Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

I think that Kinect will have a surprising amount of pull with the family oriented entertainment crowd. Move entertainment apps outside the Gold paywall, drop the price modestly, and I think 1Bone will make quite an attractive device for families with a little cash to spend on entertainment.

I am just gonna say that I am not so sure, I got this idea that Kinect as something a family would get to have fun is done as a big seller.

I am sure many of the original Kinect buyers will look into buying the next version, but imho the Kinect trick was played out with the original and it simply isn't as hot and New as the original and the temptation has cooled down.

When MS designed the features for Kinect 2, certainly they must have envisioned some new game mechanic ideas?

Why for instance have it detect your pulse if there wasn't some specific gameplay idea to wrap around such a capability?

So we can expect first-party and other exclusives to utilize these features?

These mechanics are also implemented for marketing purposes to get information from consumers regarding their responses and experiences when exposed to certain content. Although I am sure a creative dev can find some use in games too

I am just gonna say that I am not so sure, I got this idea that Kinect as something a family would get to have fun is done as a big seller.

I am sure many of the original Kinect buyers will look into buying the next version, but imho the Kinect trick was played out with the original and it simply isn't as hot and New as the original and the temptation has cooled down.

I think you're underestimating the scope of what Kinect does. It can Skype and track the talking person. It can handle voice commands from a moving person while filtering out sound from a background conversation (unlike Google play) and it doesn't need you to wear a headset, like a greasy nerd from the 90's. None gamers can find anything they want on it without having to pick up a control pad and ask which buttons they press. Kids can jump around in front of it. It can log you on automatically.

"Hardcore gamers" can't help seeing Kinect as something that's supposed to substitute for a pad, and 1Bone as just MS's version of the PS4. It's not. MS are trying to do something else. They want 1Bone to be something the PS4 can't be because it wasn't designed with that in mind.

1Bone might ultimately fail, but it's trying to be something more than just a console that can switch from console gaming into a pad driven media system.

When MS designed the features for Kinect 2, certainly they must have envisioned some new game mechanic ideas?

Why for instance have it detect your pulse if there wasn't some specific gameplay idea to wrap around such a capability?

heart rate was for fitness apps, like Xbox Fitness, which is already available.

If I recall correctly there was an interview where they said that third party devs asked for that feature. I'd have to go looking to try to find the source for it, and my memory isn't perfect, so don't take me too seriously on that, but that's my recollection of it.

But it's also used in Xbox Fitness, as was mentioned.

All it would take is one game. One great game that utilizes Kinect in ways that we haven't seen before. Obviously the correct application hasn't come yet, but if and when it does it could ignite renewed interest in Kinect, especially in terms of family entertainment. If there's one game that gets released and takes off then other devs will follow. I just hope this actually happens.

heart rate was for fitness apps, like Xbox Fitness, which is already available.

I was gonna say, Xbox Fitness looks to me to be a killer app. Or have other consoles monitored your muscles, pulse and fitness from 10 feet away? If they have then I stand corrected but as far as I know that's a brand new thing, at least I've never seen that done before. As expected though it's not considered a valid product by gamers and hence doesn't exist, therefore kinect is used for nothing.

To contrast, a "game" like Killzone that is worshiped by core gamers is basically a nothing to me, it may as well not even exist, I could care less about it and it has zero relevance towards getting me to buy the box that it plays on. On the other hand something like Xbox Fitness is an awesome idea, a killer app that definitely breeds interest in the box that plays it. Different strokes for different folks as they say, but that explains why to some people kinect is a great thing in the box whereas to others it doesn't exist and/or isn't being used and/or isn't worth the $100. People need to understand that there are different interests and markets out there, and that just because they don't "see" kinect being used at all doesn't mean others share that opinion.

I was gonna say, Xbox Fitness looks to me to be a killer app. Or have other consoles monitored your muscles, pulse and fitness from 10 feet away? If they have then I stand corrected but as far as I know that's a brand new thing, at least I've never seen that done before. As expected though it's not considered a valid product by gamers and hence doesn't exist, therefore kinect is used for nothing.

To contrast, a "game" like Killzone that is worshiped by core gamers is basically a nothing to me, it may as well not even exist, I could care less about it and it has zero relevance towards getting me to buy the box that it plays on. On the other hand something like Xbox Fitness is an awesome idea, a killer app that definitely breeds interest in the box that plays it. Different strokes for different folks as they say, but that explains why to some people kinect is a great thing in the box whereas to others it doesn't exist and/or isn't being used and/or isn't worth the $100. People need to understand that there are different interests and markets out there, and that just because they don't "see" kinect being used at all doesn't mean others share that opinion.

How do you feel about Titanfall? Is the praise that game gets even though its rumored to not be using Kinect missplaced as well?

Its a serious question because I hear all the time from XB1 supporters how great Kinect is and how much its needed and then I hear these same folks cheering titles like Titanfall which isn't doing anything innovative with the tech. The same tech that we are told over and over is needed to save gaming.

Personally I think the potential for Kinect is huge and I'd love to see what a team like Media Molecule would do with it. But I also think really well thought out games regardless of control scheme will keep me entertained this generation.

How do you feel about Titanfall? Is the praise that game gets even though its rumored to not be using Kinect missplaced as well?

Titanfall isn't out yet so I presume all the current praise is simply the video game marketing machine at work. Having said that it doesn't interest me a whole lot.

Its a serious question because I hear all the time from XB1 supporters how great Kinect is and how much its needed and then I hear these same folks cheering titles like Titanfall which isn't doing anything innovative with the tech. The same tech that we are told over and over is needed to save gaming.

Gaming doesn't need to be saved, the console model does, that's what people like me have claimed. With NVidia's Tegra K1 eclipsing the power of old gen consoles in a mobile form factor, it's only a matter of time before the "new gen" console hardware will also start to seem old, restricted and limited. But no need to rehash all that, let's just let it all play out.

Personally I think the potential for Kinect is huge and I'd love to see what a team like Media Molecule would do with it. But I also think really well thought out games regardless of control scheme will keep me entertained this generation.

Sure, but that's what pc's, tablets, etc are for. I can play games at their best on my pc and also play those same games fully mobile on my laptop or tablet. It'd be silly of me to get a console just for games, that would be a downgrade in every way possible. No, it's stuff like kinect, xbox fitness, and unique ideas like that which are the pull to consoles. But just for games, why in heck would I go console? Again it's not something I really want to rehash so let's just watch it play out. It won't be long before phones are added to the mix and the same games can run on your phone as well as on your tablet, laptop and every other device you own. When that happens the silliness of the "game only" console model will become more clear. People can talk sales all they want but heck, Atari sold a ton of video games in 1982 as well. Things change, or more importantly the stage is being set for things to change quite dramatically as hardware continues to rapidly advance.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/ruminations-on-mclarens-title-sponsor/

Sony/Playstation rumored Mclaren F1 title sponsor according to insider

There are numerous possibilities for large-scale B2B in any deals involving McLaren and its sponsors, Sony and Honda and the team prides itself on being able to engineer deals that generate revenues for its backers, through business with other companies involved in F1.

Does this mean that Sony or one of its brands will be the McLaren sponsor? We will have to wait and see…

Mobile K1 discussion here

Well some of that is relevant to here, more specifically to Microsoft whose box is setup to runs apps, makes use of virtualization, uses shared os code across devices, etc, so it seems like they have an eye towards software unification in mind as part of their business plan, at some point anyways.

.....something like Xbox Fitness is an awesome idea, a killer app that definitely breeds interest in the box that plays it. Different strokes for different folks as they say, but that explains why to some people kinect is a great thing in the box whereas to others it doesn't exist and/or isn't being used and/or isn't worth the $100. People need to understand that there are different interests and markets out there, and that just because they don't "see" kinect being used at all doesn't mean others share that opinion.

I am curious as to what killer app games are in the pipeline beyond the already established exercise and rhythm games already available. I am one of those people who can't "see" this tech as anything beyond a niche gaming peripheral that can only effective for a very select genre of games.

The fact that games like Ryse and Panzer Dragoon were once Kinect only titles and MS strangely omitted any gaming software using it as a primary controller in their unveil and E3 conferences only enhanced my skepticism. Even MS doesn't seem to have confidence in Kinect as a gaming device which to me is a huge deal since it is such a large part of the entire system.

I am curious as to what killer app games are in the pipeline beyond the already established exercise and rhythm games already available. I am one of those people who can't "see" this tech as anything beyond a niche gaming peripheral that can only effective for a very select genre of games.

The fact that games like Ryse and Panzer Dragoon were once Kinect only titles and MS strangely omitted any gaming software using it as a primary controller in their unveil and E3 conferences only enhanced my skepticism. Even MS doesn't seem to have confidence in Kinect as a gaming device which to me is a huge deal since it is such a large part of the entire system.

D4.

And it doesn't need to be used as a primary controller to be useful.

I think you're underestimating the scope of what Kinect does. It can Skype and track the talking person. It can handle voice commands from a moving person while filtering out sound from a background conversation (unlike Google play) and it doesn't need you to wear a headset, like a greasy nerd from the 90's. None gamers can find anything they want on it without having to pick up a control pad and ask which buttons they press. Kids can jump around in front of it. It can log you on automatically.

"Hardcore gamers" can't help seeing Kinect as something that's supposed to substitute for a pad, and 1Bone as just MS's version of the PS4. It's not. MS are trying to do something else. They want 1Bone to be something the PS4 can't be because it wasn't designed with that in mind.

1Bone might ultimately fail, but it's trying to be something more than just a console that can switch from console gaming into a pad driven media system.
Your posts just square with what the non core public could think of the console.

A couple of days ago a friend of mine who got the Xbox One told me on Xbox Live that for him the appealing of the Xbox One was that it is capable enough to compete and his wife and his daughter liked it because of its Wii like philosophy.

Your posts just square with what the non core public could think of the console.

A couple of days ago a friend of mine who got the Xbox One told me on Xbox Live that for him the appealing of the Xbox One was that it is capable enough to compete and his wife and his daughter liked it because of its Wii like philosophy.

What philosophy is that, tons of licensed garbage? The two have little in common, there is no child friendly Kinect software.

Back