The Annual E3 Microsoft press conference thread, 2016 edition

GDDR5 on 384-bit bus or GDDR5X on 256-bit
The (I assume) rendered image showed 12 memory devices.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-13%20at%2010.56.46%20AM.png

I dont know why they announced it so soon. Its going to be late 2017 (nov/dec). The question is, what is the ecosystem going to be, when this is launched will there be scorpio only games that wont work on Xbox one?

They said that no one is left behind. All games will run on both Xbox Scorpio and Xbox One.

Pretty sure he said the SoC had 6Tf but the CPU isn't going to offering much. What's a Skylake i7 @4Ghz, about 270Gf?
Ars said 6TFlop SoC then 6 TFLOP specifically to the GPU later; also stating 8 core CPU and 320GB/s.

I dont know why they announced it so soon.

Because they don't want more people for whom performance is important investing further in Sony's ecosystem.

Its going to be late 2017 (nov/dec). The question is, what is the ecosystem going to be, when this is launched will there be scorpio only games that wont work on Xbox one?

Phil Spencer said "nobody will be left behind", so a similar tact as Sony and Neo.

Nice move MS...back on track: no shitty stuff, just power and games. Excellent.
Time to switch to Scorpio as primary console if Sony can't better this with Neo

#powermatters

They said that no one is left behind. All games will run on both Xbox Scorpio and Xbox One.

Yup just like PC. Games you buy will scale settings based on the machine it is being run on. Buy a game at any time and play it on any Xbox machine or Windows 10 PC from now going forwards. For Xbox starting with XBO. For PC, anything that runs Windows 10.

Regards,
SB

But thats a gigantic jump in hardware. If the games are still designed with the X1 as baseline then thats really limiting for "6TF" of hardware to shine.

Think of Battlefield 1. It'll max out the best hardware available, but it'll also run on current consoles. I say Xbox One lasts two years after Scorpio release before they cut it off.

But thats a gigantic jump in hardware. If the games are still designed with the X1 as baseline then thats really limiting for "6TF" of hardware to shine.

Unless they start using an engine more like Forza where everything is dynamically scaled on a frame by frame basis.

Time to switch to Scorpio as primary console if Sony can't better this with Neo

And this is one of those $64 million issues. Once you dispense with the concept of abandoning your game library when buying a new console, jumping back and forth between Xbox and PlayStation will become a more complicated decision for a lot of people. Ecosystem lock-in will gradually take effect for many.

My guess since they specifically aim "4k" the easiest way for developers would be to make the game

900p30 or 900p60 for X1 and 4k30 or 4k60 for scorpio with maybe some small additions like better AF. That way the X1 owners don't miss on much and the Scorpio users get the better looking experience. That of course limits the Scorpio and i'm wondering for how long are they planning to support the current Xbox before moving on to the Scorpio for 2-3 years then whatever else follows up after that.

The way Spencer stated it, sounded much more like a backwards compatibility than a statement that no game will be Scorpio only.

I would say, some time around when they showed Minecraft or the custom controllers they lost me and I got bored. Interest came back a little late, but that needed to be way way shorter.

Back