Ratchet and Clank [PS4]

I finally played it too.

I certainly get the hype surrounding the graphics. They are quite something special indeed. Absolutely stunning. Very impressed.

As for the framerate; I'm quite surprised it isn't a bigger issue for most people. Maybe the last R&C game has been too long ago for most, but having just played the PS3 games (and remasters) recently, I sadly can not overlook the fact that this PS4 R&C feels very different. The aiming is quite jumpy and the whole game seems to be slower paced as a result of the slower framerate. Pretty much kills the experience for me. I'm happy I didn't buy it.

Yeah like i said i didn't play previous R&C games so i didn't have anything to compare this against. Also, framerate can dip to low teens in challenge mode with all the crazy upgrades you get if you combine weapons. It's is a smooth 30 fps for most of the time though, especially on the normal playthrough.

I finally played it too.

I certainly get the hype surrounding the graphics. They are quite something special indeed. Absolutely stunning. Very impressed.

As for the framerate; I'm quite surprised it isn't a bigger issue for most people. Maybe the last R&C game has been too long ago for most, but having just played the PS3 games (and remasters) recently, I sadly can not overlook the fact that this PS4 R&C feels very different. The aiming is quite jumpy and the whole game seems to be slower paced as a result of the slower framerate. Pretty much kills the experience for me. I'm happy I didn't buy it.
Aiming? Sorry but why would you aim when most of the crazy weapons just require you to shoot something somewhere in the vicinity of the enemies, that somehow obliterates most things on screen? :p

With that in mind, the Bouncer bomb or whatever it's called was, to me, probably the most overpowered weapon before the Ryno. Especially when fully powered up. I'd throw a couple of those in the room, wait, walk in and collect bolts. Insane and somehow still fun!

Last edited:
Not all weapons have auto-aim. I think the level I played was half way through the game (I played it on my sisters account). Sure, most weapons have a huge auto-aim (or spray), but I just noted what I felt while playing it. It's a good thing there is no R&C remaster at 60fps on the PS4, so that people can't actually compare what the old games felt like to play. That being; Snappy, immediate reaction and much quicker response while turning camera (right stick), striving or moving/jumping around while avoiding shots and shooting at the same time.

I'm honestly baffled by the team to go with 30fps on this one. It transforms the game into something else. Yes, the graphics are absolutely crazy. It's certainly I think the nicest platformer/shooter I've seen so far and the framerate for me has been very consistent so far. But fun to play? Not compared to the last ones. :/

You know, some games, you (meaning *I*) play for the story and immersion. Some games you play for the gameplay, or the skill involved. I remember playing Mario on the Gameboy (which is pretty much where my gaming history starts, not counting some Amiga games before that) and the only thing I remember about gaming back then is that these types of games were attractive because of the challenge and skill involved. Sure, you had to rescue the princess. A story told in one sentence. The game was pure gameplay. Other games, like Zelda were more story orientated. Same applies today. I have no problem playing a 15fps (yes I'm exaggerating slightly) Heavy Rain because the aim and attractiveness of that game isn't ultra fast response and skill - it's the dynamic story, the decisions you take etc. Then there are other types of games, where the attractiveness is entirely found in the skill and challenging gameplay they offer. Fusion Trials is in this camp, Wipeout, beat'em ups like Tekken, shooters (especially online -> zero story there), and yes, R&C was among those too, at least for me. The story was a nice addition, sure, but it wasn't what immersed you into the game. The 95% of gameplay was. But with this 30fps R&C, they IMO just killed it and pushed the game more into the story camp games. And to adjust the gameplay to the framerate, they slowed it down (and IMO with it; dumbed it down).

On a positive note though; Mr. Zurkon still kicks ass. Best quotes ever.

"Mr. Zurkon doesn't need bolts; his currency is pain." HAHAHAHAHHHA

Okay, I finished my challenge game and that one really felt like the Ratchet and Clank I remember, I also maxed out all weapons.

All is not perfect, I am missing a weapon, and I just realized it's a pre-order bonus. I didn't preorder, so I'll never have it. I'm offering a big fucking middle-finger to the Insomniac suits who thought it was a good idea. You can clearly see it's not some DLC, it's a missing weapon, it's a hole in the weapon wheel.

To get enough money for all weapons during the second game:
1. Advance the game story after Batalia.
2. Change difficulty to Casual if necessary, you must never get hit to raise the multiplier.
3. Go back to Batalia, there's a huge staircase of crates just before you reach the cannon (change planet and come back to make it respawn). Do the easy run between the ship and the cannon a few times to reach 20x multiplier, and then it's about 150,000 per run.
4. if you're worried about losing your multiplier, copy your savegame to a usb key once in a while. (the game doesn't allow saved games, and it insta-saves which is annoying)

To max out all weapons:
1. Advance story to the Mrs Zurkon segment.
2. Light her up with the weapons that you want to level up.
3. Drop in the Abyss if she gets below 25%, reappear in front with all your ammo. Repeat.
4. Be careful not to kill her, it will insta-save.

It's not cheating. It's old school gaming!

It's actually much quicker (I tried both) to get all the way to the last boss and keep firing with a specific weapon (don't kill him!) and you'll see the XP for that weapon go up like it was nothing. Some weapons are a bit more fiddly, and you definitely can't level up the Sheepinator like that, but all the others are easy to max out like that. I did my second (third, fourth) run on hard and doing that with the last boss was much quicker than with Mrs Zurkon.

Just had some playthrough via the new patch and wow does it look nuts, no pun :). Love the new motion blur, TAA and HDR, the game looked great before but now it's on another level. God damn HDR really is a killer, at this point I don't know how much better the checkerboard 4k would add to the whole experience.
HDR on
img_2761d2ujw.jpg

So, they fixed the only visual issue in this game. Now, it's truely one of the best looking game on the market along with the Order and Uncharted 4.

Here's something I've always wondered: does Temporal SS AA improve texture sharpness at angles like aniso would, or does it not.

Just had some playthrough via the new patch and wow does it look nuts, no pun :). Love the new motion blur, TAA and HDR, the game looked great before but now it's on another level. God damn HDR really is a killer, at this point I don't know how much better the checkerboard 4k would add to the whole experience.
HDR on

It's not checkerboard it's a custom technique they call temporal injection. And it looks pretty damn good.

Back