US PS3 Launch

Loooong time lurker here, but this just made me sing up.

I'm flattered to have made a long time behind-the-scenes lurker actually sign!! Do i get paid for this kind of service? :devilish:

I think it's a good idea, but what you really want is to cut on scalpers while at the same time getting the nice PR rewards of people lining up. What they (the company launching the console) should do is have a portion of the consoles for online sale at market prices (aka ebay prices). The rest should be sold in stores normaly for MSRP. With this the real fans will be making the lines instead of homeless people as the scalpers will find it high to justify the risk, since people that can't be bothered to line up will just buy it online from the manufacturer. This has all the advantages since the manufacturer can even sell those first consoles online for a profit, they cut down on the scalping, they keep the harcore gamer on a budget happy by offering a cheaper alternative, get the nice PR from people lining up (that actually want to play and BUY games) and no disadvantages whatsoever.

So yeah l-b your idea was good, but mine's excellent. Feel free to praise me ;)

Hey hey hey, lurker, i did say that first, look!

Oh absolutely, that's why i said that both systems have advantages and disadvantages.

Still, i think the promotion side of things could be adjusted so that PR doesn't suffer...

That, or have a half-online and half-old-style launch

:D

The footage is certainly 'dramatic' :cool:

Sony stages 'dramatic' PS3 'delivery'
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161941.html?tag=latestnews;title;0
Wow. Dramatic indeed.
700 PS3s were actually in the store and have actually been sold, and if you don't read the very last paragraph, you'd never know. Gamespot really gives all they got at making it sound as if the whole launch was a hoax, while it actually wasn't.
Well good for you ZoinKs!:)

engadget has a story on the Frisco launch with lots of pictures.
Looks like a countdown on New Year's Eve!

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/17/sonys-playstation-3-flagship-launch-event/
Wow as well.

Well good for you ZoinKs!:)

engadget has a story on the Frisco launch with lots of pictures.
Looks like a countdown on New Year's Eve!

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/17/sonys-playstation-3-flagship-launch-event/

ps3_launch_20.jpg

Urgh... Look at the black levels on these LCDs... Disgusting... And that's in a fully lit room, imagine that in a dark room.

The PS3 US launch seems to be a fiasco of epic proportions. No 1080i support, HDMI cable problems, 200k units, low attach ratios.... Sony has become incompetent.

The PS3 US launch seems to be a fiasco of epic proportions. No 1080i support, HDMI cable problems, 200k units, low attach ratios.... Sony has become incompetent.

Ummm. It's less than 10 hours old. :LOL: Maybe a bit of a rush to judgement there?

Where'd you get the 200k number from?

got my ps3 in, it sure is big and shiny. :D

You'll do us a tremendous favor if you can share your experiences with us online as much as possible! Same goes for others here who get one ... clue us in! :)

You'll do us a tremendous favor if you can share your experiences with us online as much as possible! Same goes for others here who get one ... clue us in! :)

Great idea, but I'm thinking a "New PS3 Owners Impressions" thread would be the thing. . .

Oh absolutely, that's why i said that both systems have advantages and disadvantages.

Still, i think the promotion side of things could be adjusted so that PR doesn't suffer...

That, or have a half-online and half-old-style launch :D

Ahh I seemed to have missed that, but, but, but the genius of the idea comes from selling online at market price therefore cutting out the scalpers, so the royalties still come to me on this one :LOL:

Where'd you get the 200k number from?

This caught my attention too, though I've heard rumors about it, nothing definitive yet. Would really like to hear official launch numbers.

WHAT?! That's ridiculous! I'm sure Sony wouldn't like the sound of that.

Oh, I don't know about that. Probably that would just about mean they wouldn't lose money on the sale right on day one. . . I'm hearing a lot of that kind of thing, so my impression is it is pretty common.

Back