Online Windmills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, guess I should clean out my PM's.

I don't want anyone to read my love notes to Geo. They are private you know.

I have no comment on this as everything happened before I started reading here, but I figured it'd be interesting for a number of people:

http://johnrreynolds.blogspot.com/2007/04/online-windmills-and-journalistic.html

Someone pointed this out to me this morning, and I offered no comment until I had a chance to confer with "my source".

I've since received JR's blessing to confirm in public that he was indeed my original source. I had no knowledge at the time that JR's source was Wavey, and in fact had some reasons to think otherwise. To this day I've never had a private conversation with Wavey about the subject, so I'm as much an interested bystander with nothing to add re that portion of JR's account as anyone else.

And, Josh, no one can ever sully what we had. Those PMs are burned on my heart forever. :love:

I had no knowledge at the time that JR's source was Wavey,

Your kidding me right? Nevermind. I dont want to know. With much restraint I buried this issue long ago. With that said I'm leaving it dead.

Your kidding me right? Nevermind. I dont want to know. With much restraint I buried this issue long ago. With that said I'm leaving it dead.

Allegations aren't knowledge, Chris. JR didn't tell me it was Wavey, and in fact refused to tell me who his source was at that time. Wavey didn't tell me it was Wavey. That some others might have seen him as the likely suspect isn't the same thing. They had every right to do so, but that would be quite different from me saying "oh, sure, I know it's Wavey" when I didn't know any such thing. And had reasons, at the time, to think otherwise to counter balance those allegations against.

Well the information has "always" been there. I recall a certain conversation in Santa Clara where I even pointed it out to a few editors there at the same table. (They know who they are) But whatever. Really this a non issue now. I've dealt with enough slander on this issue to last a lifetime. As sore an issue it is with me its mostly irrelevent now. As the website is under new management and I've come to respect the entire team from the work we've passed each other and or discussions we've had related to Nvidia related NDA material. And I see no reason to let bad blood boil over a long dead issue.

Chris

*Edit* Give it a rest Jawed. You really have no right or place to judge me as you really are not privy to any of the things I do for Nvidia and none of it is even remotely as you describe it. I put alot of work helping the Nvidia enthusiast community. A pretty much thankless job. And frankly, I could care less if you think I am welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the whole thing is interesting from a journalistic perspective. Wavey was highly revered, almost as some 3D God or something. He obviously has strong technical knowledge, and made a point to quickly correct very knowledgeable people on arcane technical issues. I don't really ever recall him admitting he was wrong or conceding anything in a discussion. He was always correct - like a God - even on subjective matters. That was certainly my experience anyways.

So if he was biased he had created a pulpit of sorts to use. I personally think he was. And I think the questions posed by Reverend when he left are applicable and interesting.

Specifically, how did this bias come about. Was it just because he cultivated relationships with ATI employees that left him privy to confidential information, which he was eternally grateful for because it enhanced his 3D God status? Was there financial compensation? Seems unlikely but who knows? In any case, ironic that the leading journalistic shill (paid or just made to feel special) for ATI would be leading the charge against focus group members.

You guys read our PMs here?!?!?

Listen, all that stuff PJ and me wrote back and forth is not true! We were just joking around about the donkey and such.... :oops:

First of all, the true origin/mechanics of the leak have been know to certain people for a while. It's quite a shame that most of PMs in my B3D mailbox from a very good friend and extremely respected member of the community are "You have a message on the other site". As for the origins of the bias.... I don't want to get neg-rapped so I'll just say my experience with the person dating back all the way to The Monty Fool 3Dfx message board would suggest the bias was anti-Nvidia as opposed to pro-ATI in origin.

You guys read our PMs here?!?!?

Listen, all that stuff PJ and me wrote back and forth is not true! We were just joking around about the donkey and such.... :oops:

To my knowledge no one here *now* is doing that. Personally, I wouldn't even know how.

Edit: Ratchet, who I consider to be a Thetan amongst vBulletin Admins, tells me the regular forum tools do not support it. It would require DB jiggery pokery with SQL or somesuch.

It's quite a shame that most of PMs in my B3D mailbox from a very good friend and extremely respected member of the community are "You have a message on the other site".

Why? Is that other site something other than PHPbb or vBulletin and thus inherently more secure? Or are you suggesting that the current regime is engaging in this activity?

Why? Is that other site something other than PHPbb or vBulletin and thus inherently more secure? Or are you suggesting that the current regime is engaging in this activity?

Geo, I have a lot of confidence in the current staff and think very highly of all of you, but you can't blame people for being carefully after what happened. Once bitten, etc.

Geo, I have a lot of confidence in the current staff and think very highly of all of you, but you can't blame people for being carefully after what happened. Once bitten, etc.

Fair enough. Just worth clarifying the thinking there.

Someone sounds guilty.:p

But I must of missed this chapter of the sites history. I only remember a brief hubub over it.

LOL those were times. In any case afaik the focus group doesn't exist anymore in its original form; those members that continue to work for NV are now doing exactly what the idea behind the group originally was. Not that anyone cares or should care I dropped out of it due to lack of time. If I go through another job change in the future, will have a more relaxed timetable and NV is still interested I'd jump back in w/o second thought.

I've no intention to re-open that stinking can of worms, despite that I have quite a few interesting e-mail exchanges kept somewhere safely for shits and giggles. What I can do though is to thank folks like Geo or JR amongst others for the trust and support (now where's my check or at least an Oscar? :p).

I was there at 3dfxgames aside with folks like Kristof, JR, Wavey and all the other Daves and those that I value know who I am and where I come from.

I've no idea what crawled up JR's butt after all this time; do people really care about those type of dramas nowadays? Uhmmm can we get a life for a change? LOL :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back