Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit the Demo is fantastic ! It's Zen !
OMG this is the shooter to play! I just hope it doesn't get repetitive later.
They should have released this demo instead of the MP beta ! Would have been insta buy !

Eh I think it's overrated to be honest. I have been working my way through it since release and am losing interest a bit. As Grall has said, the checkpoints are bullshit sometimes and I'd like quick saves thanks.

I think the Doom name and endless advertising are most of its reasons for fame. Otherwise it would be another Hard Reset. That's certainly the gameplay formula here anyway.

Last edited:
I played the Demo and hated it basically.

For one, I dont like the glory kills mechanic. It introduces a lot of stress. I hate any game that makes me feel like I'm playing it wrong (prime example being games with stealth options, which I universally dont want to do, and universally feel like I'm playing the game wrong by not doing). I just would wanna blast in a game like this (besides it's other problems) not sit there and constantly be torn about how to kill that next enemy. Plus right stick to do it isn't fluid.

Also playing on Xbox One I did notice a significant lack of sharpness to the (supposedly usually sub 1080P) graphics. Also i suppose it's the point, but it all felt very oppressive.

The Doctor bad guy's voice/audio snippets were hella cool though. I legit got chills at the segue out of the elevator.

I think the Doom name and endless advertising are most of its reasons for fame. Otherwise it would be another Hard Reset.

Endless advertising ? I dislike Bethesda, but I think they handle game releases well. Not much to see, apart from a few screenshots, and then a concentrated media buzz around the release date.
There are certainly much worse offenders.
Are there secrets to explore in Hard Reset ? Maybe they should bring a remastered version on console and increase their audience

For one, I dont like the glory kills mechanic. It introduces a lot of stress

Do you know you can disable glory kill highlights in the graphic options ?
Without highlights, it should be really easy to ignore

1 button press then its over?
The bosses have to be executed, so I dunno if they make an exception to show the grid highlights for these cases. :p Hopefully the bosses don't just get back up after a timer if the player is confused (never tried waiting).

I played the Demo and hated it basically.

For one, I dont like the glory kills mechanic. It introduces a lot of stress. I hate any game that makes me feel like I'm playing it wrong (prime example being games with stealth options, which I universally dont want to do, and universally feel like I'm playing the game wrong by not doing). I just would wanna blast in a game like this (besides it's other problems) not sit there and constantly be torn about how to kill that next enemy.

I felt the opposite ! The glory kills provide brief pauses in between the super fast (might get stressful) gameplay ! If I want to take a breath I glory kill a guy :) and then jump back into action.....or If I am running low on health or ammo. There is no decision making in there in the glory kill !

My only real concern is that the game might get repetitive after a while, but that all depends on enemy and level variety.

Doom is pretty good at spreading out the goods. Sure, there will be a point where you won't be seeing new enemies anymore (I'd say just shy of reaching the three quarters mark of the campaign), but it's gonna take a long time until all those sweet, frequently game-changing weapon mods are yours. And with the right runes, glory kills can actually speed up the game even further.

hello, does doom become boring after a while or it keeps ramping up the intense fast fun?

also, does this game have any story? good replayability?

hello, does doom become boring after a while or it keeps ramping up the intense fast fun?
Yes.

also, does this game have any story? good replayability?

Story is minimal, but the back-story is interesting to speculate. It's a "Less-is-more" approach, but I mean, there's nothing complex about it.

If they made Doomguy pissed off because the demons killed his pet rabbit in Doom 1, I wouldn't have complained. ;)

@AlNets yes boring or yes fun?

About the story, so I won't be disturbed by heavy handed exposition right? I can keep run and gunning without being taken out so suddenly (like Destiny, portal),

The game won't suddenly break it's pace just to present its story? (a-la call of duty and battlefield).

It can be both. I stuck to one level a night just because the save system is rather garbage, and I spent time searching for secrets & unlocking upgrades.

About the story, so I won't be disturbed by heavy handed exposition right? I can keep run and gunning without being taken out so suddenly (like Destiny, portal),

The game won't suddenly break it's pace just to present its story? (a-la call of duty and battlefield).
It's pretty rare where you have to sit through some talking. Maybe... 3 parts. Two at the end of a level (short?), one that's a little later in the game. I forget.

Most of the exposition is given as audio while you run around.

i just replayed the demo stage again in the full version of DOOM.
omg the sense of awesomeness and BADASS is still there :D

the way they used all surround speaker and wide frequency range for subwoofer action (from subtle, to bombastic, to atmospheric humm, etc).... really really nice.

Almost never. No (there are exactly two instances where exposition exceeds its welcome. But as Doom is a rather substantial game I'm more than willing to give it a pass on these ever-so-slight transgressions)) The game has the good sense of cutting itself short whenever the expository techno babble would start to get tiresome. It does this in a rather humorous and clever fashion too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back