Do you think there will be a mid gen refresh console from Sony and Microsoft?

AMD and Nvidia high-end: 9.47%
Since you included the GTX 1080 and 1080Ti in there you must also include the following: 2070, 2070 Super, 3060, 3060Ti, 3070 and 3070Ti, as these cards offer same or better performance than 1080/1080Ti. This will boost the percentage significantly.

Much bigger but also cost of r&d much bigger, sony mostly use what amd create with some adjustments
NVIDIA also designs one arch and reaps the cost across AI/Professional/HPC/Gamers/Mobile products, so the much bigger R&D argument doesn't hold here.

I'm joining the discussion half way though, but why aren't all the GPU's that are faster than PS5 not being used?

PS5 is a 6600/6650XT in pretty much all third party games.

So any GPU faster than those needs to be factored in.

And not classing a 4070ti as high end card? LOL...what?

Since you included the GTX 1080 and 1080Ti in there you must also include the following: 2070, 2070 Super, 3060, 3060Ti, 3070 and 3070Ti, as these cards offer same or better performance than 1080/1080Ti. This will boost the percentage significantly.
Like I said, it's not about relative performance. The same buying decision for console and PC gamers is the high-end option or not.

I would probably went back to pc if there wasnt midgen refresh this year as current gen consoles starts to show age with low internal res on demanding games. Also sony wont bring theirs aaa singleplayers titles day 1 on pc, I also dont see releasing psvr2 titles soon.
Exactly!!

Reactions: snc
And yet it's significantly more than the proportion of high-end GPUs in the PC market. I have two PCs, one with a 3080 and the other with a 4090 but apparently but I'm in an insignificant minority. The number of other people with those same cards (or 4080s or 3090s) is pretty much akin to a rounding error statistically speaking. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The reason Sony gave for the PS4 Pro was to reduce erosion of people moving to PCs mid-generation, because if that happens then Sony lose their cut on all games sold on a different platform. That's the only reason PS4 Pro existed.
100% spot on

They tried the midgen refresh last gen. It worked out well for them and they are doing it again. But this time its going to ride the GTA 6 wave. Its going to be a success ceteris paribus. And its going to be a much more powerful machine, easy to develop for and wont be costly for them to make since only the GPU is going to be a major cost.

Last edited:
Would there be a much R&D in taking a bunch of tried and tested tech and deploying it in a different package? It's not like the large hadron collider where there were genuine fears turning it on could end the universe. AMD already make a lot of variations of these individual technology building blocks, as they did for the tech in PS4, XBO, PS4 Pro, One X, PS5 and Xbox Series.

The tech that goes into consoles is typically well trodden, the real trick is manufacturing the boxes as cheaply as possible.

If the rumours turn out to be true, then yeah, I guess R&D for a GPU upgrade isn't all that expensive. I'd just assumed it would be similar to R&D for a whole new console ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The R&D is part of why I'm rather surprised by the rumours of a 50-60CU GPU with some architectural improvements.

I was expecting basically the same APU with no disabled CU's, clocks pushed as high as possible, and 18gbps GDDR6. Maybe some Infinity Cache too, if incorporating RDNA3's chiplet cache wouldn't be too costly to manufacture/assemble.

But maybe, when porting the PS5 to 5nm, R&D costs for one more configuration - with more CU's and features from the pre-existing 5nm architecture - are relatively low?
They had the Infinity Cache option last time around too, but neither console manufacturer wanted it

I would probably went back to pc if there wasnt midgen refresh this year as current gen consoles starts to show age with low internal res on demanding games. Also sony wont bring theirs aaa singleplayers titles day 1 on pc, I also dont see releasing psvr2 titles soon.
There it is. Sony target customer for PS5 Pro! Sony know what they are doing.
If the rumours turn out to be true, then yeah, I guess R&D for a GPU upgrade isn't all that expensive. I'd just assumed it would be similar to R&D for a whole new console ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If some rumors are true, then PS5 Pro will be a whole new GPU (well APU). Most credible ones are that it will be some kind of RDNA4 prototype for AMD, the same way PS5 was a RDNA2 prototype. The first RDNA4 desktop GPU should have the same restructured architecture, the same number of WGPs by shader engines and the same new traversal RT hardware as PS5 Pro.

The only thing we still have no clue is about dedicated ML hardware possible since RDNA2. Are Sony going to want that in their PS5 Pro? they could ask AMD not to include it to save die area.

Last edited:
Reactions: snc
They had the Infinity Cache option last time around too, but neither console manufacturer wanted it
Good point. I wonder if that's related to them all being RDNA1 (no IC) with a bunch of RDNA2 (all/largely with IC) features bolted on? Maybe simply cost? I'd love to know why they passed up something that PC benchmarks proves as beneficial.

If some rumors are true, then PS5 Pro will be a whole new GPU (well APU). Most credible ones are that it will be some kind of RDNA4 prototype for AMD, the same way PS5 was a RDNA2 prototype. The first RDNA4 desktop GPU should have the restructured architecture, the same number of WGPs by shader engines and the same new traversal RT hardware.

The only thing we still have no clue is about dedicated ML hardware possible since RDNA2. Are Sony going to want that in their PS5 Pro? they could ask AMD to not include it in order save die area.

I'm still kinda sceptical about the substantially improved architecture, but I'd love it to be true.

The trouble though, is that the PS4Pro showed us that many developers wouldn't go the route of CB4K, but would often just render at 1440p in accordance with the increase in TF. That demonstrates a low likelihood of the adoption of bespoke features of a mid-gen console. So I'll be interested to see if rumoured features such as improved ray traversal even see much adoption.

As for dedicated ML hardware, I'm fairly doubtful. I don't think we've yet seen any across the existing RDNA architectures, have we? NVidia's performance advantage certainly indicates they'd be useful, but AMD's demonstrated philosophy (so far, anyway) seems to point to a greater likelihood of multi-purpose units.

As for dedicated ML hardware, I'm fairly doubtful. I don't think we've yet seen any across the existing RDNA architectures, have we? NVidia's performance advantage certainly indicates they'd be useful, but AMD's demonstrated philosophy (so far, anyway) seems to point to a greater likelihood of multi-purpose units.
So I am. And you don't need dedicated hardware to do ML jobs as it can be done easily with FP16 like in God of War Ragnarok. Spider-man games also do ML inference on PS5 but i don't know how they do it. The point is you can perfectly do it without dedicated ML hardware available since RDNA2 era. Maybe Cerny will think the FP16 compute they have is enough to do what developers need for their games. I could see them adding ML silicon (like what's in RDNA3) if they had a new need with a specific upscaler technique similar to DLSS, but I doubt it because we haven't seen a Cerny patent looking anything like a DLSS technique.

I'm joining the discussion half way though, but why aren't all the GPU's that are faster than PS5 not being used?

Seems people are using arbitrary goal posts to suit their narrative. There is no way to easily compare PC and console buying habits. The value propositions and range of options are quite different.

The trouble though, is that the PS4Pro showed us that many developers wouldn't go the route of CB4K, but would often just render at 1440p in accordance with the increase in TF. That demonstrates a low likelihood of the adoption of bespoke features of a mid-gen console. So I'll be interested to see if rumoured features such as improved ray traversal even see much adoption.
I'd argue that with cross-gen now the standard, PS5Pro would get, and inspire, higher-end PC features. Devs wouldn't target 5Pro directly, or even need to; they'd just make their cross-plat game in UE5 or whatever and set the appropriate settings, without needing bespoke 5Pro solutions like 4Pro needed.

Seems people are using arbitrary goal posts to suit their narrative. There is no way to easily compare PC and console buying habits. The value propositions and range of options are quite different.
No comparison was being made towards any conclusion. It was just an observation.

For PS5 on the hardware side, there was the custom I/O controller and weird solid state cells (slow writes, fast reads), plus whatever backwards compatibility AMD had be implement in hardware because PlayStation has well-documented super thin architecture abstraction layers. I reckon the vast majority of R&D is on the software stack and creating new tools and profilers for developers as this is produced in-house by Sony (SN Systems) and takes a long, long time - along with all the documentation ghat developers need.

For the last couple of console generations, PlayStation consoles have been more like lego-brick assemblies in terms of the hardware. No weird EmotionEngine, no baffling Cell architecture, or dual/ring-bus implementations. x64 APUs, unified RAM with some customer changes from what AMD were including as standard in commodity PC parts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The whole reason for this discussion was to understand why Alex referred to 14M PS4 Pros.. as "incredibly low"... when the answer is obvious... because it is. 14M out of 120M+... IS incredibly low.

I didn't ever see Alex claim X number of high end GPUs.. was some high percentage.. so I'm not sure why the comparison to PC GPUs was made in the first place. We all know buying habits are different... and PCs serve far more uses. Not to mention comparing known numbers to estimates..

The whole reason for this discussion was to understand why Alex referred to 14M PS4 Pros.. as "incredibly low"... when the answer is obvious... because it is.
Depends entirely what you are comparing it to. Notably, Dictator must have had an idea of what 4Pro should have sold that would not be incredibly low. What would a reasonably expectation be, and why? Notably because it had never been done before, what's the basis for thinking it would sell significantly more? Or what's the basis for thinking it would sell any number whatsover?

14M out of 120M+
There were already about 40M PS4s before PS4Pro released. Therefore actual percentage of hardware sales was more like 14/80, or 17.5%.

Like I said, it's not about relative performance. The same buying decision for console and PC gamers is the high-end option or not.

If this is the basis of your argument then splitting the PC buying decision up into a binary choice of sub £500 vs £600-£1500 when the console decision was something like £300 vs £349 seems a bit arbitrary.

If the choice is between a base model that "gets the job done" or a slightly more expensive one that provides a more premium experience then the comparison on the PC side should include the xx70 series in the higher end category. Certainly at launch they are generally considered to be above mid range and more of a budget orientated performance option.

If this is the basis of your argument then splitting the PC buying decision up into a binary choice of sub £500 vs £600-£1500 when the console decision was something like £300 vs £349 seems a bit arbitrary.
Of course it's arbitrary, it's a complete nonsense. I think in the UK the cost difference between the cheap PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro was £240 vs £350 but consoles and PC performance and pricing really aren't comparable because PCs and their commodity parts need to be sold for a profit and consoles do not, but that does doesn't stop platform warriors trying to do just that.

But I think you've really missed the point of my original post which is that in any market the high-end options generally sell far less in lower-spec'd and lower-priced variants and same is true for consoles and GPUs. Once launched, PS4 Pro represented 1 in 5 sales of consoles. Do you honestly think that 3080/3090/3080/3090 cards represent 1 in 5 Nvidia GPU sales?

Of course it's arbitrary, it's a complete nonsense. I think in the UK the cost difference between the cheap PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro was £240 vs £350 but consoles and PC performance and pricing really aren't comparable because PCs and their commodity parts need to be sold for a profit and consoles do not, but that does doesn't stop platform warriors trying to do just that.

But... you're the one who came up with the comparison to the PC market in the first place? Dictator didn't mention any comparison to PC GPU's in his post. If it's a nonsense comparison, then why make it?

But I think you've really missed the point of my original post which is that in any market the high-end options generally sell far less in lower-spec'd and lower-priced variants and same is true for consoles and GPUs. Once launched, PS4 Pro represented 1 in 5 sales of consoles. Do you honestly think that 3080/3090/3080/3090 cards represent 1 in 5 Nvidia GPU sales?

Yes but your selection of the comparable set of GPU's on the PC side (xx80 and upwards) to match up against the sales figures of the PS4 Pro seems entirely arbitrary outside of proving your point which is seemingly that "mid gen refresh consoles are more popular than the equivalent subset of PC GPU's" - where what makes that subset is decided by you. As mentioned at least a couple of times now by different posters including myself, simply switching the xx70 series from your "this is a base console comparable GPU" category to your "this is a performance console comparable GPU" category completely reverses the conclusion you're drawing to roughly the tune of 1 in 3 PC GPU's are of the "performance classification" vs 1 in 5 in the console space.

And can you hand on heart argue that the xx70 series is not a performance orientated part as opposed to a "base experience" part?

Back