Microsoft getting ready for legal action..

AGAINST SONY!

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-claims-xbox-360-requires-hd-dvd-etc-thus-costs-700/

Ok, here's a new one: with Sony's announcements today they've issued a titled "Next-generation Console Comparison Fact Sheet," (downloadable here [DOC]) so let's see some facts. First up, were you aware that to use your Xbox 360 Core system you're required to buy the 20GB drive add-on, an HD DVD drive, a wireless controller, and an Xbox Live sub? We weren't either. But hey, it says right there, "requires users to buy" and this is, in fact, a "fact sheet." Of course, none of that's actually true, and what's more, were one to use the Xbox 360 Premium console pack in that chart instead of the Core pack, the total would be $399 for a console with that very same hard drive, wireless controller, and Xbox Live Silver subscription (which provides access to everything but multiplayer) -- remember, kids, an HD DVD drive is not required to do anything but watch high def movies -- it has nothing to do with high def gaming. We hear Microsoft ain't too happy about this chart either and is preparing certain legal action, namely because it could be misleading to otherwise unwitting retail employees selling customers game consoles this holiday season. Go figure.

P.S. -In the interest of fairness, it's also worth pointing out the Wii browser is what will cost you after the first 6 months -- not their online service. What's more, if you download the browser before June of 2007, it's straight up free. Otherwise, Nintendo hasn't yet announced details of the cost of their online service so far as we know. Another nice one, Sony.

P.P.S. -We just confirmed with Microsoft that another Sony claim -- that you need a memory unit or a hard drive to use the WiFi adapter -- is also false. You can grab a Core pack with no memory card and plug in a WiFi adapter and get on your home network. Sheez Sony, did we mention we moonlight as fact checkers?

Sony's so-called-fact sheet
http://www.engadget.com/videos/Next-Gen_Comparison FINAL.doc

Go Microsoft, Go.

And so another American company succumbs to the classic stereotypical American company fighting style : LAWSUITS !

Sony could always hit back on the basis of Microsoft's "system comparison" that they sent out to the press a while ago, which in itself is quite loaded. What goes around comes around I think is the right phrase for this kind of thing.

wow that's brutal. Classic misinformation

Seriously. Has Sony been reading Major Nelson or something to pick up these new tactics? ;)

This whole thing is a non-issue though; like Robert states, MS will simply issue a cease and desist letter, to which Sony will comply. It's almost out of control the way that so-called tech sites *have* to come up with PS3 stories to put up for the dredging hits, almost on a daily basis now it seems.

Ha as amusing as this is Microsoft has nothing to sue on. The first bit appears to be just a value comparison so while it says requires to buy the really mean you need to by it if you want to equal the feature of the PS3 $499. The only thing they say is required to by on the actual list is a hard drive or memory card which is true if you want to save any of your games.

And so another American company succumbs to the classic stereotypical American company fighting style : LAWSUITS !

Sony could always hit back on the basis of Microsoft's "system comparison" that they sent out to the press a while ago, which in itself is quite loaded. What goes around comes around I think is the right phrase for this kind of thing.

Seriously. Has Sony been reading Major Nelson or something to pick up these new tactics? ;)

This whole thing is a non-issue though; like Robert states, MS will simply issue a cease and desist letter, to which Sony will comply. It's almost out of control the way that so-called tech sites *have* to come up with PS3 stories to put up for the dredging hits, almost on a daily basis now it seems.

Uhhh, Sony started all this with their 2 x more powerful than 360 slide at E3 2005. Not to mention half the specs they released have changed (and not for the better) which they have yet to correct publically.

Yeah pretty funny article. I doubt MS would care enough for legal action though :LOL:

Well That "fact sheet" at the point of purchase could lead to a significant sales shift this holiday season and mindshare. If this document goes unchecked at this crucial buying period MS could miss significant sales this year and in following years.

Brilliant move by Sony if they get it out to the public. MS should come out with their own FUD campaign.

In order to play HD movies* with PS3 you'll have to buy a seperate stand-alone unit for $500. With Xbox 360 you can buy an add-on for $200 and enjoy every HD-DVD title on the market!

To play any of the existing next-gen games** on the market with ps3 you'll have to buy a seperate console for $300! With Xbox 360 you can enjoy every** next gen game currently on the market and in the future!

* applies only to HD-DVD titles
** applies to Xbox 360 games only

Uhhh, Sony started all this with their 2 x more powerful than 360 slide at E3 2005. Not to mention half the specs they released have changed (and not for the better) which they have yet to correct publically.

IMO it'll never be as blatant though as MN saying XeCPU has 3x the integer performance of Cell though when in fact Cell blows it out of the water in Integer potential.

The fact is, nonsense like the marketing spin these companies throw at each other shouldn't concern us; we know it's just BS, and it's just how this game gets played. It's not that I'm saying this stuff isn't worthy of discussion at all, anywhere, just that on a tech forum like this one, it comes off as noise.

And I was right there in line with everyone else saying that Sony's 2 TFLops claim was utterly meaningless, so I'm not picking and choosing my misinformation here. It's just that this thread comes off as hinting at 'MS to squeeze money from Sony for their lies,' and it just needs to be clear that that's not going to happen. There's no 'grinding Sony under the boot' that's going to take place from this, even though it's a little sad that many actually would hope for just that.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO it'll never be as blatant though as MN saying XeCPU has 3x the integer performance of Cell though when in fact Cell blows it out of the water in Integer potential.

but that kinda of talk is not in a fact sheet for retailers to give their customers.

but that kinda of talk is not in a fact sheet for retailers to give their customers.

Yeah that's true, and I thought about that after it. Frankly I'm just at the point where day after day, this cottage industry that's formed among the wannabe tech press (and they are very much wannabes) of finding something - *anything* - bad about the PS3 and/or Sony to publish is leaving me of a certain mode.

You're right though, a bogus fact sheet passed out to consumers has a greater chance of having a material impact on purchasing decisions. Still, I honestly think that - even if Sony were to go through with it - the impact would be miniscule. Game store employees, assuming they know anything at all about game systems, are going to know this is utterly bogus and act accordingly.

I don't think this is cool on Sony's part whatsoever - it's not cool at all. It's just not going to cost them millions to correct either.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I think M$ is actually on pretty solid legal ground as well as having a legitimate bitch, does anyone else just find it wildly ironic that M$ is suing someone for FUD?!?! :LOL:

While I think M$ is actually on pretty solid legal ground as well as having a legitimate bitch, does anyone else just find it wildly ironic that M$ is suing someone for FUD?!?! :LOL:

I nearly fell out of my chair :LOL:

Anyway, I doubt it's true, I think it's just engadget fishing for the story.

Uhhh, Sony started all this with their 2 x more powerful than 360 slide at E3 2005.

That comparison slide was FP performance of the CPUs..which is, uh, true. They used MS's own figure. Not that it matters a jot here.

I can forsee this turning into one of those 'whose the worst BSing company' threads. Ugh. All I can say it's a never ending downward turn. Dishonerable conduct all round. Just like trying to one-up each other with the specs, they try to one-up (or should that be one-down?) each other on the FUD. Fact sheets; technical comparisons; gibberish all. What ever happened to producing the product and letting it win on it's own merits? Leave the comparisons to 3rd parties (and no bribes thank you!) if there are to be any.

:(

Back