Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

Cheaper?, they're pretty cheap already
Just looked up PCR test here in barcelona Price: €99.00
i.e. the test is easily more expensive than getting even the most expensive vaccine

• Oxford/AstraZeneca: €1.78 (£1.61). x2
  • Johnson & Johnson: $8.50 (£6.30). x1
  • Sanofi/GSK: €7.56. x2
  • Pfizer/BioNTech: €12. x2
  • CureVac: €10. x2
  • Moderna: $18. x2

Pfizer are reportedly charging in the region of $40 per dose, I seem to recall reading. Moderna even more expensive. Not sure where you got the CureVac figure from as that hasn't even finished its trials! And the Sanofi vaccine didn't work so they are rejigging it to see if they can make it effective.

I think the Novavax vaccine will be an interesting one to watch. Very different technology to the others already authorised. It just seems to be a little slow rolling out as the positive trial data was released a few months ago and I expected they would be as quick off the mark as the other vaccine types. There doesn't seem to be any certain date for authorisation and availability of this one yet.

Pfizer are reportedly charging in the region of $40 per dose, I seem to recall reading. Moderna even more expensive. Not sure where you got the CureVac figure from as that hasn't even finished its trials! And the Sanofi vaccine didn't work so they are rejigging it to see if they can make it effective.

I think the Novavax vaccine will be an interesting one to watch. Very different technology to the others already authorised. It just seems to be a little slow rolling out as the positive trial data was released a few months ago and I expected they would be as quick off the mark as the other vaccine types. There doesn't seem to be any certain date for authorisation and availability of this one yet.

Those prices look fake, this is the leaked prices of vaccines that the EU pays:
Belgian minister tweets EU's Covid vaccine price list to anger of manufacturers | Coronavirus | The Guardian

• Oxford/AstraZeneca: €1.78 .

• Johnson & Johnson: $8.50

• Sanofi/GSK: €7.56.

• Pfizer/BioNTech: €12.

• CureVac: €10.

• Moderna: $18.

• Oxford/AstraZeneca: €1.78 .

• Johnson & Johnson: $8.50

• Sanofi/GSK: €7.56.

• Pfizer/BioNTech: €12.

• CureVac: €10.

• Moderna: $18.

Now I can see why the UK Government has had a massive hard-on for AZ. I'd assumed it was because each vial comes wrapped in a Union Jack. But no, it's because it's the cheapest.

Cheaper?, they're pretty cheap already
Just looked up PCR test here in barcelona Price: €99.00
i.e. the test is easily more expensive than getting even the most expensive vaccine

• Oxford/AstraZeneca: €1.78 (£1.61). x2
  • Johnson & Johnson: $8.50 (£6.30). x1
  • Sanofi/GSK: €7.56. x2
  • Pfizer/BioNTech: €12. x2
  • CureVac: €10. x2
  • Moderna: $18. x2

Are you comparing the mass purchase price per vaccine dose paid by EU to price paid by individual person of having a PCR test taken and analyzed?

It's a bit like saying that a teaspoon of sugar is much cheaper than arranging a private birthday party at your favorite entertainment facility.

But vaccine of course has much better value, whatever its price. The PCR test result is basically worthless as soon as you have been exposed to someone potentially spreading the virus. Much like the funds you spend to the birthday party seem badly spent on the following morning.

Last edited:
Now I can see why the UK Government has had a massive hard-on for AZ. I'd assumed it was because each vial comes wrapped in a Union Jack. But no, it's because it's the cheapest.

The biggest point was that it was going to be ready earlier than the others (but for the Pfizer/BioNTech). The EU also signed a deal for up to 400 million doses which was hopelessly optimistic (the UK has only received a fraction of the doses expected as well). We also funded the development to a great degree. Designed and developed by British scientists at a British University, paid for by various UK institutions and funds so it's no surprise that we went for it and bigged it up as much as possible.

The AZ vaccine has already saved thousands of lives in the UK this year and will save many more in the future, so I can't really fault the government. It wouldn't be possible to set up factories in the UK to produce the mRNA vaccines as they are such new technology so AZ was the only real way forward as there are plenty of companies who can manufacture viral vector vaccines. Gov.uk have been extremely shit with most other things Covid-related, but not in backing this vaccine.

The EU similarly backed the French Sanofi vaccine with an order for 300 million doses but that one didn't work, unfortunately.

They are manufacturing some of the Novavax vaccine in the UK which is good news as we can't be reliant on the continent for most of our supplies, especially given the current frosty relationship thanks to Brexit idiocy and vaccine nationalism. We're likely to need boosters to provide more efficacy against the newer variants at some point, whether later this year or next year. Would be helpful if we didn't have to go cap in hand elsewhere to get them.

Are you comparing the mass purchase price per vaccine dose paid by EU to price paid by individual person of having a PCR test taken and analyzed?
Yes you're correct its an apples to oranges comparison, I couldnt see a price of what governments pay for PCR test
. My main point is the mRNA vaccines are already quite cheap

There is also a Texas variant of a variant. Everything, including problems, are bigger in Texas.

Latest numbers for the rare clots from the AZ vaccine in the UK, updated to 21st April.

We're up to 209 cases with 41 deaths and that's from 22 million first doses given. So, that works out at around 1 in 100,000 risk of getting the thrombosis/platelet issue with 1 in 500,000 risk of death. However, the figures seem to indicate that it is more likely to occur in younger people than older folk. The breakdown is that there have been 14 deaths in under-40s so that's about a third of the number despite the fact that fewer under-40s have been vaccinated in comparison to older groups. Many of those who have, however, will have other health issues if they've received the vaccine so soon, so it's difficult to say for sure the additional risk, especially as an exact breakdown of the numbers vaccinated for these age groups isn't known. The FT is reporting that it might be the case that the authorities recommend the AZ vaccine is only used for over-4os in due course.

The Russians are keen to dispel any fears about their adenovirus vector vaccine:

https://sputnikvaccine.com/newsroom/pressreleases/the-gamaleya-center-statement/

Is this statement accurate and truthful? Quite possibly, but then we'll never really know until the vaccine has been widely used in a larger country with good tracking of side-effects. One that is willing and able to report on any issues which arise honestly as well.

Better to wait for them to solve the problems before using the vaccine.
Looks like the adenovirus are replicating!!
https://arstechnica.com/science/202...says-its-tainted-with-replicating-cold-virus/

I got my second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine on Tuesday and that had much more of an impact on me than the first. The first dose just made me a bit tired. This one had me almost unable to sleep due to joint pain and headaches for about 24 hours. It's interesting that they are exactly the same injection and it's two doses to get a more pronounced immune response the second time.

Last edited:
As Trump has shown us, With huge chunks of the population you are rewarded with telling lies. And with very little consequences even when ppl finally realize you are lying to them. I hate this part of the modern world, its like I was reading yesterday about gweneth paltrow https://www.theguardian.com/fashion...ty-retailer-meccalife-virtual-wellness-summit
they cheer this minor victory, where as prolly gwen just shrugs her shoulders and saiz whatever and goes about whats she doing,
now if there was real consequences about telling lies (actual jailtime, not fines, fines dont work) then she may go hmmm OK maybe the rewards of lying to ppl aint worth it. At the moment the rewards for lying are totally worth it.

Back