Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MS FS 2020) [PC, XGP-PC]

A standard T1600.m with that throttle would be awesome for flying in games like DCS World , do you also have the throttle does the throttle plug into the stick (or vice versa)
like my T.Flight Hotas X and X52 or do they both have separate usb connections?
ps: the trottle is £90 if you want one

Last edited:
So both df and ars says that fs20 are heavy on CPU. Seems to be this is a true next gen game, where the dev can raise their lowest bar from the anemic jaguars.

Now I need to clean up my F drive... That 12 MB preload.. Hahah.

I think what they've said is that it _can_ be heavy on CPU but generally it isn't, and that's been my experience (i7 9700K) and it can challenge my GPU (1080Ti) too sometimes. I have yet to find a location which is catastrophic performance-wise, but then again the Earth is a big planet. Generally I get acceptable frame rates at max settings, 3840x1600.

That said this is not a twitch game, so bear that in mind. It's the kind of game where consistent fps is more important than max fps.

Craziest shit I've seen.

Wow. Petabytes of data. Basically not even remotely possible to do something like this at this fidelity with this amount of detail without the cloud.

Add to that the real time streaming of real world data (like the flight paths of other planes, weather, etc.) just is insane.

And then the actual rendering that is done on the local machine is just insane as well. Those clouds...those gorgeous clouds with self shadowing and shadowing on other clouds and the world and planes and... It's all so insane.

Not only is it good to see that the developers were this ambitious at creating an incredibly detailed flight simulation, but that they appeared to have succeeded for the most part with those lofty aspirations.

Absolutely amazing stuff.

Regards,
SB

the ground details are from bing maps right? so you can check out your local area will be awesome on FS20 or not by visiting it thru https://www.bing.com/maps

if your area got the isometric view mode, i suppose it will have awesome low-alt detail in FS20. as for the sats imagery itself, its inconsistent. Some places will have crazy details while some others are not.

Isometric view https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=8691...6&lvl=21&dir=180&style=g&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

btw anyonw know how to switch back and forth between sats and iso on bing maps? i cant find the button at all.

EDIT: found it, go to your location of interest on bing maps. Switch to satelite view. zoom in and See how good/bad it is.

RIGHT CLICK on the map and select Bird's Eye View to switch to Isometric, and it'll be even more detailed.

that's improved leaps and bounds over the last two years. Each time they get new data it looks amazing.
my city still as flat as washboard hahaha.

i wonder if i can mod my own 3D map into google earth. A few result of my low-alt aerial imagery to 3D

I could plop them to Unreal Engine and view them in VR, but its waaaay too laggy unless i split them into small chunks. Hmm, now im even more curious with FS20 SDK... can i just plop the GeoTIFF into it and it'll automatically make the multi resolution LOD? can simply i plop a KMZ or something into it? Hopefully i dont need to put the model of each buildings one by one...

The scenery is based on data from Bing maps, but it's not just Bing maps.

I think there have been some comparisons between the Bing maps and FS2020 renditions of some of the locations in the screenshots released over the past few months, they show that the FS2020 scenery is enhanced over plain Bing maps.

Asobo are using various AI-based techniques to augment the basic mapping data, particularly where Bing doesn't have true 3D photogrammetry. They've made a big thing of this in some of the progress videos released a few months ago. I guess that's what makes this game such a poster child for Azure and the cloud in general, you take mind-boggling quantities of mapping data, then throw massive amounts of compute power and sophisticated ML algorithms at it to make it look "better".

I've flown around my own city, for which the Bing maps coverage is a bit sketchy. My house doesn't exactly look like my house, but it's in the right place and doesn't look wildly wrong.

BTW (apologies for the double-post but this is a different topic from the mapping) regarding the performance and frame-rates I was talking about above. Obviously when VR support arrives later in the year then frame rate will be much more of an issue. I do wonder whether that's the reason why VR isn't in at launch, because they know the experience will be vomit-inducing and need time to work on tailoring various elements of the engine to match the requirements of VR headsets.

I also wonder if they're doing any fill-in AI work on the buildings where it takes sample imagery from similar building photos (size, color, style, geographical location) and uses those to recreate a better version of it.

Back