Resistance reviewed again?

Ok, so after Insomniac themselves generously admitted that Gears of War looks better than Resistance (which you won't hear me say looks bad!), and also points out exactly why (no streaming textures in Resistance)
Actually they didn't admit that GeOW looks better than resitance. Brian Hastings was telling why Resistance is not better looking than GeOW even though it takes up 14GB space. Which probably just means he thinks they are at par. He definitely doesn't say or imply that resistance is in anyway inferior to GeOW, just not superior either.

Actually they didn't admit that GeOW looks better than resitance. Brian Hastings was telling why Resistance is not better looking than GeOW even though it takes up 14GB space. Which probably just means he thinks they are at par. He definitely doesn't say or imply that resistance is in anyway inferior to GeOW, just not superior either.

I may have or may not have interpreted this comment, depending on your own view of things:

Gears of War is a beautiful game and shows off the highest resolution textures of anything yet released, partly because of the Unreal Engine’s ability to stream textures.

That's just the thing isn't it? The only standing criticism anyone managed to bring up against Resistance was "It's a shooter, and I'm tired of shooters". Well duh! Let's just wait a few months and see how quickly that stance will be retracted when the circumstances make it convenient.
And besides that, it does its own new things that extend the gameplay, such as the new mechanics I've listed before, but also with its content design, which e.g. does some pretty interesting things with elevation and multi-level arenas (in single-player, too).
And besides that, the PS3 needed at least one competitive online game anyway, having it sooner rather than later is a good idea, as there's not much to play otherwise with a library that isn't fully fleshed out.
And besides that it's both technologically sock-off-knocking and artistically pleasing.

So... talking about misinterpretating posts on purpose... what a half assed effort to start flaming INFERNO!

Resistance is a Worthwhile FPS dont get me wrong, i like its WW2+Sci-Fi feel and design which becomes more "techy" as you progress in the game(some of the maps/level look amazing).
I am not that thrilled about the weapons because i've seen them to a certain extent in other games.
about artistically pleasing + technologically sock of knocking... well 1st. granted 2nd. not so much.
matter of opinions here, i accept yours.

There you go... no comparisons drawn.

Flame On!?!?!?

Even in the quote you provided he say its beautiful game, which it is. But he does not says that its better than Resistance.

So? you expect him promoting Gears?

@Anti-Game-Theory

Disagree. Games have to fit in to genre's nowadays. Thats why every plattform tries to provide at least one game in every genre they see fit to appeal to a broader audience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even in the quote you provided he say its beautiful game, which it is. But he does not says that its better than Resistance.

Come on, surely you realise I was referring to "and shows off the highest resolution textures of anything yet released, partly because of the Unreal Engine’s ability to stream textures."

technologically sock of knocking ... not so much.

Why not? It never slows down, has tonnes of characters on screen, pretty amazing collision detection and support for huge amounts of projectiles flying around, and the physics are very sweet. And it's full of fun little details, like being able to knock against a pool table and see the balls rolling around convincingly (although not potting, unfortunately). You can also shoot them to make them move, but that seems a little less convincing - surely it'd break? Still, impressive nonetheless. You can even knock against the table with the back of your gun and see one of the balls fly off. There's lots of stuff to do like that. I love how the died Chimera slump all over the place, and if they're half-hanging on something you can shoot them some more or smash them with the back of your gun and they may slide off the object convincingly. I'm just a little way into the game, but there's really lots of stuff like this. I also like how the round energy reservoirs bounce around and explode, and how the tubes on the chimera can break off and flail around losing steam.

And I only just made it out of York.

By the way, the earlier comment about the bulls-eye is spot on. Once you get the hang of it, it's really useful.

technical

Why not? It never slows down, has tonnes of characters on screen, pretty amazing collision detection and support for huge amounts of projectiles flying around, and the physics are very sweet. And it's full of fun little details, like being able to knock against a pool table and see the balls rolling around convincingly (although not potting, unfortunately). You can also shoot them to make them move, but that seems a little less convincing - surely it'd break? Still, impressive nonetheless. You can even knock against the table with the back of your gun and see one of the balls fly off. There's lots of stuff to do like that. I love how the died Chimera slump all over the place, and if they're half-hanging on something you can shoot them some more or smash them with the back of your gun and they may slide off the object convincingly. I'm just a little way into the game, but there's really lots of stuff like this. I also like how the round energy reservoirs bounce around and explode, and how the tubes on the chimera can break off and flail around losing steam.

By the way, the earlier comment about the bulls-eye is spot on. Once you get the hang of it, it's really useful.

Resistance has most amazing technical I have seen for shooter but I do not play much shooter games. What I am disappointed is some enemy character models do not look right. But I have seen amazing videos of high levels with too many triangles. For me Resistance is amazing technical and imagination (crazy weapons) but not enough design.

You should see the amazingly realistic glass in later levels. There is a little gameplay element there... but I don't want to spoil it for you ;)

You should see the amazingly realistic glass in later levels. There is a little gameplay element there... but I don't want to spoil it for you ;)

Oh yeah, the glass is great too. I just mentioned a few things that I noticed quickly (trees are also swaying for instance, like in Call of Duty 3, and the particles / leaves that always float by are also nice effects). It's all over the place already in the first level but unless you shoot it you don't necessarily notice right away. But I suppose from you're suggestion we're getting a Resident Evil 1 homage ... which is ok, you didn't spoil much with that. ;) I have seen a fair few spoilers already also in screenshots and videos, but I don't mind - it's all very different when you play it, and they often come when I don't expect them, like the first time you casually get a glimpse of the giant floating octopusses and the conversion center ... :D

And it's full of fun little details, like being able to knock against a pool table and see the balls rolling around convincingly (although not potting, unfortunately). You can also shoot them to make them move, but that seems a little less convincing - surely it'd break?

Duke Nukem FTW ;) circa '95 was it?

London is amazing. It's so tense. The AI gets tough as nails, and the environments are gradually stacked against you. The train station mall, and some stretches inside houses there felt almost survival horrorish. Just me and my shotgun. Do I really have time to reload now? Do I really want to go around that corner?

And then, when you just thought you could handle the slower approach better, you're thrown against many large things you were previously very happy to kill when they were alone. But back then you had side-kicks to distract them, and now you are alone.
And then you meet up with ten or so AI sidekicks and a large army rolls into your poorly fortified position that tops everything you had seen before. And it snows there.

Just brilliant. It's very challenging and you actually need some strategy to get that done (keeping your sidekicks alive and managing your heavy ammo is key). Gorgeous visuals, tens of characters in the same battle, smoke, explosions, flying projectiles all over, and it never skips a beat.

Oh yeah, the glass is great too. I just mentioned a few things that I noticed quickly (trees are also swaying for instance, like in Call of Duty 3, and the particles / leaves that always float by are also nice effects). It's all over the place already in the first level but unless you shoot it you don't necessarily notice right away. But I suppose from you're suggestion we're getting a Resident Evil 1 homage ... which is ok, you didn't spoil much with that. ;) I have seen a fair few spoilers already also in screenshots and videos, but I don't mind - it's all very different when you play it, and they often come when I don't expect them, like the first time you casually get a glimpse of the giant floating octopusses and the conversion center ... :D

:) Have you met the tall and slender Chimeras yet ? If so, you've probably passed the stage I was refering to (I think, not so sure anymore).

I also noticed that on MP (Bus Yard), the glass inhibits sniper bullets. A sniper bullet will make a nice hole but won't kill the target, so you'll have to knock them out before sniping. Or just leave them intact to shield yourself from snipers (temporarily).

EDIT:
Rolf N said:
London is amazing. It's so tense. The AI gets tough as nails, and the environments are gradually stacked against you. The train station mall, and some stretches inside houses there felt almost survival horrorish. Just me and my shotgun. Do I really have time to reload now? Do I really want to go around that corner?

And then, when you just thought you could handle the slower approach better, you're thrown against many large things you were previously very happy to kill when they were alone. But back then you had side-kicks to distract them, and now you are alone.
And then you meet up with ten or so AI sidekicks and a large army rolls into your poorly fortified position that tops everything you had seen before. And it snows there.

Just brilliant. It's very challenging and you actually need some strategy to get that done (keeping your sidekicks alive and managing your heavy ammo is key). Gorgeous visuals, tens of characters in the same battle, smoke, explosions, flying projectiles all over, and it never skips a beat.

Yes, the entire Mall on "Hard" makes a special impression for me (I can only vaguely recall the bunker in that level when I played in the default difficulty).

*** POTENTIAL SPOILER ***

In Hard, the Chimeras sent in a good mix of troops for every wave. The message was very clear. Someone wants me dead. period. And yes, it does remind me of that absolute solitude in horror flicks/games (Hmm... what ELSE is out there ?). I remember it was also the first time I heard the rumbling in the ground -- something's coming (!). I kinda panicked and ran back into cover. :LOL: I felt silly after the encounter though. ;)

Another thing great is the varied terrain: 2 storeys with double courtyards, 20 feet (or more ?) tall glass wall opens to outdoor snow view/attacks, bunker, turret, long and narrow hallways connecting opened rooms littered with garbage, ...). It had me switching weapons on-the-fly.

I'd hate to see them in Super Human though (Have not reached that part yet).

Spoiler

A wave of EIGHT advanced hybrids carrying blue bulleyes rush you in superhuman in the tower, they pin you down with bulleye fire and send one after another to outflank you, absolutely deadly.

Spoiler

A wave of EIGHT advanced hybrids carrying blue bulleyes rush you in superhuman in the tower, they pin you down with bulleye fire and send one after another to outflank you, absolutely deadly.

These guys kicked my butt on normal mode :(

Finished it last night. Very challenging, but still a bit anti-climactic. I expected more of a boss fight at the very end, and not ... that.
It had a few veritable boss-fight moments earlier though, and there was proper closure to it, as far as chapters can go (it's a trilogy! you read it here first!).

Or maybe it's just me, but I find the "widowmaker" much harder to fight than the "angel" enemy.

And it's very hard to switch between online and campaign. I played a team deathmatch and totally got my butt kicked. I was hanging in there quite well on Monday, but the movement between the modes is too different to just switch over without warm-ups.
Btw 32 player TDM on that carrier is a hoot!

Finished it last night. Very challenging, but still a bit anti-climactic. I expected more of a boss fight at the very end, and not ... that.
It had a few veritable boss-fight moments earlier though, and there was proper closure to it, as far as chapters can go (it's a trilogy! you read it here first!).

Or maybe it's just me, but I find the "widowmaker" much harder to fight than the "angel" enemy.

Me too ! The Widowmaker tends to take me with it before it dies :( ...plus it's hard to predict where its projectiles will hit.

I can usually kill an Angel from far, so it's not that threatening (unless contrainted by level design in that Helicopter crash scene).

HailStorm "turret mode" is my friend. ^_^

And it's very hard to switch between online and campaign. I played a team deathmatch and totally got my butt kicked. I was hanging in there quite well on Monday, but the movement between the modes is too different to just switch over without warm-ups.
Btw 32 player TDM on that carrier is a hoot!

I hate the carrier level because it's an excellent sniping ground. I'm a sniper bullet magnet. :)

Whenever I play that level, my sole misson to sweep the deck for snipers.

Took me a short while to get used to the online pace. Best thing to do is to go into offline mode and scout the maps first. Even so, expect to see people hide/snipe from unexpected locations (not cheating).

What's after "Rise of Men" ?

I have NEVER seen that carrier map come up in ranked games! And I must have played over 500 by now.

Does it only come up in unranked games? Or is it just one of those high player count games that is hard to get into?

It's available in ranked games too. Should be a mid- to high player count game given that it's two levels.

EDIT: Just checked my stats, I have played over 1,500 games. Was told someone played 5,000 games.

Back