Projet offset comming to Xbox 360

Even then, it's a major point. It's a fantastic looking engine and the XB360 will certainly benefit. I'd also be surprised if they port the engine but don't bother to port the game, seeing as the assets will already be made and the engine is covering much of the gameplay.

From a marketing standpoint I would try and make the engine and game the poster child of XNA.

Unless MS is the publisher, I don't see why anyone would care about pushing that message

but I could see the publisher being MS considering they are keeping the publisher secret, the only console mentioned is the x360, and I see know reason for any other publisher to not want the game or engine to go to the PS3 aswell

Too Human on Offset Engine? ;)
Since the spec of the demo PC for the Project Offset is unknown, we have to see how efficient it can be in a console environment.

Even then, it's a major point. It's a fantastic looking engine and the XB360 will certainly benefit. I'd also be surprised if they port the engine but don't bother to port the game, seeing as the assets will already be made and the engine is covering much of the gameplay.

I agree. Having another multi-use engine would be a major asset for Microsoft. A lot of developers aren't developing their own engine any more, but rather licensing and costumizing already finished engines. So this is definitely good news.

A lot of developers aren't developing their own engine any more, but rather licensing and costumizing already finished engines. .

Tell that to the Sony developers. I think darn near every game coming from their 1st and 2nd party devs are self developed right?

Lair, Resistence, Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, Warhawk, 8 Days, The Getaway (PS3), Afrika, etc.

They all seem to be using/making their own engines.

Tell that to the Sony developers. I think darn near every game coming from their 1st and 2nd party devs are self developed right?

Lair, Resistence, Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, Warhawk, 8 Days, The Getaway (PS3), Afrika, etc.

They all seem to be using/making their own engines.

Aswell as MS developers: Forza 2, Halo 3, Fable 2, PDZ, Kameo, PGR3, NNN, Alan Wake, Blue Dragon, etc.

They have a nice tech demo, but I wonder if they can make a great game. A BF2 style game in the fantasy world = cool concept, but execution could be difficult, especially by a totally new company. Very few first time devs make good games, some never even get their games out the door :/

Aswell as MS developers: Forza 2, Halo 3, Fable 2, PDZ, Kameo, PGR3, NNN, Alan Wake, Blue Dragon, etc.

You pretty much made m point for me too. To me it seems like a myth that games have to use a middleware engine for next gen games.

I wouldn't want to put NNN in there though. It looks horrible.

You pretty much made m point for me too. To me it seems like a myth that games have to use a middleware engine for next gen games.

You're both citing mostly 1st and 2nd parties which both receive major funding from their parent company. They've the time and the resources to spend a little more time on tweaking and developing their own engine.
3rd parties, however, have their profit margin already reduced by the license fees. Usually they're on a tighter schedule and budget. For them using an existing engine makes perfectly sense as it lowers their costs and it reduces their development time.
I am not saying everyone is using middleware or prebuilt engines, but since last gen the trend has definitely going towards them, especially among 3rd parties.

you have not played the game on an HDTV... and I have... so I'd have to disagree with your assessment.

although it is far from the benchmark of the best looking games coming to the system, it certainly does not look horrible.

you have not played the game on an HDTV... and I have... so I'd have to disagree with your assessment.

although it is far from the benchmark of the best looking games coming to the system, it certainly does not look horrible.

Okay maybe not horrible, but it shouldn't be put beside games like Halo3, Forza 2, etc.

Lots of last gen (PS2, XBOX) titles used middleware, specifically Renderware and then EA did its thing.
Renderware doesn't exist now and its buyout put a serious dent in the confidence of middleware among publishers...

Think about it, if your a XBOX360 title using Unreal3 what happens if Sony buys Epic?
Its probably not going to happen but in publisher risk assessment you have to think about it...

Aren't these three running on old Xbox engines?I think they aren't good examples.

Lots of last gen (PS2, XBOX) titles used middleware, specifically Renderware and then EA did its thing.
If I remember correctly Just Add Monsters were one of them:p

Renderware doesn't exist now and its buyout put a serious dent in the confidence of middleware among publishers...

Think about it, if your a XBOX360 title using Unreal3 what happens if Sony buys Epic?
Its probably not going to happen but in publisher risk assessment you have to think about it...

Oh middleware engines are very very important. I just wanted to point out that plenty of games today are also being made without them. You guys for example.

Back