Technical Director for Ubi on PS3 and Blu-Ray

hey69

i have a monster
Veteran
On PS3 and Blu-Ray

My good friend Ozymandias has been going off lately about the decision to put a Blu-Ray drive in the PlayStation3. Aside from the fact that he works for Microsoft, I really don't see how he could argue that the Blu-Ray drive is not exactly the right move for games on PS3, when it comes to capacity. Here are two reasons why.
The Historical Perspective
At the beginning of the lifecycle of PS2, most games shipped on CD-ROM. These discs fit up to about 700MB of data. At the current stage of PS2, there are a few games that have shipped on DVD-9 discs. These dual-layer DVDs can hold up to 8.5GB, but one can assume that they are holding at least 4.7GB of data (the size of a single-layer DVD), or the publisher would have chosen to ship them on DVD-5.
So across the lifespan of PS2 so far, games have spanned a range of nearly 700MB to just over 4.7GB, or somewhere around a 7x size increase.
For the sake of argument, let's say the *average* game lands around 2GB right now. This would seem to indicate that conservatively we'd want to use a media format for PS3 with a maximum capacity of at least 7 x 2GB, or 14GB. That won't fit on a dual layer DVD. The only logical choices are HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. A single layer Blu-Ray disc is 25GB. Seems like this a good choice from a historical standpoint.
The Content Perspective
Let's keep running with our 2GB average game size. Relatively little of that data is game code; most of it is vertex data, texture data, audio, and video.
The number of vertices that Xbox360 and PS3 can crunch compared to the previous generation is at least 4x. 4 x 2GB is 8GB, Which would put us at a DVD-9 size if all the data were vertices. (Of course, it isn't.)
The texture resolutions have increased closer to 16x, which would push us to 32GB if all that data was texture. Yikes!
Audio on PS2 was mostly stereo, two channels. PS3 is 5.1. That's a 3x size increase without even considering fidelity.
Default video format has moved from 480i, or roughly 640x480 at 30 frames per second (9.2 million pixels per second), to 720p. 720p is 1280x720 at 60 frames per second (55.3 million pixels per second). That's about a 6x size increase. 6 x 2GB would again push us over the DVD-9 size.
And remember we're just doing back-of-the-napkin calculations here of an average 2GB game. We have 4x, 16x, 3x, 6x multiplied by 2GB. Perhaps an average game could squeeze onto a DVD-9. But the fact that this is an average means that many games are much larger. How can they possibly fit onto the Xbox360's DVD-9 long-term?
Plus ideally, shouldn't game developers feel they have enough room on disc that it doesn't constrain them? We want them to create amazing experiences, not mediocre ones. Why wouldn't you go with a larger capacity format than DVD-9?
The Other Sides of the Coin: Throughput and Market Demand
Admittedly, Blu-Ray looks dicey from several non-capacity angles. Blu-Ray movies require a 1.5x Blu-Ray drive, or 54Mbits/second. Sony announced that PS3 uses a 2x BD drive, which is 72Mbits/second or 9MB/second. The Xbox360 uses a 12x DVD, which should give it about 16MB/second. That is significantly faster for games and will result in shorter load times. And that 12x DVD drive should be a whole lot cheaper. (Note that the PS3 drive will do 8x DVD, and even that is faster than 2x BD.)
Of course the big play from Sony is that Blu-Ray will not only be popular for games, it will also be popular for movies. One of the reasons the PS2 initially sold so well in Japan is that it was very inexpensive for a DVD player. But unfortunately we're just a bit early on Blu-Ray awareness at this point for something similar to likely happen with PS3.
According to Wikipedia, DVD players launched in Japan in 1996. They came to the US in 1997, and by the spring of 1999, DVD players had reached down to the $300 price point. PS2 launched in the US in 2000.
Contrasting that with Blu-Ray, BD players launched in Japan in 2003. They really didn't hit the US significantly until this year, 2006. BD players currently are around $1000 in the US. And the PS3 is launching this year, 2006. From one perspective PS3 is launching just one year earlier than the time from DVD launch to PS2 launch in Japan. But Blu-Ray drives and discs have been very sparse so marketplace awareness is slight - it is more accurate to compare against the BD launches of 2006, which would make Blu-Ray for PS3 significantly earlier in the marketplace than was DVD for PS2.
The result is that the Blu-Ray drives for PS3 are expensive, and the demand for Blu-Ray movies in the marketplace has not flowered open yet. PS3 could stoke that fire, but it doesn't seem likely that Blu-Ray will significantly drive sales of the PS3 beyond a small hardcore market, in the short term.
It seems the decision to include Blu-Ray on PS3 must have been a difficult one. Long term it seems like a smart move, at least from the perspective of capacity. But short term that decision has definitely had some striking ramifications for PS3.
It's an interesting play, and not one that can be quickly categorized as the "right" or "wrong" thing. :)
Now don't get me started about the idea of shipping an HD-DVD drive for Xbox360!

Posted by madsax on August 31, 2006 12:04 AM | Permalink

I've seen all these arguments many times before. Seems to me that we've said all there is to say on the topic until there are more data to bring to bear.

On PS3 and Blu-Ray

My good friend Ozymandias has been going off lately about the decision to put a Blu-Ray drive in the PlayStation3. Aside from the fact that he works for Microsoft, I really don't see how he could argue that the Blu-Ray drive is not exactly the right move for games on PS3, when it comes to capacity. Here are two reasons why.
The Historical Perspective
At the beginning of the lifecycle of PS2, most games shipped on CD-ROM. These discs fit up to about 700MB of data. At the current stage of PS2, there are a few games that have shipped on DVD-9 discs. These dual-layer DVDs can hold up to 8.5GB, but one can assume that they are holding at least 4.7GB of data (the size of a single-layer DVD), or the publisher would have chosen to ship them on DVD-5.
So across the lifespan of PS2 so far, games have spanned a range of nearly 700MB to just over 4.7GB, or somewhere around a 7x size increase.
For the sake of argument, let's say the *average* game lands around 2GB right now. This would seem to indicate that conservatively we'd want to use a media format for PS3 with a maximum capacity of at least 7 x 2GB, or 14GB. That won't fit on a dual layer DVD. The only logical choices are HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. A single layer Blu-Ray disc is 25GB. Seems like this a good choice from a historical standpoint.
The Content Perspective
Let's keep running with our 2GB average game size. Relatively little of that data is game code; most of it is vertex data, texture data, audio, and video.
The number of vertices that Xbox360 and PS3 can crunch compared to the previous generation is at least 4x. 4 x 2GB is 8GB, Which would put us at a DVD-9 size if all the data were vertices. (Of course, it isn't.)
The texture resolutions have increased closer to 16x, which would push us to 32GB if all that data was texture. Yikes!
Audio on PS2 was mostly stereo, two channels. PS3 is 5.1. That's a 3x size increase without even considering fidelity.
Default video format has moved from 480i, or roughly 640x480 at 30 frames per second (9.2 million pixels per second), to 720p. 720p is 1280x720 at 60 frames per second (55.3 million pixels per second). That's about a 6x size increase. 6 x 2GB would again push us over the DVD-9 size.
And remember we're just doing back-of-the-napkin calculations here of an average 2GB game. We have 4x, 16x, 3x, 6x multiplied by 2GB. Perhaps an average game could squeeze onto a DVD-9. But the fact that this is an average means that many games are much larger. How can they possibly fit onto the Xbox360's DVD-9 long-term?
Plus ideally, shouldn't game developers feel they have enough room on disc that it doesn't constrain them? We want them to create amazing experiences, not mediocre ones. Why wouldn't you go with a larger capacity format than DVD-9?

Compression techniques have made quite a bit of progress over the six years since the PS2 came out, and not to mention the power of the consoles to decompress waters down his arguement quite a bit. In other words, it's not as simple as he makes it out to be.

Xbox had some 5.1 sound games, fyi.

Sony has said - though nobody, not even them can tell if they really mean it or if it's just hype - that they want the PS3 to be future-proof for ten years. That'd mean we wouldn't see a new PS until 2014 give or take.

Will DVDs even be around then? Good question, I think! :p

A cheap - meaning easy - way of artificially increasing the longevity of a platform is to simply pump in more graphics, full motion video etc, to give the player more to look at and experience. So you need room to store that, without forcing people to sit there and switch disks - not something you want to do with a console, considering how most people treat their stuff. BR would let sony stick a lot of graphics on a disc late in PS3's life to try and keep the look of games 'fresh', or at least fresh-ish. That of course assumes the console WILL have a very long life.

PS2 will be less than 7 years as the top-dog format, and a whole bunch more years alongside PS3, and PS2 graphics have looked extremely dated for a long time now, certain - very few - games being exceptions from that rule. We'll have to wait and see how long PS3 will look good, but then again, graphics is NOT everything, something PS2 was a very good demonstration of.

Sony has said - though nobody, not even them can tell if they really mean it or if it's just hype - that they want the PS3 to be future-proof for ten years. That'd mean we wouldn't see a new PS until 2014 give or take.

You believe that? PS1 was still selling a couple years ago, is that not a 10 year cycle? It doesn't mean they won't release a new console in 5-6 years, anyone who believes this will be the case is in for a surprise.

The PS3 and 360 will be completely outdated by 2010-2011 and BR certainly is not going to change that.

Last edited by a moderator:
"they want the PS3 to be future-proof for ten years" - that doesn't mean that they won't release PS4 in about 6 years. They also will support PS2 for next 3-4 'til 2010 and it also meant 10-year life cycle. But back then they weren't so confident 'bout their position.

I see to many guesses about PS3 hardware and capability. I won't do this but just consider that every PS3 will have at live 20GB hard drive and surely part of it will be devoted for data caching. So while you're playing game in background PS3 will load next lever or next area.

"they want the PS3 to be future-proof for ten years" - that doesn't mean that they won't release PS4 in about 6 years. They also will support PS2 for next 3-4 'til 2010 and it also meant 10-year life cycle. But back then they weren't so confident 'bout their position.

I see to many guesses about PS3 hardware and capability. I won't do this but just consider that every PS3 will have at live 20GB hard drive and surely part of it will be devoted for data caching. So while you're playing game in background PS3 will load next lever or next area.

What if that hard drive is full with demo's and other supposed "interactive" features of the PS3? or what percentage of the 20GB will be available to the user? Will the game not run and ask the user to delete files before playing?

Sony said this about all their consoles. The original Playstation's shelf-life was about ten years, and I can easily imagine the PS2 living on for the next 4 years. You'll see a PS4 in the next 5-6 years.

What if that hard drive is full with demo's and other supposed "interactive" features of the PS3? or what percentage of the 20GB will be available to the user? Will the game not run and ask the user to delete files before playing?

I'm really surprised that you even asked that question. Answer is really simple - there would definitely be a partition on which you couldn't save demos, movie or any file like those 3GB on Xbox 360's where are files responsible for backward compability. This space would be devoted solely for caching. I think it's the only way. Otherwise developer wouldn't be sure if their's space for caching so he wouldn't take advantage of HDD. I don't see any other reason why Sony is putting HDD to every console sold (OK there are other reason, but one of them is surely caching like in Xbox1).

If I recall correctly, around 13 GB of the X360's 20 GB disk is user accessible, the rest is reserved.

Yea I'd imagine they would reserve some space for games, seeing that pretty much all 1st party games will take use of the hard drive according to Phil Harrison @ GDC. Hopefully they wont take away 10gigs from us.

Actually his mention of loading times and the PS3 HD was one of my issues of contention with this guy's comments. He completely failed to mention it at all. Haven't we heard that Heavenly Sword loading times are 4-6 seconds, and although I don't know if it's a good benchmark or not, that High Def. GT demo shown at E3 loaded up in a couple of seconds. So, I'm guessing as long as the HD is used the slower data transfer speed of Blue Ray is rendered moot, No?

PS2 games used primarily 128x128 textures with 16/256 CLUTs right? That means a typical texture was between 8kb-16kb. It is likely that next-gen consoles will use 512x512 or 1024x1024 textures DXTC compressed, even assuming max compression of RGBA textures, you're looking at 128kb-512kb of space. Sure, they could store them as JPEG-2000 if they wanted and convert to DXTC, but IMHO that will only pay off if you become disk I/O bottlenecked instead of CPU bottlenecked (and IMHO if you're BR disk I/O bottlenecked, you copy MRU textures to the 60gb HD on install) Anyway, you're looking at 16x as much data *when compressed*, and if you want to assume JPEG compression, it only beats DXTC by about a factor of 2-3 and doesn't deal with the alpha channel.

So, right off the bat, you're going to deal with anywhere from 8x to 16x as much texture data even assuming advanced compression. Then, consider the fact that on next-gen games, you typically don't have 1-2 texture stages (base + detail or shadow), but many stages: base, diffuse, specular, glow, normal, etc.

System memory also limits you, but next-gen consoles can deal with anywhere from 4x to 64x the texture memory of previous consoles (XBOX = 64mb, PS2 = 4mb, or 32mb if you want to use system RAM)

So IMHO, texture load goes up MIN(4x, 16x) even considering RAM limitations and compression. And the argument that the disk can use advanced compresson works for CPU power as well, as texture memory can be increased further by storing compressed textures in a memory buffer and using the CPU to decompress them before upload.

Let's take the middle ground and say that a next-gen title will utilize 8x the texture storage of a previous gen title. Well, if a previous gen title had 2gb of textures (probably less, since that would mean a PS2 using palettized CLUT would have 125,000 unique textures!), then a next-gen title should have 16gb, not counting increase sound assets, increased map size, more vertices, bones, AI databases, etc.

John Carmack says his megatextures take are 32kx32k. That's 3gb for one RGBA texture, before compression, or 150mb per texture with JPEG, or 375mb with 8:1. For a single game level.

It certainly seems to me that it won't be hard to exceed DVD-9 in nextgen.

Actually I already know of another PS3 game that is probably going to end up between 15-20 gigs, without any video, and to tell you the truth I didn't think it was going to end up that way.

Actually I already know of another PS3 game that is probably going to end up between 15-20 gigs, without any video, and to tell you the truth I didn't think it was going to end up that way.

You mean other than resistance: fall of man? Interesting.

5.1 in-game sound won't neccessarily imply bigger storage. It's just positional sound, but you can use the same clips. But 5.1 soundtracks will, because you're talking about a DD/DTS stream precompressed. And True DD/DTS (lossless PCM) will really chew up storage.

I personally think the next-gen consoles should have had 2gb of main RAM.

5.1 in-game sound won't neccessarily imply bigger storage. It's just positional sound, but you can use the same clips. But 5.1 soundtracks will, because you're talking about a DD/DTS stream precompressed. And True DD/DTS (lossless PCM) will really chew up storage.

I personally think the next-gen consoles should have had 2gb of main RAM.

The same way last gen should have gotten 128MiB, however costs are prohibitive in that market.

Back