Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Isn't that the first data center they invested recently into? Few days or week ago in news, or something?

This flashed up on something like bbc news or something the other day, I presumed it was the server farm they were banging on about at the press conference, still its one hell of alot of investment in the sexbox infrastructure, even if its also used for azure for backup.

This flashed up on something like bbc news or something the other day, I presumed it was the server farm they were banging on about at the press conference, still its one hell of alot of investment in the sexbox infrastructure, even if its also used for azure for backup.

Yes but it's only one datacenter, they need to be investing a lot more all around the world, one center in the US isn't going to cut it.

Yes but it's only one datacenter, they need to be investing a lot more all around the world, one center in the US isn't going to cut it.

Its not only one data center. MS invested 8 billion into cloud computing R&D in 2011 and has been expanding its cloud service on a continual basis for quite a while. Its invested $630m in a data center in Dublin it opened in 2009.

In the US, MS has the Iowa data center with backups in Va or Washington. Its has the Dublin data center with a backup in the Netherlands and in Asia its has a Singapore data center with a backup in HK. Its also has a data center in Brazil.

Its expanding in Sinapore and planning two new data centers in Australia.

Its not only one data center. MS invested 8 billion into cloud computing R&D in 2011 and has been expanding its cloud service on a continual basis for quite a while. Its invested $630m in a data center in Dublin it opened in 2009.

In the US, MS has the Iowa data center with backups in Va or Washington. Its has the Dublin data center with a backup in the Netherlands and in Asia its has a Singapore data center with a backup in HK. Its also has a data center in Brazil.

Its expanding in Sinapore and planning two new data centers in Australia.

I know they have more data centers, I meant that they need to invest in them NOW like they did to Iowa (not necessarily same amount but you get the drift), the 300k servers up from current 15k needs to be spread around the world which means they need to do new investments in their data centers around the world, too.

I know they have more data centers, I meant that they need to invest in them NOW like they did to Iowa (not necessarily same amount but you get the drift), the 300k servers up from current 15k needs to be spread around the world which means they need to do new investments in their data centers around the world, too.

They are.

OK so the plot thickens:

Landmark Deal Between Microsoft And Time Warner Cable Brings 300 Live TV Channels To Xbox 360

http://microsoft-news.com/landmark-...able-brings-300-live-tv-channels-to-xbox-360/

Theres no way this isnt also set up for Xbox One in the near future. I wonder if this is also a semi-cable cutters play in that all you need is a TWC account and a 360 with Live and you can watch without even having a cable box...

The deal would actually be sweet if they were to offer offer either the 360 or XBLG as part of the TWC subscription. MS has to do more to bring the TCO down through bundling instead of driving prices up.

But it doesn't sound like all the channels, especially the popular ESPN channels don't see to be on the list?

So you'd still need a set top box for those.

I bet they negotiated rights with some channels to allow streaming and other channels want more money.

Anything would be a huge upgrade over the cable company equipment but they hold the reigns tight.

For instance, I heard that to get HBO Go on Apple TV, they had to jump through all kinds of hoops because the cable companies fought it. They don't like TV content appearing on other kinds of devices, which is why they really don't like Cable Card boxes that don't come from them.

But it doesn't sound like all the channels, especially the popular ESPN channels don't see to be on the list?

I bet they negotiated rights with some channels to allow streaming and other channels want more money.

Anything would be a huge upgrade over the cable company equipment but they hold the reigns tight.

For instance, I heard that to get HBO Go on Apple TV, they had to jump through all kinds of hoops because the cable companies fought it. They don't like TV content appearing on other kinds of devices, which is why they really don't like Cable Card boxes that don't come from them.

They also get rental fees per box if its their equipment.

True and the rental fees are ridiculous, like $16.95 a month for a crappy Motorola DVR.

However, you weight that against a $400 Tivo with its own monthly fees or $400 lifetime.

In any event, I don't think the cable companies will be in a hurry to let consoles completely replace their boxes yet.

The shortcoming IMO is not supporting XB360's headset. Anyoe who was using voice chat last gen has a headset already. In PS3's case, this was a BT headset, and I presume that'll work too with PS4.

This actually ties in somewhat with the BC thread. Peripheral BC adds value.

One person goes, "I bought a BT headset for my PS3 so I am happy it works for my PS4."

Another person goes, "I can't use the "free" headset I got with my 360 with my XB1 so Im mad."

Unless a lot of gamers bought the 360 because the PS3 lacked a headset, I doubt many will fault the xb1 for not coming with one.

I doubt the inclusion of a headset is anywhere near the top of the list of questions that your average gamer will need answered to determine their console purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:

The WatchESPN app on Android and Apple only works for subscribers of certain cable companies and Time Warner happens to be one of them.

Early on, yes. But I guess alot backroom negotiations has led to a reality where now many of those content providers embrace the smartphone and tab market.

We need to see the details but this could be a very positive development for MS, parents don't want to spend extra money on DVR boxes for kids rooms so if they can stream TV to the kids TV and avoid spending extra money or if the overall cost is less its a win. No doubt it will be offered on XB1 too.

I'm curious to see Sony's response. You would think that with all their movies and music they would leverage that to get deals in this space too. But then again how did Sony get beat by MS with an exclusive Netflix deal? They really need to push for more collaboration and integration across all their products and services......

The shortcoming IMO is not supporting XB360's headset. Anyoe who was using voice chat last gen has a headset already. In PS3's case, this was a BT headset, and I presume that'll work too with PS4.

On Twitter one of the Sony developers/staffers said that 99% there will be support for headset devices made for PS3 usable on PS4.

I hope it ends up true, because I just got a PS3 Pulse headset actually... got a good deal on it.

Seems like PS4 will support any BT audio device though which is good. Plus the headjack seems to be universal on the controller, also a good sign.

I think PS4 Eye is now proprietary connector though... kind of sad for that. I used PS3 Eye on my laptop sometimes, it was cool.

Too be fair, the new XB1 headsets look a lot more comfortable, they're now padded!

I'd probably want to buy one anyway. Provided they're like $15. It seems like Kinect voice chat is a decent default fallback too. I'd still rather they have included one, especially at the ridiculous 499.

Ballmer should have been fired a long time ago. He just sits in his high throne and is completely oblivious to what happens down below... I can't think of much he has done to help MS break into markets while he has been the top dog, and he has been the top dog at MS for a very, very long time. And unhealthy amount of time I might say...

Too be fair, the new XB1 headsets look a lot more comfortable, they're now padded!

I'd probably want to buy one anyway. Provided they're like $15. It seems like Kinect voice chat is a decent default fallback too. I'd still rather they have included one, especially at the ridiculous 499.

Huh? The 360 headsets have always had padding. The new XB1 headset doesn't look much different.

I think when MS decided to include Kinect for every system it was a sound business decision not to include a headset in every box. Remember headsets are for core gamers. I assume MS saw that the majority of users throughout the 8 years that received a free headset probably didn't use it. Either because they didn't play multiplayer games or decided that they wanted something better. I think the adapter will be a great way to transition some(especially for those spent big bucks on more expensive headsets). For those that just used the free/cheap headsets they are probably the ones that are most upset since now they will either have to pay for the adapter or buy another headset. Like dobwal, it's probably not a big question for determining console purchase for your average gamer. So, in the grand scheme I don't think it's big deal(mountain<-mole hill).

Tommy McClain

Xbox One Dashboard Created “With Advertising In Mind”

One of the biggest revelations that took me completely by surprise was when the Senior Digital Art Director/UX Designer very openly confessed how, like many gamers, he found the inclusion of Kinect movement gameplay completely unnecessary in some AAA titles. “Lots of people are using Kinect for voice control on dashboard and some games. I’ve played Mass Effect and Dragon Age and it’s awesome, it’s amazing. You can speak to your mates, to your teammates and make them do stuff, you can change your weapons. It’s brilliant, it’s great.”

it's all about personalized ads and they let you pay for it.

Arg, people continue to have this silly idea that "if I pay for something (aka Xbox Live), I should get no ads" when that isn't true at all in any other media: cable TV, theaters, DVD/Blu-ray discs, etc..

Back