F1 '06 (PS3) new pics

It's getting better, but the cars still don't have enough contact with the road (physics problem I think) and I really am not impressed with the track-side detail right now. I would also like to see some nicer natural lighting effects.

Other than that though, the game is looking better than I had expected (my expectations of F1 games have generally been rather low). If it has good online play and wheel support, and has a good driving 'feel', I might actually enjoy it. :)

If it has good online play and wheel support, and has a good driving 'feel', I might actually enjoy it. :)

22 players online apparently (the full grid). Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical of them managing consistent performance there. Would be quite a feat if they pull it off though.

I'm sorry, but the environment in a racing game, who cares? Especially with this one which goes fast as hell...
yeah persepective and all. I usually gaze at the environment in racing games on the straightaways though. It just needs more variety.

yeah persepective and all. I usually gaze at the environment in racing games on the straightaways though. It just needs more variety.

Problem is that even if you look at real life F1 races, they're hardly what i'd call "nice and varied environments"... They's all pretty dull and empty parts of the planet.

Video looks pretty snazzy. Hopefully it actually hits stateside -- I can't say I've been all that eager to try previous F1 games, but this looks pretty neat. ~20 people races online would be a site to see...

Well, to be totally honest, the UK Sony studios have always been VERY good when it comes to graphics and pushing the hardware. That applies to PS2, and examples are Primal, The Getaway, Ghosthunter and a few others.

The problem is that they seem to stop there and not do much about the gameplay aspect of the games.

i never got that impression from psygnosis. their games are usually well-rounded, i'd rate them possibly some of the best production coming from the old continent.

i never got that impression from psygnosis. their games are usually well-rounded, i'd rate them possibly some of the best production coming from the old continent.

Was it on N64? because that F1 game is the only F1 game I remember worth playing.

Was it on N64? because that F1 game is the only F1 game I remember worth playing.

i'm affraid you've missed quote some from the the word's game legacy.

from that titles list i can attest that ~1/3rd (ie. the portion which i've played - mainly pc titles) were all top-notch games for their time. some still are, after a decade or so.

and their recent production is not a sloth either - wipeout pure is still one of the 3 commercial games i ever play on the psp, and the only non-japanese title among those.

Last edited by a moderator:

The best F1 game on the '64 was F1 World Grand Prix. It was better than F1 '96 and F1'97 on the PSX, but it came out way later (1998/1999).

Not trying to discredit your opinion, but have you played an F1 game before? Gameplay looks excellent if you ask me. :D Liverpool ain't excellent a crap developer.

Let's see.

Yeah, I've played more than just a few F1 games. Haven't played one yet where you can drive off the road at top speed in the rain and maintain traction through both grass and gravel traps. Don't recall playing one where you can hook wheels with another car and suffer no consequences other than slowing down either. Haven't played one where your car handles like it's on rails in the rain that I can recall.

Let me ask you this.

Have you ever played a racing sim before? Of any kind?

The last thing I think of when I see an F1 game is "arcade racer" but from that gameplay video that's all this game is. The last F1 game that I played that was this arcady was on the N64.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back