IHV Preferences, Performance over Quality? *Spawn*

Maybe I should just make a new post on the idiocy of NVidia.

I just put the 1070 back in because a friend of mine is going to lend me his Oculus Rift for a little bit since it's just been gathering dust over at his house. And I'm immediately reminded of all the idiotic things about this card.

Like, for instance, what idiot at NVidia thought it would be a good idea to not show the bootup POST process on a DP monitor if another monitor is connected? My main monitor is hooked up through DP and my secondary monitor (in portrait mode) is hooked up through DVI. That makes it a bit of a pain if I ever need to go into the BIOS for any reason, which thankfully isn't that often.

Also, for some reason that only god knows. It prevents the machine from booting into Windows if I hate a ESATA drive hooked up and powered up. Everything boots up just fine until you're supposed to see the Windows log in screen, at that point it just happily sits there showing a black screen. But only if the 1070 is installed with an eSATA drive hooked up and powered on. WHAT????? So, evertime I boot with the 1070, I have to turn off my external drive? Ugh. I'm guessing this is some other idiocy with the NVidia driver that also for some reason wants to tinker with my Ethernet connection as well as Windows Explorer.

On the plus side, it appears the latest driver for the 1070 appears to have fixed the issue with seeing my glowing eyes through the back of my head in GW2.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Like, for instance, what idiot at NVidia thought it would be a good idea to not show the bootup POST process on a DP monitor if another monitor is connected? My main monitor is hooked up through DP and my secondary monitor (in portrait mode) is hooked up through DVI. That makes it a bit of a pain if I ever need to go into the BIOS for any reason, which thankfully isn't that often.
No issues here displaying bootup POST process on DP monitor connected as primary and another through HDMI. I believe std. bios port boot order is DVI > HDMI > Displayport (newer motherboards/bios may use different order) ... check if you have DVI-I or DVI-D ports. If you use DVI-D, HDMI or Displayport should boot first. Initially boot w/o DVI, connect in Win then reboot.

Last edited:
No issues here displaying bootup POST process on DP monitor connected as primary and another through HDMI. I believe std. bios port boot order is DVI > HDMI > Displayport (newer motherboards/bios may use different order) ... check if you have DVI-I or DVI-D ports. If you use DVI-D, HDMI or Displayport should boot first. Initially boot w/o DVI, connect in Win then reboot.

Yes, but I expected it to operate like the 290 that I have. The DVI boots up first. Then the DP is initialized and shows. Instead, the DVI initializes just fine, and then DP monitor just stays blank until Windows boots up and is ready to display the login screen. At this point the DP monitor shows the login screen and it blanks the DVI monitor.

That was an even bigger problem since having the eSATA drive hooked up and powered on meant that it just sat there at a black screen and I had no idea whether it was hung or what (Windows had blanked the DVI screen in preparation for displaying the Login screen). I went away and came back 10 minutes later to it still being a black screen with no way to log in. I ended up having to hard power off the computer (not something I like to do), power off the eSATA drive, turn the computer back on and then thankfully everything worked correctly. Well, with the exception of the DP monitor not showing anything until Windows was fully booted.

Regards,
SB

I have the opposite problem. My main desktop display is DVI and my secondary display is HDMI and my 1070 uses the HDMI display for booting. It always annoys me when i need to go into bios because i first must pause the tv show or video playing on the 54" plasma, switch the receiver to desktop input, then reboot again because the pc already passed bios loading prompts, then go into bios to make any changes.

I have the opposite problem. My main desktop display is DVI and my secondary display is HDMI and my 1070 uses the HDMI display for booting. It always annoys me when i need to go into bios because i first must pause the tv show or video playing on the 54" plasma, switch the receiver to desktop input, then reboot again because the pc already passed bios loading prompts, then gominto bios to make any changes.

Yup if I need to go into the BIOS I need to either remember to turn off my DVI display or read the BIOS sideways (portrait orientation) since it will not display the BIOS on the DP monitor as long as the other monitor is connected and on.

I really hate whatever idiot thought that was a good idea instead of just displaying it on all monitors. And here I used to be annoyed that when I had 3 monitors connected to an AMD card, it would only show POST/BIOS on 2 of the 3 monitors. But it was easy to ensure that the main display always showed POST/BIOS.

Regards,
SB

@#$%@%#@#$@%@#$!%^^&$&$@#$%

OMG, I'm so pissed off right now. I've lost an hours work because of the shite NVidia driver for the 1070. I've run into an issue that exists, apparently with the NVidia driver and Microsoft Edge (been forcing myself to use it to see if I can get used to its limitations).

After swapping back in the 1070, I've now had an issue where after a certain amount of time the entire browser window and all tabs within it will just get shut down and the browser window restarted. The first time it happened, I thought maybe it's a fluke. But now it's happened again.

I tend to do a lot of research on the web, so I'll do searches, then put aside articles in tabs to either go over more full at a later time, or save in order to pull statistics from them when I write an article or paper. Worked perfectly fine with the R9 290 in the machine with browser remaining stable and tabs staying for days at a time.

The @#%@#$ing 1070 can't even go 2-3 hours with this workload without crapping out. Now I have to @#$%$ing try to retrace my steps in an attempt to get the articles I had put aside. Note that in an hours time I can skim through up to a hundred articles all on different sites. This is going to be so much "fun" (puke) to try to get back.

I'm guessing that the 1070 is hitting it's memory limit and then with Edge it just ejects the whole thing somehow forcing the browser itself to reset the current window. It doesn't force reset background windows fortunately, so I haven't lost ALL of my work, only a significant chunk of it.

And the cherry on the cake? That was only a combined 8 tabs (though the browsing history probably contained close to 100-150 closed tabs). Since I've been back, I've had Edge open for days on the R9 290 with well over 20-30 tabs open for days as I did my research. @#%@#%@#

What a piece of poo. I'm so angry right now. At both NVidia for the crap driver and Microsoft for having a browser where that can actually happen.

Regards,
SB

I don't have Win 10 installed but they should have something similar to the Win 7 "Event Viewer" that might be helpful in identifying error prone applications.

Oh and I figured out how I can manually trigger the NVidia driver for some god awful reason to restart explorer.exe.

If for any reason, I unplug my Ethernet cable so that internet is then routed through my wireless connection. Then start a download through my wireless connection. Then reconnect my Ethernet cable, it'll freak out and restart explorer.exe as well as shutting down 1 window (leaves the other ones alone) of Edge and all tabs and restarting it as well. I do this because while my internet connection through Ethernet is metered (data cap) my wireless connection which is much much slower isn't metered.

I only just discovered this as it happened just now as I did it again. I hadn't connected the actions to this previously because it didn't freak out like this with the AMD card installed.

WTF? WTF, is the NVidia driver doing F-ing with that stuff?

Next time I need to do this, I'm going to try shutting down Edge first and see if that'll make the #$@%ing NVidia driver happy.

And happy days, it also makes remote desktop unresponsive until you restart it. Joy.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the 1070 is hitting it's memory limit and then with Edge it just ejects the whole thing
I honestly don't think so, I use 3 browsers simultaneously, Chrome, FireFox and Edge. Each with at least 6-9 tabs per browser, I also use Edge for video heavy sessions, that means 10+ flash and video heavy tabs, the worst thing that ever happened to me is FireFox lagging in response. But that has been the hallmark for FireFox since long time ago (it hates tabs that stay for more than 24 hours, especially if they have video).

If for any reason, I unplug my Ethernet cable so that internet is then routed through my wireless connection. Then start a download through my wireless connection. Then reconnect my Ethernet cable, it'll freak out and restart explorer.exe as well as shutting down 1 window (leaves the other ones alone) of Edge and all tabs and restarting it as well. I do this because while my internet connection through Ethernet is metered (data cap) my wireless connection which is much much slower isn't metered.
Man, that is some bat shit crazy level of complexity you have there! :D

Yeah I run a DP + DVI setup and the DVI is active during boot. I do suspect it's BIOS related. My board is a Z68 and barely supports EFI. Etc.

SB you seem to run into some crazy problems. :) I use Firefox, Chrome and Edge and haven't seen anything strange. I suspect I'm not as much of a browser "power user" though.

I only just discovered this as it happened just now as I did it again. I hadn't connected the actions to this previously because it didn't freak out like this with the AMD card installed.

WTF? WTF, is the NVidia driver doing F-ing with that stuff?

Next time I need to do this, I'm going to try shutting down Edge first and see if that'll make the #$@%ing NVidia driver happy.

And happy days, it also makes remote desktop unresponsive until you restart it. Joy.

Regards,
SB
Was you using Edge a lot in the past with your AMD card as well?
Curious if it is just Nvidia or more to do with Edge and associated extensions/functions.
I am assuming you have just installed the driver without GFE, probably quite important.
Thanks

Intel Celeron/Pentium/Core i3/i5/i7 - NVIDIA vs. AMD Linux Gaming Performance
Five AMD/NVIDIA graphics cards tested on five different Intel Kabylake processors from a low-end $40 Celeron CPU to a high-end Core i7 7700K is the focus of today's Linux benchmarking. Various OpenGL and Vulkan Linux gaming benchmarks were run to see how the RadeonSI and NVIDIA Linux performance evolves from a Celeron G3930 to Pentium G4600 to Core i3 7100 to Core i5 7600K to Core i7 7700K.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=kbl-5cpu-5gpu&num=1

Was you using Edge a lot in the past with your AMD card as well?
Curious if it is just Nvidia or more to do with Edge and associated extensions/functions.
I am assuming you have just installed the driver without GFE, probably quite important.
Thanks

Yes, I got back to the US on Jan. 30th. I've been forcing myself to use Edge as my primary browser since then to see if I can get used to it in my workflow. I didn't put the 1070 back into my main machine until the 5th or 6th of Feb. It took less than a day to start running into issues with the 1070 that I didn't have with the 290.

I've since run into more issues. There are times when it makes Chrome unresponsive until you end task and restart it. There are times after extended usage that Chrome will run out of memory and unload tabs with an out of memory message. When this happens, if I'm watching a video VOD or live stream in a tab in Chrome, that tab will pause, go unresponsive and then eventually reload. Opening new links in tabs becomes very sluggish, sometimes taking a few seconds before a new tab will appear with the link versus happening almost instantaneously. These things don't happen with the 290 or to a much lesser degree (tab opening when system is loaded). And the crazy thing here is that the 1070 has a lot more memory than the 290!!!

I should look into how to disable GPU acceleration in browsers to see if that helps the situation with the 1070, although I'm not sure how that would impact GPU memory usage.

I can have less applications in total running while playing games if I want the system to remain responsive and there not to be an overly large performance impact on the games I play. This seems to suggest that NVidia does a much worse job with CPU load if there are many applications running. When I say many applications this'll be something like a few explorer folders open, Edge and Chrome with multiple tabs in each. And since I like clicker/idle games (like Clicker Heroes and Crusaders of the Lost Idols), I have those running most of the time. Have noticed this in all the games I've been playing (GW2, Warframe, Diablo 3, StarCraft 2) since I got back. I swapped the 290 back in briefly just to see if I was imagining things, I wasn't.

However, if the system isn't loaded down with as much stuff (close everything except maybe one browser) then the 1070 runs quite well. But once I start loading down the system with stuff, performance starts to be impact greatly much sooner than with the 290. As well, while the 290 is impacted once both CPU and memory are loaded, it isn't affected as catastrophically as the 1070 is.

All of this means that it's quite tempting to do as AIStrong suggested in the previous thread before the split. To make a separate machine. One for gaming with the 1070 in demanding games, because that's all it's @#$#ing good for with my usage patterns, and one for serious work and less demanding games with the 290. Except the 290 I have is so loud that I'm not keen on that idea. I wish I could borrow a Rx480 from someone to see if it's as stable as the 290 for my usage patterns. Then again having to switch between machines is less than optimal. Bleh.

Regards,
SB

Yes, I got back to the US on Jan. 30th. I've been forcing myself to use Edge as my primary browser since then to see if I can get used to it in my workflow. I didn't put the 1070 back into my main machine until the 5th or 6th of Feb. It took less than a day to start running into issues with the 1070 that I didn't have with the 290.

I've since run into more issues. There are times when it makes Chrome unresponsive until you end task and restart it. There are times after extended usage that Chrome will run out of memory and unload tabs with an out of memory message. When this happens, if I'm watching a video VOD or live stream in a tab in Chrome, that tab will pause, go unresponsive and then eventually reload. Opening new links in tabs becomes very sluggish, sometimes taking a few seconds before a new tab will appear with the link versus happening almost instantaneously. These things don't happen with the 290 or to a much lesser degree (tab opening when system is loaded). And the crazy thing here is that the 1070 has a lot more memory than the 290!!!

I should look into how to disable GPU acceleration in browsers to see if that helps the situation with the 1070, although I'm not sure how that would impact GPU memory usage.

I can have less applications in total running while playing games if I want the system to remain responsive and there not to be an overly large performance impact on the games I play. This seems to suggest that NVidia does a much worse job with CPU load if there are many applications running. When I say many applications this'll be something like a few explorer folders open, Edge and Chrome with multiple tabs in each. And since I like clicker/idle games (like Clicker Heroes and Crusaders of the Lost Idols), I have those running most of the time. Have noticed this in all the games I've been playing (GW2, Warframe, Diablo 3, StarCraft 2) since I got back. I swapped the 290 back in briefly just to see if I was imagining things, I wasn't.

However, if the system isn't loaded down with as much stuff (close everything except maybe one browser) then the 1070 runs quite well. But once I start loading down the system with stuff, performance starts to be impact greatly much sooner than with the 290. As well, while the 290 is impacted once both CPU and memory are loaded, it isn't affected as catastrophically as the 1070 is.

All of this means that it's quite tempting to do as AIStrong suggested in the previous thread before the split. To make a separate machine. One for gaming with the 1070 in demanding games, because that's all it's @#$#ing good for with my usage patterns, and one for serious work and less demanding games with the 290. Except the 290 I have is so loud that I'm not keen on that idea. I wish I could borrow a Rx480 from someone to see if it's as stable as the 290 for my usage patterns. Then again having to switch between machines is less than optimal. Bleh.

Regards,
SB
Definite head scratcher and a right pain for you :(
Maybe something with the hardware acceleration, as seems hinting at with browsers experience.
Just curious do you OC the GPU in any way, for both/either core and memory?
Also which AIB 1070 model or FE?
Sorry for the questions as I appreciate your probably fed up by now with the 1070 but may help with some quick and dirty tests.
Cheers

Last edited:
Definite head scratcher and a right pain for you :(
Maybe something with the hardware acceleration, as seems hinting at with browsers experience.
Just curious do you OC the GPU in any way, for both/either core and memory?
Also which AIB 1070 model or FE?
Sorry for the questions as I appreciate your probably fed up by now with the 1070 but may help with some quick and dirty tests.
Cheers

I haven't bothered with overclocking GPUs since the Radeon 9700 Pro. So it's running at stock speed. The one I'm using right now is the Asus model with the blower cooler. I've also swapped in the MSI model with blower cooler (borrowed for a few days from a friend) to see if it was just some really weird issue with my particular card.

I've since noticed yet another issue that happens in both Edge and Chrome. After extended usage with multiple applications open, Twitch streams will eventually stop showing video until you close the browser and reopen the browser. Yet another annoyance that I didn't have to deal with on the 290. Both Edge and Chrome were open and never closed while the 290 was in from when I got back until I put in the 1070 about 5-6 days later.

What annoys me the most is that the 1070 is forcing me to adjust how I use my computer and how I do work on my computer in order to not have things go very very wrong. The 290 and most of my past video cards just let me use my computer however I wanted.

It does make me wonder if some people that hate Windows 10 so much, hate it because the NVidia driver in Windows 10 is so absolutely crap. Total Biscuit, with dual Titan X Pascals, has constant issues in Windows 10. Prior to using the 1070, I couldn't understand why people didn't like Windows 10 so much (beyond the UI design choices that I don't like) as my experience with the 290 was relatively flawless and bug free. Since putting in the 1070, however, my experience with Windows 10 is the exact polar opposite, it's horrible.

Regards,
SB

Oh, yeah, things keep getting better and better. Right now, no YouTube video's will play. I even installed Opera to see if they would play in that. Nope, same as Edge and Chrome. Just get the message, "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device." I'm guessing I'll have to restart the computer to get them to play. And I won't be able to restart the computer for a bit because I'm in the middle of doing work. THANK YOU NVIDIA! Gosh your drivers are so good!

And just for shits and grins, I tried Twitch. Yup, you guessed it, streams won't play, just sit there with a static image of the stream. Locally stored videos still play, albeit with a weird stuttery slow motion start, so that's something I guess.

Maybe I'll get lucky and just reinstalling the video card driver without rebooting will fix things. Grrrrrrrr.

[edit] Nope, although Twitch will at least stream now...at 1 frame per second. Ugh. Looks like computer will have to be rebooted to make the 1070 operate correctly.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Back