*split* multiplatform console-world problems + Image Quality Debate

I don't think Crytek ever said they're using a software scaler. They only said they're using their own hybrid SMAA 1TX which is morphological + temporal AA.
Yerli on Twitter

runs at 1600x900 for best perf&res,we apply our upscaler for AA, framebuffer native 1080p.SAME as E3 XboxOne! No change,No compromise!

Given that they describe their custom AA solution, it doesn't make sense to claim they are using an upscaler for AA if they are using an AA post effect but upscaling with hardware..

Of course it looks washed out if black have RGB value 16,15,16.
Didn't he say in his explanation article that they "made sure" both consoles were in full mode to do a fair comparison?

Guess DF went in their with something to prove and did everything in their power to do it.

I bet if it wasn't for the black crush they (Best scooby doo villain voice now) would've got away with it too without us meddling kids.

Didn't he say in his explanation article that they "made sure" both consoles were in full mode to do a fair comparison?

Guess DF went in their with something to prove and did everything in their power to do it.

I bet if it wasn't for the black crush they (Best scooby doo villain voice now) would've got away with it too without us meddling kids.

they were both set to full mode, xbox one rendered in full rgb, but it sent out a limited signal which clipped footage giving those super blacks that some people prefer...which is weird to me that anyone could prefer that.

some prefer the X1 version not because of the crushed black, but the sharper texture (DF mentioned) and that PS4 looks so blurry that few even photoshopped it to do a fake comp GIF.

I don't understand why they didn't just ask Microsoft/Dice if there was an os bug and/or incomplete feature before publishing the excessively black crushed video. If the xb1 was out and released then I would understand, but it hasn't even shipped yet so they should have known it was possible things were buggy, incomplete or still being worked on especially given that both consoles need day 1 patches. As it stands they kinda threw Dice under the bus, making it seem as though their game is broken on one platform. I wonder if this is yet another case of a website wanting to rush to be first with a story.

Guess DF went in their with something to prove and did everything in their power to do it..

What was their intention exactly? I am curious since we have a poster here from DF and I would have a problem if someone accused me of doing something peticular, like outright lying. Only thing I have gottrn from their results is a weak resolution on the xb1 coupled with slightly worse framerate compared to a superior ps4 version that looks like crap.

Nothing that someone that intended to buy the xb1 from the get go would be scared of.

It could be said that thanks to the messed up ps4 video their technical review is anything but clearcut.

they were both set to full mode...
I question the output though. One of the screenshots I referenced from DF had a huge clip at 220. That's limited RGB range but set to 0-219 instead of 16-235. If not the presence of a few higher value pixels, I'd say that was it with certainty.

I don't understand why they didn't just ask Microsoft/Dice if there was an os bug and/or incomplete feature before publishing the excessively black crushed video.

We asked DICE for comment and were told that they are "investigating the video output range and settings for Xbox One".
Sounds like they weren't aware and/or had too much else to do to even check. The 360 resolution bug in the beta was odd enough as it is too. :p

Sounds like they weren't aware and/or had too much else to do to even check. The 360 resolution bug in the beta was odd enough as it is too. :p

Hmm I didn't see that quote in the original article, did they clarify that later? Or did they post the broken video first and then ask/clarify later? Either way at best they suspected their was an issue and went with the video, or at worst they got possible confirmation there was an issue and still went with the video. I dunno man, that just seems weak to me but I guess it's all about the quest to be first to internet, let the game developers handle any collateral damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
they were both set to full mode, xbox one rendered in full rgb, but it sent out a limited signal which clipped footage giving those super blacks that some people prefer...which is weird to me that anyone could prefer that.

According to nobcze the black isn't 0,0,0 suggesting the ps4 wasn't actually in full mode at all despite df stating they played around with the 'dashboard' making sure full was enabled.

According to nobcze the black isn't 0,0,0 suggesting the ps4 wasn't actually in full mode at all despite df stating they played around with the 'dashboard' making sure full was enabled.

Would that have any impact on some images seeming to be a bit washed out (overly white)?

It did with ps3. The arguments over gametrailers where hilarious at the time when they refused to set full mode and all ps3 videos did look washed out.

Maybe in being harsh on df and the ps4s output is borked too and they didn't realise but still these videos are not valid for a comparison in my opinion.

If black and white weren't correctly mapped to the capture device (in the opposite way of the Xbox One), then yes, that would make the picture washed out. Black would be a dark gray and white would be a light gray. Many captures of PS3 games looked off to me.. seems difficult to capture properly. On my calibrated display, games always looked better. I'm guessing BF4 on PS4 looks quite a bit better in person.

PS3 version runs with triple buffering, while 360 is in double buffering. Triple buffering is a problem for eDRAM, because it is only 10 mb.
That would only be an issue if devs had to keep their frontbuffers in eDRAM. Besides that sounding absolutely bizarre for a platform that can easily transfer buffers between eDRAM and GDDR3, developers have talked about using back/G-buffering schemes that take up nearly the entire 10MB (i.e. Halo Reach's 96bpp at 1152x720), so I'd be extraordinarily surprised if that were a real problem on 360.

PS3 version runs with triple buffering, while 360 is in double buffering. Triple buffering is a problem for eDRAM, because it is only 10 mb...
Once a buffer has been rendered, it can (and needs to be) shunted to DDR3 and output from there. The eDRAM limit therefore cannot affect choice of double or triple buffering.

Back