Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Something weird happened today.

My Standard PS5 crashed on Demon’s Souls, second time in two days, which is fine considering how quick I was back in the game.

Much more worrying was our Digital PS5 today completely crashed, turned itself off and wouldn’t turn on again until we physically unplugged it from the mains and plugged it back on. This was while playing Miles Morales.

Anxiety turned up to 11.

I've encountered my first annoying bug; I have bought a 5TB externa HD to put my fave PS4 game on, when I first plugged the drive in I was asked to format it which took no time at all (suspicious in itself). Then it wouldn't display any info about the external drive and also not list the content of the internal drive. So I thought I'd restart to see if that helped. So then it just got stuck trying to restart so I bit the bullet and forced it to shut down by holding down the power button. Switched it back on and it had to re-build the db etc. And then it recognized the external drive and all was good. Transferred Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, Days Gone, Warframe, and a few others. But the issue I have now is that it can't update the games on the external hard drive. It downloads the update and then fails to copy them.

I'm going to try copy a game back to the internal drive and try updating it there to see if that works. Has anyone else had any issued with external drives. I'm wondering if it is the drive I'm using? Its a WD 5TB Elements.

I'm using a 2tb mx500 ssd, and no problem so far. But I'm using the a usb A port on the back, not on the front. Don't know of this make a diff.

Something weird happened today.

My Standard PS5 crashed on Demon’s Souls, second time in two days, which is fine considering how quick I was back in the game.

Much more worrying was our Digital PS5 today completely crashed, turned itself off and wouldn’t turn on again until we physically unplugged it from the mains and plugged it back on. This was while playing Miles Morales.

Anxiety turned up to 11.
Any USB drive attached? The current thought seems to be the USB drives breaking the PS5 (well causing crashes). Had a few minor crashes then a big one yesterday where I was genuinely crapping myself- since unplugging the USB drive we’ve had hours of uninterrupted kids playing Demon Souls and SM:MM (literally- son up all night and for ~6hours solid today)- I even managed a sneaky 30 mins of Astro and (touch wood) it’s been solid.

Any USB drive attached? The current thought seems to be the USB drives breaking the PS5 (well causing crashes). Had a few minor crashes then a big one yesterday where I was genuinely crapping myself- since unplugging the USB drive we’ve had hours of uninterrupted kids playing Demon Souls and SM:MM (literally- son up all night and for ~6hours solid today)- I even managed a sneaky 30 mins of Astro and (touch wood) it’s been solid.

Nope nothing attached! Weird, may just be teething.

I've put a fair few hours into Valhalla, using rest mode, and have only had the USB glitch.

I think they have an issue with with their network stack, whatever they are using, though it's probably sockets . Seems that some people have resolved these issues by unplugging usb drives and swapping to WiFi only. Mind you WiFi 6 is almost as good as Lan anyway.

I'm going to try copy a game back to the internal drive and try updating it there to see if that works. Has anyone else had any issued with external drives. I'm wondering if it is the drive I'm using? Its a WD 5TB Elements.
Some folks on resetera are having varied issues some some drives, others not. I'm using a 4Tb Samsung 870 QVO and all is well. I've copied plenty of data to and from it, installed PS4 games downloaded on PS5 to it, run PS4 games from it and had a few PS4 games update on it while in rest mode.

This is a widely-reported bug, Miles Morales has been hard crashing consoles since launch. :yep2:

Some folks pm resetera are having varied issues some some drives, others not. I'm using a 4Tb Samsung 870 QVO and all is well. I've copied plenty of data to and from it, installed PS4 games downloaded on PS5 to it, run PS4 games from it and had a few PS4 games update on it while in rest mode.
Have you closed games after leaving them or have you left them suspended?

I safely removed the USB drive. Restarted the PS5 and then plugged the USB back in. Days Gone had... Gone and Ghost of Tsushima lost its icon and have no option to start. Checked storage and sure enough both games were Mia. The games I downloaded are still there and work. So I've put the disc in and installed from there. Now downloading the update.

If that works then the issue is with the network transfer from PS4 to PS5. It's says it's transferring them but either isn't or they are getting corrupted. I'm going to run it through wireshark tomorrow and watch what's happening.

*Installing it from disc worked fine, updates and all. So it's either the network stack that's borked or the data management code. But it means that I just have to install my PS4 games from disc and then update them to make this work. So happy that I bought everything on disc now :)

I had that the PS5 did not come out of rest mode, I think I had a game suspended. Also I might have pressed the PS button on the controller to start it up again before it finished going into rest mode. Had to unplug the power to get it to boot again, power on button had no effect. It rebuilt the DB and things seem ok.
Another issue I have, is that I am unable to download anything PS4 game saves from PS+. It just says something went wrong, which is also the error message I get in Ghost of Tsushima once in while. Seems like its not able to connect to the server or something.

//Edit a proper turn of PS5 and then turn on again, instead of rest mode fixed the PS+ cloud save download issue.

Last edited:
I safely removed the USB drive. Restarted the PS5 and then plugged the USB back in. Days Gone had... Gone and Ghost of Tsushima lost its icon and have no option to start. Checked storage and sure enough both games were Mia. The games I downloaded are still there and work. So I've put the disc in and installed from there. Now downloading the update.

If that works then the issue is with the network transfer from PS4 to PS5. It's says it's transferring them but either isn't or they are getting corrupted. I'm going to run it through wireshark tomorrow and watch what's happening.

*Installing it from disc worked fine, updates and all. So it's either the network stack that's borked or the data management code. But it means that I just have to install my PS4 games from disc and then update them to make this work. So happy that I bought everything on disc now :)
The console cant transfer with direct ethernet connection between the 2?

Last edited:
Sounds like poor thermal dissipation design around the memory modules (bottom), which can potentially affect the long-term performance (health) of those chips. Removing those fugly sides can help reduce thermals slightly.

Its perplexing to me how you can have such a large console and still have some thermal issues , Hopefully they re visit when the add on ssds are announced and supported. I have a feeling they are going to get cooked in there

Its perplexing to me how you can have such a large console and still have some thermal issues

A bit of caveat is needed, we have no idea what those memory modules are thermally rated for. But generally speaking, I agree with your overall assessment.

Hopefully they re visit when the add on ssds are announced and supported. I have a feeling they are going to get cooked in there

NVMe/SSD modules actually work well in high-temps and have greater lifespans under such conditions.

Last edited:
Its perplexing to me how you can have such a large console and still have some thermal issues , Hopefully they re visit when the add on ssds are announced and supported. I have a feeling they are going to get cooked in there
I am beginning to feel insecure with my PS5 order

A bit of caveat is needed, we have no idea what those memory modules are thermally rated for. But generally speaking, I agree with your overall assessment.

NVMe/SSD modules actually work well in high-temps and have greater lifespans under such conditions.

We don't know what its rated for but think of this way. This is the best temps the memory will ever get. As time goes dust builds up and power supplies don't work as well and so on and so forth.

Nand works well in high temps but i have a feeling this is going to be really high temps. There seems to be very little air flow if any at all. Thats a far cry from a pc where it gets some air moving over it from case fans

Its just odd that they have a huge console and this was the best cooling they could come up with. I dunno just seems odd.

I am beginning to feel insecure with my PS5 order

I'm sure you will be fine. I recommend a warranty from the console manufacturer if your able to get it or just buy it from costco.

If so, let me know via PM.

lol

Back