Will we see an ALL DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION 9th gen? *poll*

Should there be a download-only console platform next gen?

• Total voters
So I went to IGN's PC board, and was having a discussion/debate about the potential for an all digital download console future as early as the Next (9th) Generation.

I basically was on the side of both......pretty much how it is now with physical disks/media combined with the choice of digital download. But several people argued that both Sony and Microsoft are likely to do away with physical media, and damned be any potential consequences (consequences like retailers rebelling, loss of overseas customers, etc.)

Even though I'm an advocate for the choice of both, it sort of seemed like I was being made out to be a bit unreasonable and perhaps stuck in the past.

It also dawned on me, that it seemed that the ones who most wanted this, they seemed to be more of the hardcore PC gamer variety. Why?

But what do you Beyond3d'ers think? What are the chances in your minds?

I want an all digital download system, but would not be against having physical media treated as download accelerators.

I dont see it as happening because many seem to be stuck in the past or suddenly have absolutely horrible internet services.

The optical still had media value. I'd say two SKUs, or a download only console with an optional drive bay. But the discussion of whether a download console is viable is already held here - let's keep this to just a poll

To reiterate, the viability of a download only console is discussed here.

If people want to talk about the pros and cons of a download only box, please continue the discussion in that thread
(where it's all been said already ;)).

Just keep to a sample of current views in this thread rather than a discussion - otherwise this thread offers nothing different from the other discussion and will be closed.

Always Online DRM...

*TRIGGERED*

jzsLJ0O.jpg

Zero chance that 9th gen will be digital download only. Physical media of one type or another will be around for at least a few more cycles.

Polls are all about inserting opinions into each choice... like so...

Yes, I don't want anyone to be allowed to have physical ownership regardless of my preference. Let's try to save Microsoft blunder that cost them this gen. We must ridicule 85% of gamers as stuck in the past. Misrepresent their views and don't ever mention online DRM.

Both, I want people who don't care about long term value and ownership to be able to save 20 bucks on a lower cost sku. If that makes sense to them, it's not my place to decide how they spend/save their money. They should also have a barebone sku without an HDD so that we can decide which one to put in.

No, like current gen, it's more logical for them to maintain a single sku that always allows both, it is simpler to launch and support, and it still lets each gamer decide what mix of retail/dd they prefer. Including 100% retail and 100% DD.

So.. uh... yeah I voted both.

The PSP Go's history has shown us that download-only consoles will face sabotage from retailers, and console makers still need retailers to sell consoles.
So the best chance of having a download-only console is by having two SKUs, one of them not being sold by retailers obviously (probably for online orders only).

To reiterate, the viability of a download only console is discussed here.

The problem is that the thread title doesn't match the poll question at all. While the poll asks "what we want", the thread asks "what are the chances" which is a very different question, and obviously the chances question leads to discussing viability.

I'm ignoring the question in the pool and answering the thread title, so the answer is yes. I believe someone will do a download only console, probably MS. But like any rational minded person who like options, I would choose both, because why not?

But like any rational minded person who like options, I would choose both, because why not?

This. And this goes back to the Xbox One u-turn where Microsoft basically blamed public opinion for having to change their digital purchase policy. They did not have to change their digital only policy and they shouldn't have; it looked like a good idea. All they needed to do was also continue to support games on disc as they always had been. These are not mutually exclusive policies. When Steam launched with it's initial DRM policies, full game installations on DVD did not disappear overnight.

As long as it's cleara to consumers, you can offer as many options as you like.

It would be nice, however I think many people are still shy of purchasing online...
Alternative would be to sell cards (like amazon cards) at retail, but not games themsevles.
As long as there are game retailers, we are stuck with shitty price & dumb pre-order bonuses... So it would be better w/o them.

(Would be nice to be able to back them up like in Steam, makes things a little harder but that's be grood.)

But like any rational minded person who like options, I would choose both, because why not?

This.

----------------------------------------------------
Slightly off-topic.

What's really bothering me as of lately (especially with PC gaming), is this ever growing trend towards online DRM regular check-ins. Even when you own the gaming disc (GTA V in this case).

If I'm offline in GTA V for more than 4-5 days, I'm reguired (forced) to sign-in on validating my copy. Which is pure bullshit!!! I own the fu**ing disc set for crying out loud... I shouldn't need to verify every 4-5 days my legal purchase. Verification should be my hardcopy (disc). God forbid my Internet connection goes down or gets changed/canceled for whatever reason.

I was proud of my 50 mb internet, now I read my ISP is rolling out 1 gig speed, for about $100 a month (price of 100mb before) everywhere they serve. Those with 100 mb speed currently, get a free upgrade to 200mb, etc.

This is all over cable, no fiber needed.

At 50 mb/s it's still obnoxious to download 60GB games, but as these blazing speeds hit (if my cable ISP is doing it I'm sure they all are) it'll be much easier.

Retail is not going anywhere.

Yes, since you cant download a console, controllers, headsets, batteries, HDMI cables, etc etc etc. Wal Mart already has a video game aisle of nothing but those things. Plus digital cards for those without credit card access.

Back