The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
No , I wasn't talking about IQ differences, i was talking about whether the car models in the selection screen are swapped for a lower poly one for races (and what models do replays use).

The models are the same...except in the selection screen it's rendered at 1080p with no AA (in game either 1280by1080 2xAA or 720p 4xAA).

So GT5 is also using drastically higher poly models for the car selection/showroom/pit screens compared to even the highest LOD model (ie. when the camera is really close) that features in race replays?

No...they just showed you pics from ingame and replays with the same poly hub-cap.

Pretty clear why you're asking...but we won't go there.

The models are the same...except in the selection screen it's rendered at 1080p with no AA (in game either 1280by1080 2xAA or 720p 4xAA).

Every game uses LOD to render a car with more or less polygons at varying distances though, including GT5 - it definitely couldn't do 16 cars on track otherwise ;). But definitely the differences between the dealership (there's no 3D car selection screen in GT actually) and the models you see while racing are small enough not to stand out, at the very least.

So GT5 is also using drastically higher poly models for the car selection/showroom/pit screens compared to even the highest LOD model (ie. when the camera is really close) that features in race replays?

IMO, the showroom always looked the worse to me compared to gameplay and definitely replays as you can get so close.

2j271h1.jpg

TGS 09: Gran Turismo 5 Hands-on Damage Report

- Now, for starters, there's going to be deformation damage -- scratches and stuff -- for all normal cars, but race cars are going to take hits hard in a way that will cause doors and side panels to tear completely off.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/102/1028707p1.html

interesting, the loose bumper isnt completely static in the TGS 09 version.
still doesn't jiggle w/ bumps in the road;
but it at least bounces around when it hits a wall now.

But definitely the differences between the dealership (there's no 3D car selection screen in GT actually) and the models you see while racing are small enough not to stand out, at the very least.

Thanks, that certainly looks like the case to me from my time with GT5:p.

Btw GT5's models are around 200k polys right?

Well that's what I meant - you're showing the dealership. Selecting a car pre-race is currently done by selecting a car in your garage (consisting of small car icons) and then going into a race. Online, if you select a car, you again get your small 2D garage selection screen. Of course, the dealership screen is similar enough to the car selection screen in Forza to do some comparisons of course.

@interference: yes, at least that's what Kazunori's mentioned. And that's divided into 100k for the interior and 100k for the exterior, according to him, by the way. Also not all cars use up the full budget, though there may also be cars that go over this budget a little.

- Now, for starters, there's going to be deformation damage -- scratches and stuff -- for all normal cars, but race cars are going to take hits hard in a way that will cause doors and side panels to tear completely off.

Great news. Glad to see those faithful fans rewarded for their patience. Now about that day/night driving experiences and weather, did Kazunori give an update ?

I hope they clarify what exactly is "deformation" by their standards on road cars because sractches are just a texture job and not actual deformation of geometry or seperating panels from what I've seen of the Ferrari damage vid at TGS09. Obviously I could be wrong and have simply missed another vid showing proper deformation.

That said, great to see them at least trying.

The leaked GT5 specifications also used the term "deform" or "fully deform". Given that the game is 65% complete according to the TGS exhibition guide, they may have something in the works.

By the sounds of it, road cars will have deformation but no lost parts while race cars will have full deformation, as in pieces will come off. If that's the case, I'm fine with that. Never really cared for damage anyway.

I also think that damage will look a lot better than it does now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what method will be used for their deformation, parallaxmapped dent or actual vertices translating. Or even just mesh swapping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back