreen while tickling your brain with impeccable track design and spine-snapping speeds. Sackboy may be the new face of PlayStation, but the console just hasn't been the same without WipEout. It's great to have it back.

With so few Playstation series on the PS3 so far Wipeout and Socom are a welcome addition this fall.

I'm almost 100% positive that the game has been 1080p/60fps since it's very first announcement.

That said, another 1080/60 game on PSN that most folks seem to forget about is Calling all Cars. For 2D games, there's PJE and PJM. I also think flOw is 1080p, but I'm not sure of the frame rate (though I think it's 60).

Agreed. Wipeout has always been 60 FPS from the start. You don't just patch in 60 FPS just because you some extra development time; Trophies and extra tracks - Yes, FPS - No.

To a pixel counter, that matters. To the average consumer sitting ~6ft from their HDTV, not so much.

We can talk pixels, colors, contrast, etc, all day long, but at the end of the day, what looks the same from about 6ft, looks the same.

Get a better TV then, or some glasses.

Upscaled and native is a huuuge difference. If you only got 1240x800p and stretch it out to fit 1920x1080, its obviously not going to be as clear and detailed as if you got 1920x1080 to begin with.

Its rather simple, 1240x720p contains information for about 900k pixels. 1080p native is about 2million pixels. Software upscaling has to generate 110% more pixels out of the information from the 900k pixel source.

Its rather simple logic that this is not going to give you as good as result as with a native tech.

Upscaling can hide aliasing to some degree, but the image is not getting party crisp and detailed (as the resolution should normally do).

Its not particularly demanding to upscale stuff, not particularly rewarding either (again, simple logic), it would be ridiculous to "count" upscaled media resolution. Aspecially on the basis that YOU don't see a difference. Many people do see a difference.

Going by your train of thought, if "upscaled" media count, then, if you watch SD-signals on a HDTV then it should couldn't as "HD" because its upscaled by your TV.(looks like crap compared to native HD signals thought). Is standart definition signals high-definition if its displayed on a HDTV? The answer is NO!!!

How much 'AF' can one say is gained 'for free' when rendering in 1080 vs 720?

I think you are trying to say that "textures" look sharper at 1080p than 720p. But that has nothing to do with AF.

AF (Anisotropic Filtering) means better quality pixels due to better representations of textures, especially at shallow angles, resulting in a cleaner looking image.

1080p just means more pixels which usually results in a cleaner looking image as well.

The difference between true 1080p and upscaled 1080p is Huuuuge. Just watch some video with animals with fur on them . In true 1080p you can see each every fur strand, watching a upscaled vid of the same thing side by side will make you realise what a big difference it is. I saw it running side by side at an outlet.

Get a better TV then, or some glasses.

Upscaled and native is a huuuge difference. If you only got 1240x800p and stretch it out to fit 1920x1080, its obviously not going to be as clear and detailed as if you got 1920x1080 to begin with.

Its rather simple, 1240x720p contains information for about 900k pixels. 1080p native is about 2million pixels. Software upscaling has to generate 110% more pixels out of the information from the 900k pixel source.

Its rather simple logic that this is not going to give you as good as result as with a native tech.

Upscaling can hide aliasing to some degree, but the image is not getting party crisp and detailed (as the resolution should normally do).

Its not particularly demanding to upscale stuff, not particularly rewarding either (again, simple logic), it would be ridiculous to "count" upscaled media resolution. Aspecially on the basis that YOU don't see a difference. Many people do see a difference.

Going by your train of thought, if "upscaled" media count, then, if you watch SD-signals on a HDTV then it should couldn't as "HD" because its upscaled by your TV.(looks like crap compared to native HD signals thought). Is standart definition signals high-definition if its displayed on a HDTV? The answer is NO!!!

Way to take my words out of context, apply an extreme exaggeration, and then throw a lot of numbers around *high five*.

Like I said, people simply cannot tell a different between something that is HIGHER RESOLUTION than 720p, and upscaled to 1080p, from more than 6 feet away. You can question my eye's all you want, but 20/20 vision and many visitors testimonies (wow, 1080p looks so sharp! going back and forth between native and upscaled games).

Numbers are cool, on paper, but what the END USER is able to observe from a normal viewing distance is REALLY what matters, not what you can tell when you get a screen cap and count pixels and then expose the truth to the world.

I understand this is a tech site, but taking it to the extreme all the time (i.e. me saying something that 720p or greater upscaled can look better than just 720p is not me saying SD upscaled to 1080p looks fantastic).

I understand you want to prove your point, and in the numbers, you're correct, but in the *real world* it's what the end user can observe, and again, no one is going to notice the difference between 1280x960 upscaled (I believe this is one of the odd resolutions on PS3) and native 1080p, not from normal viewing distance (which is greater than 6 feet...my 56" 1080p DLP is about 8ft from my couch).

The difference between true 1080p and upscaled 1080p is Huuuuge. Just watch some video with animals with fur on them . In true 1080p you can see each every fur strand, watching a upscaled vid of the same thing side by side will make you realise what a big difference it is. I saw it running side by side at an outlet.

Again, this depends on the source of the upscaled media. I'm almost 100% positive you're talking about a kiosk, which was running a demo unit, one being native 1080p, and the other being 480p upscaled to 1080p.

There is also a HUGE difference between 480p upscaled to 1080p, and odd resolutions like 1280x960 upscaled to 1080p.

You were also probably about 3 feet away from the displays, give it a about double the distance, and the effects are probably not as pronounced (though you will still notice a big difference, since it's likely you were looking at SD media upscaled to HD resolutions, which looks terrible). Anything that's already MORE than standard HD resolution (which is 720p) will not look "terrible" or marginally different from native 1080p on a 1080p set from normal viewing distances.

Fake Edit: Sorry for the double post, btw, just didn't want these to get jumbled up and look like one massive wall of text.

Back