Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Nanite is just light years ahead of other rendering engines. I'm sure other studios will catch up, but this thing is incredible. It's the kind of massive leap we wanted last console gen but didn't get.

Playing it on a 2080Ti system, its the most impressive tech demo so far shown thats actually playable.

Nanite is just light years ahead of other rendering engines. I'm sure other studios will catch up, but this thing is incredible. It's the kind of massive leap we wanted last console gen but didn't get.

It will be great once ready. At the moment it doesn't for example support animated vegetation. Trying to use ue5 to create hzd forbidden west for example would be out of luck. All the expensive nanite details would be mostly hidden by vegetation that cannot (yet) be made with nanite. Once nanite can do animated objects world changes.

It will be great once ready. At the moment it doesn't for example support animated vegetation. Trying to use ue5 to create hzd forbidden west for example would be out of luck. All the expensive nanite details would be mostly hidden by vegetation that cannot (yet) be made with nanite. Once nanite can do animated objects world changes.

Why would you be out of luck? If Nanite objects are occluded they're not rendered. You're also missing how much of HFW's visual makeup is floor and large tree trunks etc

so that's why it was more impressive last year, they had to contain the size and make it run on a wider range of hardware.
That is not what was said really - they mentioned they are not using unique normal maps per asset or unique roughness per asset and are using detail tiling for both. Depending upon how that would be set up by the artist, that could of course yield an inferior or superior result while also having a lower disk footprint - it depends on the asset and setup for sure.

Vegetation will never use Nanite, this is use case not working with the technology. But they can use it on the trunk of the tree. When Nanite will support skinned character and translucent material it will be great and a big progress.

Seeing Frosbite, hair rendering will probably change everywhere with software rasterizing line.

I hope grass and leaves rendering will change too in the future.

Ec54FYAU8AAdc13

Interesting they said the Valley of the Ancient asset quality is inferior to last year demo because the demo size was taken in consideration.
It was a very noticeable downgrade. I wonder what is a realistic expectation given current game storages.

Last edited:
David Jaffe said bend studio worked on days gone 2 moving from ue to decima engine. And we know now it will be new ip after cancelation of dg but it seems it will be on decima not ue5.

Back