The Annual E3 Sony press conference thread, 2014 edition

Should have shortened the middle part, but decent press conference overall. Was disappointed there was no Polyphony or Sony Santa Monica and I wish I saw more of Uncharted; but what I saw of it was incredible.

The first section was really strong, then they had 30 or 40 minutes of nails on a chalk board... The close was ok but with some editing they could have really had a strong showing today.

BTW how did they talk about the camera and not really show anything with it. Even LBP didn't use it for anything... It would have been so easy to show the camera doing something useful for the game (assuming support is built in) and then cut to the blurb afterwards about the importance of peripheral. Similarly where was Singstar? The money spent on powers should have been allocated for a new Eyepet game/addition for the Playroom.

For context anyone can go and look at other 'in engine' video and compare it to released game play and see that at times 'in engine' doesn't tell you a whole lot.

To be clear I have no doubt that UC4 will be a beautiful game my point is simply that in engine or captured from PS4 isn't telling you anything.

in engine alone could mean it's rendered at higher quality on pc or renderfarms. But if it is captured from a ps4, a single ps4, then that is pretty much it unless it had a lower framerate and was sped up. They should ask to clarify if it is coming from a single ps4, and if it wasn't sped up... if both are true then this is pretty much realtime ps4 output.

People have to remember that programmers have said that in some areas performance due to algorithmic improvement has surpassed that attained by moore's law over a timespan of a decade. It is not inconceivable that brilliant coders could produce output that would take 10x hardware performance to achieve with lesser coders.

Very impressed by Uncharted 4, especially at 60fps.

This isn't like the 'in-engine' cutscenes in Last of Us since they are rendered offline (on PCs), wheras this is in-engine captured off a PS4.

It doesn't look like it's out of the realm of possiblity for real-time either, just a rung above things like Quantum Break (to be expected, given it's on more powerful hardware) or say The Order. Let's not forget that ND are Sony's best 1P team too (out of a bunch of technically stellar teams).

Last edited by a moderator:
Very impressed by Uncharted 4, especially at 60fps.

This isn't like the 'in-engine' cutscenes in Last of Us since they are rendered offline (on PCs), wheras this is in-engine captured off a PS4.

It doesn't look like it's out of the realm of possiblity for real-time either, just a rung above things like Quantum Break (to be expected, given it's on more powerful hardware) or say The Order. Let's not forget that ND are Sony's best 1P team too (out of a bunch of technically stellar teams).

Have they confirmed 60fps 1080p?

Have they confirmed 60fps 1080p?

They said they're targeting 60fps, whether they hit a solid 60 on release who knows, but even aiming for anything above 30 is impressive with that kind of fidelity.

Don't know about 1080p, they haven't said. The trailer looks 1080p native though?

How on earth.....? :oops:

I wonder when they are going to show us real time gameplay. The video looks too good to be true and I dont trust what I see until I see the actual deal.

TLOU initial trailer also showed amazing visuals and ND said that it was rendered on a PS3 using the in game engine. The gameplay looked great but not that great. Obviously it was rendered offline

I cant see the PS4 achieving that quality at 60fps 1080p. Hell even at 30fps it is questionable.

2015 release...
60fps...
1080p...
Morpheus has no release date and was given little promotion, likely 2015 release...

It's likely that Uncharted 4 is 60fps/1080p because it is a Morpheus launch game.

I guess it is a good time to summon Laa-Yosh.

I wonder about what he is thinking on the matter, I find the way water behaves is almost too good to be true.
Streaming also kills quality and is good at hiding "defaults" but I see no significant artifact.

I would bet on CGI made with their engine, at would add that their engine is damned impressive.

Anyway I'm waiting for Laa-Yosh take on the matter most opinion including mine are irrelevant next to his on that kind of topic.

I wonder about what he is thinking on the matter, I find the way water behaves is almost too good to be true.
Streaming also kills quality and is good at hiding "defaults" but I see no significant artifact.

I would bet on CGI made with their engine, at would add that their engine is damned impressive.

Anyway I'm waiting for Laa-Yosh take on the matter most opinion including mine are irrelevant next to his on that kind of topic.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1853622&postcount=184

Most probably pre-rendered in -engine like all previous games

Anyway I'm waiting for Laa-Yosh take on the matter
I imagine his immediate response would be to punch you in the face for calling a game-engine cinematic CGI! :devilish:

It's also not worth discussing U4 here as there's a thread for it.

I liked how they presented Bloodborne immediately after LBP3 without pause, it was a great contrast. :LOL:

TLOU initial trailer also showed amazing visuals and ND said that it was rendered on a PS3 using the in game engine.

I do recall them saying in engine, but did they truly also say rendered on a ps3?saying rendered on ps3 could imply multiple units but saying on a ps3 implies single unit, which would either mean realtime at that actual framerate or necessitating speed up as it would render at lower framerate.

I do recall them saying in engine, but did they truly also say rendered on a ps3?saying rendered on ps3 could imply multiple units but saying on a ps3 implies single unit, which would either mean realtime at that actual framerate or necessitating speed up as it would render at lower framerate.

They mentioned PS3 although I dont remember the exact wording. They did use multiple PS3's, hence why they mentioned PS3. The wording if I recall was similar to the wording they used for U4.

Back