DirectX 12: The future of it within the console gaming space (specifically the XB1)

A simple Google would have saved me the thumb ache of typing that all out on my iphone. Welp, that's that.. LOL, and I was so sure, I was thrown off by the fact that they moved Fable Legends to DX12. But then equally I should have realized that the beta is running today.

tldr; No confirmations on the feature set for XBO yet.

A simple Google would have saved me the thumb ache of typing that all out on my iphone. Welp, that's that.. LOL, and I was so sure, I was thrown off by the fact that they moved Fable Legends to DX12. But then equally I should have realized that the beta is running today.

tldr; No confirmations on the feature set for XBO yet.
As best I can see, PC beta is still listed as TBD and you have to a Win10 preview member as well.

The Xbox one beta is still operating though. :) which means that variant of the game is still leveraging dx11

The Xbox one beta is still operating though. :) which means that variant of the game is still leveraging dx11
That's not necessary true. Every game has its own OS. So it is possible to deliver win 10/dx12 with the game. It is only a vm. Even Linux would be possible if ms would deliver a corresponding vm.

IIRC directx is bound to the Wddm of the OS. Details still out of scope for me. But tldr; if you want dx12 you must have windows 10 Wddm. I don't think the beta is supporting its own win10 environment in a game to play it in dx12. That's just my thought, that type of situation seems too complex and the available resources for Xbox has are too little for that type of thing I think.

We will see what happens, I just received an email to complete my fable legends registration, apparently on the first pass of invites I didn't do mine so I wasn't in the pool. I'm curious to see how this next one goes. It asks what platforms you are interested in, I selected both win10 and Xbox one.

Last edited:
IIRC directx is bound to the Wddm of the OS. Details still out of scope for me. But tldr; if you want dx12 you must have windows 10 Wddm. I don't think the beta is supporting its own win10 environment in a game to play it in dx12. That's just my thought, that type of situation seems too complex and the available resources for Xbox has are too little for that type of thing I think.

We will see what happens, I just received an email to complete my fable legends registration, apparently on the first pass of invites I didn't do mine so I wasn't in the pool. I'm curious to see how this next one goes. It asks what platforms you are interested in, I selected both win10 and Xbox one.
The NDA is strict, so maybe you are beta testing the new OS. Nah... But that NDA, I have yet to see any leaks.

- there is no Dx12 API on the XB1 yet, its still Dx11.x with fast path extensions ...
- Also the Win 10 kernel, and wddm 2 etc is not on xb1 yet ... the drivers are all still Win8 x ...

Win10 is far from ready, judging by the Win10 9926 tech preview ..

Reactions: Jwm
As far as I can tell, there is no reason a game could not run on dx12 api without having to update the system OS. The game OS and the system OS are separate for a reason. The SDK would have to support dx12, and it's possible an exclusive like Fable could have early access to a dx12 SDK. I just highly doubt that is the case. Maybe it'll be directx12 at release, but I don't think the beta is likely to be running that way.

Put it this way, we know Lionhead already has access to Directx12, despite Windows 10 being in a preview state. We know Unreal Engine etc are working on supporting it. It's not like dx12 isn't out in the wild for select hands. It just isn't likely that Fable beta is dx12 yet, even though they said it will be.

As far as I can tell, there is no reason a game could not run on dx12 api without having to update the system OS. The game OS and the system OS are separate for a reason. The SDK would have to support dx12, and it's possible an exclusive like Fable could have early access to a dx12 SDK. I just highly doubt that is the case. Maybe it'll be directx12 at release, but I don't think the beta is likely to be running that way.

Put it this way, we know Lionhead already has access to Directx12, despite Windows 10 being in a preview state. We know Unreal Engine etc are working on supporting it. It's not like dx12 isn't out in the wild for select hands. It just isn't likely that Fable beta is dx12 yet, even though they said it will be.

My thoughts:
a) Fable was declared to be fully converted to DX12 at the show, so both variants are ready from my understanding. If the beta comes after another 'monthly' update that could speak to the possibility of a kernel switch, if not, then well it's not.
b) Unreal's site already indicates that developers who want early access to DX12 variant of UE4; it is available since the Windows 10 Tech Preview was released a couple days back.
c) Fairly positive the DX12 SDKs are out for Xbox people, and I imagine it likely have been since last year March. It's just that if you were planning to release a game prior to DX12 being released it would have been pointless for you to bother. I still believe the Halo 5 beta was a complete throw away, it was just a test for game play.
d) The DX12 preview released last year at GDC I think were just to let people use the API and see if they had issues converting their engines etc. Working out bugs and the APIs and stuff. I'm a firm believer that the technology and feature set was solidified for 12_0, because if it wasn't they'd still have to work out the driver aspect of it. It just seems like too many things in motion. If there are discussing newer features they might be put into 12_1, but to me it doesn't make sense as a 12_0 release.
e) *OT Tinhat* I have a strong feelings nVidia pushed a lot of their proprietary features into DX12 to become standard, I feel like I might go as far and say that those features in Maxwell MK2 made it into Xbox to help push [Nvidias] cards; perhaps a way to make up for an all AMD generation.

My thoughts:
a) Fable was declared to be fully converted to DX12 at the show, so both variants are ready from my understanding. If the beta comes after another 'monthly' update that could speak to the possibility of a kernel switch, if not, then well it's not.
b) Unreal's site already indicates that developers who want early access to DX12 variant of UE4; it is available since the Windows 10 Tech Preview was released a couple days back.
c) Fairly positive the DX12 SDKs are out for Xbox people, and I imagine it likely have been since last year March. It's just that if you were planning to release a game prior to DX12 being released it would have been pointless for you to bother. I still believe the Halo 5 beta was a complete throw away, it was just a test for game play.
d) The DX12 preview released last year at GDC I think were just to let people use the API and see if they had issues converting their engines etc. Working out bugs and the APIs and stuff. I'm a firm believer that the technology and feature set was solidified for 12_0, because if it wasn't they'd still have to work out the driver aspect of it. It just seems like too many things in motion. If there are discussing newer features they might be put into 12_1, but to me it doesn't make sense as a 12_0 release.
e) *OT Tinhat* I have a strong feelings nVidia pushed a lot of their proprietary features into DX12 to become standard, I feel like I might go as far and say that those features in Maxwell MK2 made it into Xbox to help push [Nvidias] cards; perhaps a way to make up for an all AMD generation.

Just a driver issue on PC right now. :(

Which features exactly? We don't even know yet if Maxwell Gen 2 supports all DX12's new features. What we do know is that at the time of their release, there were no final conformance tests available, yet.
Of the 4 known new features in DX12, one is apparently DX-implementation of Intel's PixelSync and supported by GCN too, the other 3 are currently unknown whether some Intel or AMD products support them or not already.

Which features exactly? We don't even know yet if Maxwell Gen 2 supports all DX12's new features. What we do know is that at the time of their release, there were no final conformance tests available, yet.
Of the 4 known new features in DX12, one is apparently DX-implementation of Intel's PixelSync and supported by GCN too, the other 3 are currently unknown whether some Intel or AMD products support them or not already.

Yes, I'm speaking of those 4 new features. Before I continue I'll need to state that I'm talking way outside of my understanding of everything, essentially I'm talking out of my butt, so you'll need to assist me here or there if I'm off base.

Aside from the PixelSync which we know already Intel has got covered, my feeling is that the other 3 features are the results of nvidia pushing them as standard. No proof of course, I've got none. But as you say, and as many have written, conformance tests have not yet been completed. Oddly enough, and this is where i'm going with this, is that conformance tests or not this benefits nvidia greatly that these 4 features made it into DX12; already on Maxwell Mk2, they happen to be all of the required hardware features to accelerate their VXGI algorithms that they have been pushing since 2012.

Conformance tests if I understand it correctly are about ensuring the hardware is properly capable of the feature. If i'm wrong on this point I'll need correction, but while both nvidia and AMD cards both have tessellation and would both pass a conformance test for tessellation, one implements tessellation much better than the other.

How ideal a situation would be if both consoles (or at least one console) be able to have these features and have them push things like VXGI for indirect 1 bounce lighting for next generation games, it would play perfectly into their hands as long as nvidia had the better implementation over AMD.

One feature that will require hardware support on DX 12 is the implementation of PixelSync for shure. And AMD already has it covered! And I bet another is the second GCP, something that is spoken in the candidate features for OPEN GL 5.
Dont forget that Microsoft, on the interview with DF, spoke about it's highly customized GCP and that it would like to implement something like that on PCs. So I believe the second GCP will be another one!
Asyncronous compute is already a reality, but this would create a standard for its optimization.

I am wondering, why is DX12 potentially more beneficial for the XB1? Considering that the hardware architecture for both consoles is almost identical, shouldnt one be just as compatible with D12 features as the other?

Back