Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MS FS 2020) [PC, XGP-PC]

All the more reason to use Xbox Game Pass for PC to get 1 month for $1 to try this out.

game is worth the $1 . I loved the beta but right now there is a bug with windows build 20190 and the retail release wont download. So i'm sitting it out for a few days to see if they push an update on either end

To those who like flight sims
Lock on Modern Air Combat is now £1.07 on the ubi store
6 planes, a mission editor, even an easy mode (if you want it)

I got game pass for $1 for a month and am installing Flight Simulator 2020 to an external SSD now.

Installation seemed quite smooth quick and modern until it started installing recommended content. Those 90GB is insanely slow compared to the initial install of about the same size which was over in a few short minutes.

Last edited:
Those 90GB is insanely slow compared to the initial install of about the same size which was over in a few short minutes.
That's your hint. The initial install which was showing as xx GB wasn't large at all but only a couple of GB.

Anyone tried the SDK and able to import the samples?

I followed the SDK tutorial exactly, have tried 3 times, no error shown on console.

Actually console log was weird, it says

Code:
PackageBuilder | Reading C:\MSFS SDK\Samples\SimpleAerial\SimpleAerialProject.xml...
PackageBuilder | Preparing asset groups...
PackageBuilder | Done, 2 asset groups registered.
PackageBuilder | Ready, 0 commands added.
PackageBuilder | Starting the build...
PackageBuilder | Finished, 0 skipped, 0 done and 0 failed, took 0s001ms.

0 skipped, 0 done, 0 failed.

ZERO done. Teleported to the modded area, nothing changes. Despite the SDK documentation showed that the ground should be peppered with FS2020 logo.

I already have photogrammetry models, high resolution imagery. I also have converted the high resolution imagery to quadkey tiles. Wanna put them into FS2020.

thank you

In maybe ten years from now, with all the advancements in AI and procedural rendering, one could imagine a GTA 7 with all story missions etc... pre-created, and then adapted to whatever google maps style maps the player would choose. Imagine a whole GTA game happening in your city of choice around the world, dynamically adapting to the terrain, and with photorealistic graphics.

Anybody having this issue?

LOL

Glad I'm console-only.

Tommy McClain

there are a bunch of perf bugs in FS2020. A lot of them have workaround tho
  1. exit and open fs2020 again
  2. move in-game windows outside of game windows (yes it is weird)
  3. disable in-game framerate limiter and use driver framerate limiter (capping to 30 in game = 20 fps gameplay, capping to 20 =.... dunno, 7 fps like his tweet?)
unfortunately some things are too buggy, and i still cant make the aerial imagery SDK to work at all

btw there;s internal perf monitor to see you are CPU or GPU bottlenecked, how many VRAM and sysram used, etc

Last edited:
The additional files (it said it was mostly radio tower files) install took hours and was very inefficient.

So I have been flying around a bit over my own city and I’m generally quite happy with the graphics and performance. I have a 3rd gen i7 (3770 vpro I think) with 16GB RAM and a 970 GTX, and installed the game on an external SSD. I think my USB isn’t the fastest though, and load times could be a bit faster but it’s ok.

My PC must be about one year older than when I got the 970GTX. Looking at the release date of that i7 I probably got my PC in 2013 ... so that is 7 years old. [emoji28]

(didn’t bother yet trying to find out if the screen recording options still work, haven’t tried that since I got my graphics card).

EDIT: also if this is based on Bing Maps, I can tell that the maps of my city are quite out of date, 4-6 years old or something? The highway through the city is a tunnel now.

And none of the prominent buildings look like their real life counterpart and the most prominent ones here which are the many churches, are not there at all. So some room for improvement ;). Still I can fly over the city and navigate by my real life knowledge of where things are so that’s still cool and the graphics are very nice nonetheless.

Last edited:
Anybody having this issue?

LOL

Glad I'm console-only.

Tommy McClain
That was actually quite funny
I would love to try this out, but even with my better than normal PC, it will look pretty shit

Whats creating the slowdown?

Theres bugger all AI,physics etc so CPU shouldnt be working that hard

GPU apart from the clouds, nothing would be quite super taxing

Im guessing its the streaming from the net all the data, and then decompressing it? I guess they want the best compression out there as running this can be super expensive for MS, as ppl most likely will be flying all over the place thus they cant just download part and then cache that, but will have to continuously download data

That was actually quite funny
I would love to try this out, but even with my better than normal PC, it will look pretty shit

Whats creating the slowdown?

Theres bugger all AI,physics etc so CPU shouldnt be working that hard

GPU apart from the clouds, nothing would be quite super taxing

Im guessing its the streaming from the net all the data, and then decompressing it? I guess they want the best compression out there as running this can be super expensive for MS, as ppl most likely will be flying all over the place thus they cant just download part and then cache that, but will have to continuously download data

there's manual caching on the option to avoid on-the-fly caching. You mark chunks of maps and it'll be pre-cached.

as for whats eating CPU, IIRC its only the things related to terrain and AI. so only 3-4 options.

there are a bunch of perf bugs in FS2020. A lot of them have workaround tho
  1. exit and open fs2020 again
  2. move in-game windows outside of game windows (yes it is weird)
  3. disable in-game framerate limiter and use driver framerate limiter (capping to 30 in game = 20 fps gameplay, capping to 20 =.... dunno, 7 fps like his tweet?)
unfortunately some things are too buggy, and i still cant make the aerial imagery SDK to work at all

btw there;s internal perf monitor to see you are CPU or GPU bottlenecked, how many VRAM and sysram used, etc

always always use nVidia Control Panel framerate limiter, perfect frametime, it's soooo good. With that even bad framerates like 30fps are super stable at least. 60fps with perfect frametime is superb. I've limited most of my games -those where 165fps wont do much for the experience except using a lot of cpu and gpu cycles-

The additional files (it said it was mostly radio tower files) install took hours and was very inefficient.

So I have been flying around a bit over my own city and I’m generally quite happy with the graphics and performance. I have a 3rd gen i7 (3770 vpro I think) with 16GB RAM and a 970 GTX, and installed the game on an external SSD. I think my USB isn’t the fastest though, and load times could be a bit faster but it’s ok.

My PC must be about one year older than when I got the 970GTX. Looking at the release date of that i7 I probably got my PC in 2013 ... so that is 7 years old. [emoji28]

(didn’t bother yet trying to find out if the screen recording options still work, haven’t tried that since I got my graphics card).

EDIT: also if this is based on Bing Maps, I can tell that the maps of my city are quite out of date, 4-6 years old or something? The highway through the city is a tunnel now.

And none of the prominent buildings look like their real life counterpart and the most prominent ones here which are the many churches, are not there at all. So some room for improvement ;). Still I can fly over the city and navigate by my real life knowledge of where things are so that’s still cool and the graphics are very nice nonetheless.
yup, some cities and places are a lot more detailed than others. The developers said that full development of the game is going to take some extra years. Also some professional pilots are giving feedback 'cos some planes, while very close to the real ones, still need some little tweaks.

The framerate seems to be decent. How many fps do you get and at which settings?

I have taken the defaults it has given me, which I think is medium everything.

It defaulted to High for me on my 2600X+1080. Runs quite well, haven't had any noticeable issues with framerate.

review bombing of this game is awful. The game could go unnoticed but it unintentionally hit where it hurts, the AAA little console exclusives, 'cos it got great reviews and good graphics -typical of bought off reviews- and people are all over the place trying to score the game with a 0. Btw, I finally managed to install the game! The installer is horrible, at least for me.

XyAgLZK.jpg

That looks graphically really nice.
where is that? I assume a real place, A dam above a city (if thats the case) is just asking for trouble though
Im very tempted to get, I will have to check out how it will run though

the game defaults me in ULTRA hahahaha

but i toned it down to high at 70% 4K capped at 30fps.
Ryzen 2600
GTX 1660 Super.

btw the game have issues for high quality terrain.
Despite bing maps quadkey tile system allows max zoom 23, MSFS2020 SDK will only loads custom aerial imagery with zoom 20. Resulting in..... uh... terrain that looks like this

(near the end of video, i loaded zoom 20 terrain.)

Bing maps documentation: docs.microsoft.com/en-us/bingmaps/articles/bing-maps-tile-system

The installer is horrible, at least for me.

its horrible for everyone (or at least, for most people)

• gamepass user only preloads 12MB installer that doesnt work. Reinstalling from gamepass, it redownloads 90MB (or 900MB?) installer that works
  • the game downloads from launcher, resulting in it automatically exceeding steam auto refund granted policy limit (2 hours play time). So you need to manually contact steam for refunds
  • after the game is installed, the launcher's initial loading only loads for useless "attract/highlight" scene that runs in real time i think.
  • After that "attract/highlight" scene was skipped with a button press, LOADING SCREEN again for main menu with fancy 3D background
  • select a location and depart and LOADING again.
fortunately after departing, you can go to anywhere in the world with zero loading :D (see my video above)

btw im using SHDD, i wonder how long it loads using HDD O_O

Back