Sony is bleeding money - business strategy discussion

One area of Sony, and the most profitable one. So who knows how many peanuts they make on the others, and how many peanuts the owe on some.

Fair enough. I'm used to big-brand companies throwing around billions per quarter and still grumbling!
I focussed on Sony's G&NS division because any re-appropriation is a cost that I think Sony will expect to be absorbed by PlayStation under Sony's new organisational structure. That was the point of the re-organisation, after all.

The order says Sony must offer $25 cash or $50 voucher, not that Sony must offer those due recompense the option of the two. I think Sony will probably go with vouchers although the economics would favour $25 cash if that money is reinvested in Sony / PlayStation merchandise.

Sony's PR has been on the nail lately which I why I think they'll go with the voucher even though it'll cost them more in real terms.

I don't think so. Last quarter (Q3) Sony's Game and Network Services division (PlayStation predominately) had an operating income of $228m - that clear profit, not revenue. A quarter of a billion dollars pure profit :yes:

well sucks for me I guess , I don't own sony products anymore. Would rather strait cash.

As for their profit in the game industry, Its more about their over all profits. So far this year they have shed SOE and half of their Olympus stake.

anecdotal

yesterday when im on electronic expo, the sony stuff is discounted much more than other brands. Asking around, 2 stores basically says this is limited stock, sony going out of business.

and i never heard them exiting home entertainment business at all...

Sony products also still have a premium price for some reason. My gf's parents were in the market for a new tv. We ended up with a vizio 4k with usb 2.0 for $1300 at Costco. The closest sony we could find to its specs was $1700. The Samsung was a $1800.

I don't have my serial number anymore but I did buy a bunch of games on the account through my vita so i'm sending my psn in and will see what happens.

Last edited:
Vizio is an exception according to the article on the verge years ago. They make premium quality stuff with reasonable price by using many tricks (limiting/fcusing distribution channel, etc).

@bgroovy
or the store simply cut ties with sony.. the product itself is the latest product available (there's still no replacement annoucned on sony's website)

Yeah, Vizio's pricing is considerably lower than the other big brands and is why they sell so well (currently #2 in TV sales I believe). They make very solid TVs for a lot less than Samsung, Sony, Sharp or even LG.

and i never heard them exiting home entertainment business at all...
They make too many slight variations of the same product - just look at their TV product lines of which there are hundreds in each region. It's insane and just too many so the plan is/was to slim down the options. This may well result in them exiting some markets in some regions.

but sony's strategy of making slight varations thats confusing is the exact strategy used by LG and Samsung and Sharp. its always something like "F/Z/H/A/B/C" suffix at minimum....

but sony's strategy of making slight varations thats confusing is the exact strategy used by LG and Samsung and Sharp. its always something like "F/Z/H/A/B/C" suffix at minimum....

I notice that Samsung has different devices per store. Stores like this because it makes comparision shopping harder. Sony (the last time I really looked) seemed to have different devices in the same size in a single store.

Different devices per store? Perhaps they have so many variations that one store will carry one line and another carries another slightly different line, which I would expect from pretty much all manufacturers with a bloated product range.

No they most likely do it for the reason eastmen mentioned... to prevent price matching. Here in Canada, Samsung and LG do it the most. I don't even think the other major companies do it. This usually only happens with low-mid range models. High-end models are usually the same store-wide.

The lettering and/or numbering could determine the model year or series (it differs between brands). For Samsung, the letter determines the model year (E - 2012, F - 2013, H - 2014, J - 2015) and the numbers determine the series. Whereas with Sony, the letter at the beginning of the model number is the series, and the letter at the end determines the model year. LG follows closer to Samsung's model labeling, whereas Panasonic is somewhat closer to Sony's labeling.

Some examples:
Samsung UN65F8000 - UN is the display type (LED/LCD), F is the model year, 8000 is the series
LG 65LB6300 - L is the display type (LED/LCD), B is the model year, 6300 is the series
Sony KDL-65W850B - W is the series, B is the model year
Panasonic TC-P65VT60 - TC-P is the display type (Plasma), VT is the series, 60 is the model year

Last edited:
Don't forget that often part of the naming scheme includes a letter or number to designate region as well as potentially retailer chain.

So it's relatively standard practice for one model of TV, for example, to have multiple model names to denote region and sometimes reseller (so even within one region 1 model may have multiple model names).

Regards,
SB

Back