AMD FidelityFX on Consoles

It shouldn't be surprising that at least some subset of FidelityFX is supported on PS5 as it does have at the very least, most of RDNA 2's feature set. Hell, it'd be great if it had hardware support for all of FidelityFX, and maybe it does. It likely could support all of it even if there isn't direct hardware support. It wouldn't take much, IMO, to have a software fallback at some X cost to implementation speed.

It also shouldn't be a surprise if XBS supports all FidelityFX features as MS seeks to unify the Xbox and PC gaming ecosystems. IE - ensuring that any features supported on PC via DX is also supported on console and vice versa.

To put it another way, there's a huge incentive for MS to ensure everything in the PC space that DX supports is also supported on console. Sony doesn't have that level of pressure on them, they can choose to only support things that they feel benefit games and leave out things that they don't think is beneficial or where the cost/benefit ratio isn't high enough or they feel they have a better solution. NOTE: one company or another feeling something is or is not beneficial to games doesn't mean that developers would or would not benefit from said feature. :p

At the end of the day, the only thing that should matter to a gamer/console owner is whether or not X game runs well enough on their console and that it is fun to play. X, Y, Z hardware capabilities are relatively immaterial to this.

Of course, that said, this being a tech forum. It's fun to try to tease out what technical features a given piece of hardware has. It's when zealotry sets in (hypothesis stated as facts) that it starts to get tiresome.

Regards,
SB

Also, FidelityFX super resolution is whats supposed to be their reconstruction tech (though not run on dedicated/specialized hw like the tensor units).
RT, reconstruction and all those other features are supported on PS5, xsx, rdna1/2, its a matter of speed as opposed to having specialized hardware for it.

Would be very confusing if PS5/XSX etc didnt support those FidelityFX features.
If you were a typical gamer who knew nothing about tech, it might be confusing, sure.

And you might also pointlessly argue that a certain technique might technically work with 'x' hardware, but obviously what matters most is whether it's really built for it or practical/economical to do so.

I kinda though coming here would be a place where I could avoid having to waste my time parsing technicalities. Foolish.

RT, reconstruction and all those other features are supported on PS5, xsx, rdna1/2, its a matter of speed as opposed to having specialized hardware for it.
But if a certain platform did have specialized hardware for it and another didn't, then it would be quite significant for those specific workloads.

This is absolutely a real possibility, especially since we've learned that neither PS5 or XSX have the same desktop-level architecture features of RDNA2. There's also enough ambiguity between XSX and PS5 between what level of RDNA2 features they have that it's straight up unreasonable to be making any certain conclusions either way. Anybody trying to do otherwise would just make me think they are biased and/or have some specific narrative to push.

But if a certain platform did have specialized hardware for it and another didn't, then it would be quite significant for those specific workloads.

This is absolutely a real possibility, especially since we've learned that neither PS5 or XSX have the same desktop-level architecture features of RDNA2. There's also enough ambiguity between XSX and PS5 between what level of RDNA2 features they have that it's straight up unreasonable to be making any certain conclusions either way. Anybody trying to do otherwise would just make me think they are biased and/or have some specific narrative to push.
The only RDNA 2 PC feature that is absent on the Series consoles is the L3 cache. And it is there primarily to augment the bandwidth of the main memory.

If you were a typical gamer who knew nothing about tech, it might be confusing, sure.

And you might also pointlessly argue that a certain technique might technically work with 'x' hardware, but obviously what matters most is whether it's really built for it or practical/economical to do so.

I kinda though coming here would be a place where I could avoid having to waste my time parsing technicalities. Foolish.

For the most part, B3D is far more solid when it comes to actual technical discussions, rather than your typical fanboy drivel gaming sites. Don't get me wrong, there are some obvious trolls here, but the good old ignore function takes care of that. The real problem that I see here and other places are that people or board members can't or will not admit when they're wrong, but would rather go down with the ship before admitting it. Debating and giving opinions is one thing, knowing that you're dead wrong (and proven wrong) is a whole other level of fanboyism.

The real problem that I see here and other places are that people or board members can't or will not admit when they're wrong, but would rather go down with the ship before admitting it.

I dunno if that's an other forums problem -- maybe they'e finally caught up, but when I put some people on ignore they were still holding the 'VRS is secretly a bad thing to have' candle.

The real problem that I see here and other places are that people or board members can't or will not admit when they're wrong, but would rather go down with the ship before admitting it. Debating and giving opinions is one thing, knowing that you're dead wrong (and proven wrong) is a whole other level of fanboyism.

Wadda ya mean? My PS5 got so much secret sauce its oozing out, I have to wipe it up once a day and pour it back in....

Liberal use of the ignore function really does filter 99% of the noise, although it can leave some confusing comment chains in its wake. That said, this is the B3D console sub-forums we're talking about -- I feel like most of the reason they were introduced was just to filter it out of the main forum.

Liberal use of the ignore function really does filter 99% of the noise, although it can leave some confusing comment chains in its wake. That said, this is the B3D console sub-forums we're talking about -- I feel like most of the reason they were introduced was just to filter it out of the main forum.

Spot on.

It's not THAT bad, I still don't have anyone on ignore. :p Regardless of whether I feel someone is a good contributor or not, they might at times offer some insight that I wouldn't have thought of. Additionally, even a broken clock is correct once a day (24 hour format) or twice a day (12 hour format). ;)

Regards,
SB

There's also enough ambiguity between XSX and PS5 between what level of RDNA2 features they have that it's straight up unreasonable to be making any certain conclusions either way. Anybody trying to do otherwise would just make me think they are biased and/or have some specific narrative to push.
IMO the ambiguity is coming mostly from the radically different technical-ish marketing approaches, or maybe Sony's lack of thereof.

FidelityFX on both consoles is a prime example of that.
On April 21 Microsoft made it to some headlines over the fact that FidelityFX was now available for the Series consoles. AMD and Microsoft did some cross-promotion around that fact, and AMD even created a dedicated page for Xbox on their GPUOpen page.

But 3 days before that, a PS5 demo for Resident Evil 8 was released to the public that casually mentioned FidelityFX in the credits, meaning those tools have had to be available for the PS5 a lot earlier (it's not even a 1st party studio). And Sony didn't say anything about it.

The only RDNA 2 PC feature that is absent on the Series consoles is the L3 cache. And it is there primarily to augment the bandwidth of the main memory.
Perhaps you meant effective total bandwidth? To be pedantic, the main memory's bandwidth doesn't change.

That said, this is the B3D console sub-forums we're talking about -- I feel like most of the reason they were introduced was just to filter it out of the main forum.
The Architecture&Products sub is substantially worse in this respect IMO. Right now it feels like a RTX+DLSS promotion scheme in anything but name. I gradually gave up posting there as discussions leading up to nvidia's RT superiority and DLSS seem like roads to Rome on all threads. It seems I'm not the only one as that sub which was once the most active in the forum seems to have very little activity nowadays.
Though I concede that it's something extremely hard to moderate, as it's difficult to distinguish between a (official or not) marketing agent and someone genuinely interested in talking about those features.

It's not THAT bad, I still don't have anyone on ignore. :p Regardless of whether I feel someone is a good contributor or not, they might at times offer some insight that I wouldn't have thought of. Additionally, even a broken clock is correct once a day (24 hour format) or twice a day (12 hour format). ;)

Regards,
SB

I'm still working that second time bro. Just give me another 20 years

The Architecture&Products sub is substantially worse in this respect IMO

Yeah, I'll concede that the gap between the main forums and here has dramatically changed over the last couple decades. This sub used to feel like an entirely different community, people were literally arguing based on how pretty they thought Rogue Leader was. The main forum feels like it's mostly dried up, granted the discussion topics that were there are diffused across a bunch of sub-forums now.

As much as I like the prospect of DLSS, the DL black-box nature of it leaves very little room to unpack and discuss it (regardless of whether or not it's open source.) It's almost impossible to talk about anything that doesn't operate on a clearly articulated and predictable heuristic, and I suspect those methods are going to be the most fruitful in the future whether it be screen-space TAA-style reconstruction or some kind of DL-infused version of MLT monte carlo to better allocate the limited ray budget. Rasterization and RT have both had decades of R&D devoted to finding shortcuts to extracting useful information from limited sampling, so there's a lot of reason to be pessimistic that new methods via traditional means will suddenly pop up.

Yeah, I'll concede that the gap between the main forums and here has dramatically changed over the last couple decades. This sub used to feel like an entirely different community, people were literally arguing based on how pretty they thought Rogue Leader was. The main forum feels like it's mostly dried up, granted the discussion topics that were there are diffused across a bunch of sub-forums now.

As much as I like the prospect of DLSS, the DL black-box nature of it leaves very little room to unpack and discuss it (regardless of whether or not it's open source.) It's almost impossible to talk about anything that doesn't operate on a clearly articulated and predictable heuristic, and I suspect those methods are going to be the most fruitful in the future whether it be screen-space TAA-style reconstruction or some kind of DL-infused version of MLT monte carlo to better allocate the limited ray budget. Rasterization and RT have both had decades of R&D devoted to finding shortcuts to extracting useful information from limited sampling, so there's a lot of reason to be pessimistic that new methods via traditional means will suddenly pop up.

back in the day this main site was different , its been like a decade since its been updated. There also used to be multiple different gpu architecture released a year. Now we are lucky to get 2.

Generally if anything playstation is involved, be it the gpu forums or console, its bound to get messy.
Besides the ignore button, theres also a report one.

Back