PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSVR was also rumoured to be out at the beginning of this year and that didn't happen, so I really doubt a Q1 2017. It'll only be in late autumn this year, or the same period in 2017.

If the rumours aren't all a rouse anyway...

I think the 2x power of PS4 is kind of perfect if it's meant for the PSVR, as 1080@60 will be a perfect native 1080@120. It'll then be pushing more pixels and frames than any other VR device this year.

Maybe it's just FUD?

The 4K blu ray is a given, sure. PS4 is on top right now, outselling all of their competitors, combined. They make the most money from games. PS4 hardware has already been profitable for a long time. By introducing new hardware, they are setting the profitable hardware-part back a few years, instead of continuing with lowering hardware costs and increasing profits even more.

I really believe they could ride out a more powerful Xbox Two; PS2 overall was not as powerful as both GC and Xbox.
Sony is already launching essentially a new platform and they want people to buy PSVR. I am not ruling out a 2x GPU PS4, but not within months of PSVR launch, maybe Q1 2018, but even then, it would be much, much better to launch PS5 in Q4 2018.

Maybe it's just FUD?

The 4K blu ray is a given, sure. PS4 is on top right now, outselling all of their competitors, combined. They make the most money from games. PS4 hardware has already been profitable for a long time. By introducing new hardware, they are setting the profitable hardware-part back a few years, instead of continuing with lowering hardware costs and increasing profits even more.

I really believe they could ride out a more powerful Xbox Two; PS2 overall was not as powerful as both GC and Xbox.
Sony is already launching essentially a new platform and they want people to buy PSVR. I am not ruling out a 2x GPU PS4, but not within months of PSVR launch, maybe Q1 2018, but even then, it would be much, much better to launch PS5 in Q4 2018.

they still can release PS4K at premium though. So both PS4K and PS4classic/slim have a nice profit for each of them.

or PS4K will still be big and as expensive as PS4 Classic. While sony also stop producing PS4classic and replaced it with cheaper to produce PS4slim at a reduced price.

so a a complete 1-2 punch to xbox and blu-ray players.

I wonder if Sony can use GDDR5X on a new revision of regular PS4 to simplify the motherboard? 14-16nm shrink + that could create a pretty cute PS4 :)

they were discussing a better CPU
So while the 2X GPU is supposedly finalized, according to this leak, nothing is sure about the CPU? so 1.6ghz jaguar with a 3.6 Tflops GPU might be the final hardware?

You don't upgrade the GPU without upgrading the CPU, it makes no sense at all, but it sill possible apparently, according to this GAF leak.

So while the 2X GPU is supposedly finalized, according to this leak, nothing is sure about the CPU? so 1.6ghz jaguar with a 3.6 Tflops GPU might be the final hardware?

You don't upgrade the GPU without upgrading the CPU, it makes no sense at all, but it sill possible apparently, according to this GAF leak.
Yeah that was weird. Why not upgrading to new better amd cpu?

AMD themselves have stated that they got huge contract win right? Although at that time it was speculated for NX.

You don't upgrade the GPU without upgrading the CPU, it makes no sense at all
It doesn't matter if you upgrade CPU or not if all you intend to do is uprez your graphics. It doesn't take more CPU oomph to render at 4k than it does at regular 1080P. Changing CPU would be a bigger deal, compatibility-wise as well. You might potentially have software breaking because of it. Then there's the anti-piracy/security stuff as well, you need to validate that bit all over again to make sure it's as airtight as you can make it, and so on. Costs additional money and manpower.

But maybe they'll do it. Maybe not. Maybe they aren't even upgrading the GPU at all and this is just wishful thinking. :)

The CPU deal seems weird. If the thing is supposed to release within a year (assuming March '17 at the latest), the decision on the CPU should have been already made.

If they're still debating that, then the system in coming much later and I have to wonder why release it in '17 at all. Wait another year and simply call it PS5. The leak seems bad as I think think kind of product has to have a short announce to release window to minimize the impact on existing console sales.

What I got from that was that the CPU upgrade was a given. What is in question is the degree to which the CPU will be upgraded (hence the $100 price delta). Could be a question of Puma vs. Excavator cores.

Either way that decision should have been made. If they're still to decide, update the design, verify, and tape-out it's not coming this year.

Also, an "insider" on GAF claimed "SLI" for the GPU. Perhaps simply plopping down another instance of the GPU on the SOC is a cheap and easy way of doubling the performance with minimal impact to developers. It maybe a good fit for VR as well. But it could be bullshit as well.

What I got from that was that the CPU upgrade was a given. What is in question is the degree to which the CPU will be upgraded (hence the $100 price delta). Could be a question of Puma vs. Excavator cores.
It will almost certainly be Zen:
1. It will presumably be part of a SoC, as current PS4 games will have been developed assuming on-chip CPU-GPU latencies
2. To get '2X the GPU performance' within an acceptable thermal envelope the GPU will have to be on 14nm.
3. I don't see how it would be worth AMD's manpower and money to shrink Puma or Excavator to 14nm solely for console(s) when Zen is already on the way.

Perhaps they are still deciding between 4, 6 or 8 Zen cores.

Last edited:
Double the GPU would mean 14/16 nm, new CPU would mean Zen, meaning GF 14 nm. Don't think this will be ready by E3, perhaps not even by PSVR.

Cost per transistor is going to be fairly similar for mature 28nm and early 14nm I'd have thought. So that explains a cost bump. GDDR5X would mean they could stick with 256-bit bus, probably 8 or 16 GB.

Will likely coexist with PS4 for a couple of years, this isn't going to be a straight replacement.

This might not even be a soc. MCM Zen 14 nm + GPU 16 nm is possible.

AMD Zen APU aren't due till mid 2016.

Either way that decision should have been made. If they're still to decide, update the design, verify, and tape-out it's not coming this year.

Also, an "insider" on GAF claimed "SLI" for the GPU. Perhaps simply plopping down another instance of the GPU on the SOC is a cheap and easy way of doubling the performance with minimal impact to developers. It maybe a good fit for VR as well. But it could be bullshit as well.

That's an interesting idea. 2 chips, connected by custom interface or coherent fabric (if that tech is ready). It actually fits with a lot of the rumors. VR enabling. Old games would need to be patched to take advantage of extra power. CPU power question could be does chip 2 contain CPU cores also or is it just a GPU.

They could do a similar thing to what Nintendo did with the Wii, overclock both CPU and GPU and maybe adding some cores to the GPU in order to reach 3.6Tflops for the GPU. How much do you think the PS4 APU could be overclocked using 14nm tech?

EDIT: ugh, SLI according to leaker Zoetis. Not sounding good for 60fps gaming. One CPU, 2 GPUs, that's definitely for an upres only.

sli, and there wont be a generational leap this is pure for 4k output.

Last edited:
They could do a similar thing to what Nintendo did with the Wii, overclock both CPU and GPU and maybe adding some cores to the GPU in order to reach 3.6Tflops for the GPU. How much do you think the PS4 APU could be overclocked using 14nm tech?

EDIT: ugh, SLI according to leaker Zoetis. Not sounding good for 60fps gaming. One CPU, 2 GPUs, that's definitely for an upres only.
Huh? 2 gpu? What? Why? For surefire backward compatibility?

Huh? 2 gpu? What? Why? For surefire backward compatibility?
Yep that'll give them easy BC for sure. My last hope now is freesync. If the game runs at higher res on PS4K but with freesync enabled by default on all cross games, it could be interesting and a real framerate improvement from PS4.

If the leaks are true obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back