The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by mckmas8808, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patsu

Legend

deepbrown, the IGN video interview is probably more representative of the current state of affairs: No weather in GT5 yet (Kazunori said so in the video).

Night racing is day/night cycle, not weather effects. And yes, they can simulate that with night tracks. :)

2. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Just based on what I know about the series, I'm going with tracks you race by day, tracks you race by night, and tracks you race in wet conditions, just like all the previous times these things were in GT's games. There's nothing in the tech or in the assets that suggests we'll see proper day-night cycles (far too many pre-baked shadows and that's not suddenly going to change at this point!), and dynamic weather is currently definitely not yet in either.

3. patsu

Legend

Good point, the weather tracks -- like night tracks -- would be sufficient to give players a different driving experience.

(Wondering what's in the additional 10 track variations now).

4. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

GT3 teached me to drive. Seriously.

Thats probably why i get 5 miles to the gallon on average :p

5. patsu

Legend

Heh, I was thinking whether PD can use head tracking to detect if the driver checks for blind spot, rear view, and side mirror before filtering into another lane, or making a turn. :)

Head movement is a very very crude way to do it, but I'm curious if it's applicable in some situations (e.g., early license test).

6. V3

V3
    Veteran

Overturning of cars, I don't remember overturning of cars in Prologue, though I am not upto date with it. With overturning of cars that means the physics engine is different.

What I want to know is if they're going to simulate fuel properly this time around. Can't be that hard.

7. Schaden

Newcomer

No overturning cars in Prologue.

Yamauchi said in the past they were working on weather to change the conditions. Maybe they're not ready to confirm rain yet.

8. deepbrown

Veteran

Didn't "teached" you how to speak though :D

9. JardeL

Regular

Is this real ?:shock:

[​IMG]

10. deepbrown

Veteran

Off-screen shot from the game at TGS (replay)

11. patsu

Legend

If you summon Ostepop to online battles, sometimes you'd hear him caution that he's drunk. :p

I guess it's a little like Gilgamesh in Final Fantasy 8

12. JardeL

Regular

Replay is 1080p 30fps , right? What about LoD or AA ? Are they different from in-game?

13. suryad

Veteran

While that is all great in terms of graphics I hope they use the real car engine audios for these cars because my M3 sure as hell does not sound like the way it does in the Prologue game. Very disappointing that was. This game is going to be an absolute no purchase for me if they dont record real car engine sounds. I want to hear the Enzo or the Zonda or the F430 sound exactly like they do in real life...so far that has not been there even in the Prologue.

14. JardeL

Regular

I don't how the Enzo sounds in real-life but if it sounds like in Supercar Challenge , man that's scary.

15. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

Actually, they do record real car engine sounds.

Its just that even if you do, its very hard to make the audio output sound like an actual car, aspecially if you have a crap surround system. Even if you have a good one, i still think it poses a lot of challenges in order to get the sound right, somebody with proper qualifications might be able to shed some light

16. TheWretched

Regular

Do you have the NEW M3? As that one now has a V8 instead of a R6, which sounds quite different.

17. thambos

Newcomer

I wonder if they will support higher resolutions for actual gameplay if you link 2 PS3s together.
    It would be a novel idea. Everyone can still play it with one, but you can actually play it in 1080p/60 w/ more eye candy if you played w/ 2 systems linked. would help them sell more systems too.

edit: would also give me a reason to get a ps3 slim :lol:

18. suryad

Veteran

Yes I have the 09 M3. I bought it a month ago. It has a stonkingly awesome v8 in it and the soundtrack is absolutely beautiful :) The car in the game does not sound anything like my car does. My friend has a nice setup at his place and since I dont have my PS3 here I go to his place to play GT 5 on his home theater surround setup and it really sounds horrible. Lets just say that FIA GTR got the sounds spot on. GT 5 has not.

Also I dont know what you mean about an R6 (yamha, audi models? :p) but I think the older M3 model had a straight 6 which also sounds awesome btw.

19. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Yes, correct. But instead of using those actual recordings, they use the data to feed their engine sound synthesizer, which saves a tonne of work, memory and bandwidth. They're doing some pretty advanced things with the sound in the environment (every car angle has a different sound, and watching replays the various environment effects, echoes etc are pretty advanced and imho awesome), but the core car sound still feels lacking. And to be honest I'm not sure why that is - if you go into Prologue and take the S2000 GT1, that car sounds quite fabulous.

20. phat

Regular

Perhaps the sound thing has to do with the fact that in daily driving, you rarely get above the lower 1/3rd of your RPM range, while in racing, you're usually playing in the upper half of your tach, where the engine starts sounding whiny instead of thunderous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.