Predict: The Next Generation Console Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impossible. Try RT for doing limited recursion (i.e. A-star algorithm or some pathfinding AI).

But with these VTE stuff that's rumored to be in Durango can't the VTE help with the heavy lifting making it possible? Or am I overestimating how powerful VTEs are in regards to helping the GPU do ray tracing for the lighting? What I've skimmed from reading from knowledgeable guys is that the VTE would do the raytracing and the GI and that allows the GPU to do other things. From what I've read ray tracing the lighting hasn't been done in games only because they need special hardware lik the VTEs to do them and they're ally expensive.

I think its awsome MS got a VTE in their console if it's true.I just hope the games don't have that grain that raytracing demos I've seen on youtube do.If the nextbox does have a VTE that would put them ahead of GPUs on the market? Until they get VTEs anyway.

Errr another question, how many VTEs are needed?I hope epic can make raytracing lighting for UE4 thatd be awesome.:devilish:

my news posted here about digitalfoundry having informations that xboxnext and ps4 are technically very similar, passed without attention here...I think people on this thread should seriously start questioning their BLIND beliefs that xboxnext has double the RAM amount than PS, with the latter having triple bandwidth....I wouldnt call that myself as technically very similar...

We could end up this gen with practically the same hardware for both sony and microsoft...not only the same CPU, same GPU but also same Memory architecture...

Remember:

microsoft-sony.com

:)

But with these VTE stuff that's rumored to be in Durango can't the VTE help with the heavy lifting making it possible? Or am I overestimating how powerful VTEs are in regards to helping the GPU do ray tracing for the lighting? What I've skimmed from reading from knowledgeable guys is that the VTE would do the raytracing and the GI and that allows the GPU to do other things. From what I've read ray tracing the lighting hasn't been done in games only because they need special hardware lik the VTEs to do them and they're ally expensive.

I think its awsome MS got a VTE in their console if it's true.I just hope the games don't have that grain that raytracing demos I've seen on youtube do.If the nextbox does have a VTE that would put them ahead of GPUs on the market? Until they get VTEs anyway.

Errr another question, how many VTEs are needed?I hope epic can make raytracing lighting for UE4 thatd be awesome.:devilish:
There is no rumored VTE stuff AFAIK, that's just pure speculation and not based on any insider information.

my news posted here about digitalfoundry having informations that xboxnext and ps4 are technically very similar, passed without attention here...I think people on this thread should seriously start questioning their BLIND beliefs that xboxnext has double the RAM amount than PS, with the latter having triple bandwidth....I wouldnt call that myself as technically very similar...

We could end up this gen with practically the same hardware for both sony and microsoft...not only the same CPU, same GPU but also same Memory architecture...

could just be jag cores all around, both amd gcn architecture gpu's, etc. That's enough to be pretty similar by most accounts.

wouldnt read much into it.

According to CVG, Kinect 2 comes with every Durango, and it´s got its own processor. Therefore, MS might have to cut on other thing to include Kinect 2 out of the box, and the Kinect processor might be one of those 3 special sauce parts.

According to CVG, Kinect 2 comes with every Durango, and it´s got its own processor. Therefore, MS might have to cut on other thing to include Kinect 2 out of the box, and the Kinect processor might be one of those 3 special sauce parts.

If X720 is aiming at full HSA, could games that are not using Kinect2 processing [image/sound] have access to that kinect 2 chip for general/focused processing?

Bad news for me to include something i don't want ... especially if that means that cuts will be made to the graphics side to keep the cost down :???:

Bad news for me to include something i don't want ... especially if that means that cuts will be made to the graphics side to keep the cost down :???:

It would explain why the neXtBox is going to be so much weaker than the PS4. Simple cost reductions.

I do hope that isn't true of course. I don't think it's smart to aim for the mainstream market. Yes, it is a big market, but it's your hardcore gamers that will likely buy a lot more games and that's where the money is made. Selling games.

If X720 is aiming at full HSA, could games that are not using Kinect2 processing [image/sound] have access to that kinect 2 chip for general/focused processing?

I'd expect Kinect to operate as an always on service/feature of the system. It will probably need constant, exclusive access to its hardware processing resources because at any time you could issue a voice command or recognize a gesture (even in games that don't use the features, the OS still will).

New VG247 article is up, acording to their "sources":
Durango - 1.23 TF, 8GB ram, 3GB reserved for OS/apps/security, 8770 GPU
Orbis - 1.84 TF, 4GB ram, 1GB reserved for OS, based on A10 APU
Both will have abbility to read 4 layered (100gb) bluray discs.

"It’s widely assumed that both consoles will launch in November this year."

"VG247 is under the impression that several media outlets are in possession of documents related to Durango from CES and are currently working on major leak stories."

"VG247 is under the impression that several media outlets are in possession of documents related to Durango from CES and are currently working on major leak stories."

jives with our knowledge, except the a10 apu is still stupid and makes no sense in this context. and no, it's not going to be an apu+discrete.

first time i've heard an alleged os figure for ps4. if they're right final ram count for games is 5gb and 3gb.

So the guy who invented Kinect is delivering the future of xbox presentation at Microsofts event and people still aren't sure that Kinect is going to be Included as part of the package from the start?

Wake up people.

Last edited by a moderator:

The information in the article seems to be directly taken from NeoGAF.

The information in the article seems to be directly taken from NeoGAF.

Well, if the information on GAF has been correct, wouldn't you expect other sources basically confirming it?

As far as RAM amounts and flop counts, all the rumors are starting to converge to these numbers. Yeah, they could be originating in the same source, but that seems unlikely, imo.

If they really are planning on including Kinect 2.0 in every box and the result is that they have to dumb down the hardware of the Xbox unit itself to accommodate for the additional cost....

That would be extremely aggravating. Might impact my purchase, because I want jack all to do with Kinect right now. I'd rather have a meaty game console that lets me play and interact with games I'm actually interested in.

Although it seems like Orbis has a pretty noticeable memory deficiency when compared with the Durango. Faster RAM be damned, according to those specs Durango has near about twice as much usable memory for games after overhead is taken into account.

I guess this is typical Sony- better to have faster\superior RAM than more of it. But won't that gap have a rather serious impact on game performance for multiplats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back