Ratchet and Clank [PS4]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Shortbread, Sep 28, 2014.

1. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

You can also move 10m away from your screen and aliasing will be gone. :D

London Geezer and DSoup like this.
  2. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I do not understand why this game didnt get more praise. I tried it recently and the game looks so beautiful that I thought my TV was displaying HDR without even supporting HDR.
    The gameplay is also splendid
    The visuals are some of the best this generation. I cant believe how close to a pixar movie this game looks and animates. And it is super fun.
    I am pretty sure that if this was made by Nintendo and the character was Mario it would have been getting all 10s.
    It is also super crisp and clean. Barely any aliasing visible. Thats superb IQ

3. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil Monsieur Geezer
    Veteran Newcomer

It certainly looks and plays great. I just hope it sold well enough for its sequels to get such a remake.

RenegadeRocks likes this.
  4. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

It got a lot of praise! Deservedly so.

5. RenegadeRocks

Legend

Yup ! One of those rare games you cant stop playing !

Really really hope there is another being made , along with another Resistance.

6. Sigfried1977

Legend Veteran

Lovely game indeed. The neutered satire, scattershot story and sanitized characters are a bit of a shame, though. Ratchet was a selfish prick in the original. The two didn't really get along until the very end of the game. That was the whole point. In the new game, their character arcs basically begin and end within their very first shared cutscene.
    Instead we we got plenty of fourth-wall-breaking meta humor. Painfully unfunny one at that.

#406 Sigfried1977, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    RenegadeRocks and rabidrabbit like this.
  7. Tkumpathenurpahl

Veteran Newcomer

That surprises me. I only started playing Ratchet and Clank at the third entry (Up Your Arsenal IIRC) so I was under the impression that this was a straightforward remake, at least in terms of the narrative.

And fourth wall breaking just isn't funny. It's pointless as anything but a self indulgent exercise.

8. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

WOW you must be fun at parties.

djskribbles and ToTTenTranz like this.
  9. Tkumpathenurpahl

Veteran Newcomer

The parties I go to don't need me to break the fourth wall.

milk, tuna and London Geezer like this.
  10. RenegadeRocks

Legend

BEST 4k implementation of them all: truly looks like native 4k, so damn clean and crisp ! Kudos Insomniac you trumped Checkerboarding with this temporal Injection shit ! This is th eonly game on my pro which makes me feel satisfied with the Pro+4kHDR TV purchase. So damn crisp and such a well balanced HDR !.

Truly the best 4k HDR game out there right now. <3 <3 <3 I have already played it twice but I cant help it playing again after seeing that amazingly well done 4k.....so damn clear and sharp ! Wish I had played this for the first time like this, I would have died with happiness :p !Bravo, insomniac , BRavo !Trumped every other AAA in the 4k HDR department.

#410 RenegadeRocks, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  11. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Yep. Beautiful. Just imagine Spider-Man - eye melt.

DSoup, RenegadeRocks and chris1515 like this.
  12. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

I also think the temporal injection shit works especially well with R&C's cartoony style where the lack of many small edges or specular aliasing lends it well to the technique, the look and feel of a native 4k is perhaps further realized in that sense. The Pro version truly stomps, it's only natural for Spiderman with a bigger budget, more matured tools looks as stunning as it is already and we haven't even seen the HDR version of it yet:twisted::twisted:.

13. novcze

Regular

I'm not into R&C but I tried it because we had it as free PS+ game and it looks amazing when supersampled to 1080p, it's also one of these instances I can tolerate 30 fps, because it's rock solid and have good motion blur.

[​IMG]
    http://u.cubeupload.com/novcze/RC11.png
    http://u.cubeupload.com/novcze/RC4.png

Karamazov likes this.
  14. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

I would say, even on 4K TVs aliasing is hard to spot. The game looks magnificent and hopefully Spidey will have the same aliasing-free video output.

15. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Geometry aliasing looks defeated. I presume texture and shader aliasing is still and issue though.

16. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Personally, I think this game and Doom have been the most shockingly clean looking games this generation. Just incredible.

17. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

I think come next gen aliasing would be a thing in the past (if not already is) and on top of 8-16x af rendered at native 4k or even cbr 4k, devs could finally stop worrying about iq and concentrate on effects instead.

Tkumpathenurpahl likes this.
  18. Tkumpathenurpahl

Veteran Newcomer

I remember thinking that same sort of thing when playing the Witcher 3: a few issues with clipping here and there, but, largely, I'm perfectly happy with image quality now.

19. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

For me Second Son was the first game that "solved" the AA issues that plagued us for so long. There was some shader aliasing, but overall game had incredible IQ.

20. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Ryse and Killzone Shadow solved it before and Second Son still had some aliasing problems.

If I'm not mistaken Crytek started Temporal AA in gaming with Crysis 2:
    https://de.slideshare.net/TiagoAlexSousa/antialiasing-methods-in-cryengine-3

https://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/articles/crysis-2-directx-11-ultra-upgrade-page-2

#420 Jupiter, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018